Going nuts on nuts

Most people love nuts, that’s the huge problem with them. Why limit the most nutrient dense real protein source you can? Also, nuts aren’t filling your protein gap. Aside from plant based proteins not being as bioavailable, you need to acct for that with increased intake, but how much are you getting in? Maybe there’s stuff you left out, but from the sounds of it, I fear for your muscle and bone mass.

yea I feel ya and I had my crazy times also but my eating plan somehow has controlles that addiction trigger out of me as long as I stay off all carbs of course! After I eat a 1 lb. ribeye steak I can’t eat anything else…not even bacon :slight_smile: I hit total happy zone…now, not to say about 2-3 hrs I couldn’t hound down a lb. of bacon, oh yea I’ve done that but it was in early stages of my adaption onto my plan.

I gotta say bacon was my go to when I required something to eat IF I wanted to eat crap but now I don’t rely on it like I did. But I know I don’t do a few slices, I eat 1 lb. of bacon when I eat bacon. and darn I love it when I want it and even then, a lb. seems like a darn small pack once fried up :slight_smile: been a few times I hounded 2 lbs in a sitting…you know, I needed a snack!

Oh you guys… I still consider 60g bacon as much as I am able to eat :smiley: It’s good, I find it useful I can’t eat much processed stuff at once. Especially not salty ones but they feel odd in bigger quantities anyway. Maybe good but not “right” somehow.
Nuts aren’t proper food either, I never understood how my SO can go to work with a small box of peanuts and do 8 hours light physical work with some cycling/running… But he does it with almost any kind of food, all give him long term satiation.
But he rarely can stop eating (pea)nuts easily either so he carefully measures them and only uses them for planned meals, never “just to be sure”. He is often hungry quite a few hours before lunch and it sounds so horrible to me so I said why not to bring some nuts for that cases. He says he would eat them up. He is so very controlled though, he doesn’t get fat ever because he simply stop eating when it would be a concern - but even I can resist nuts easier. In the past I had problems but I had to START eating the stuff. I didn’t jump the little emergency/travel food box just because it was there.

(Denise) #24

I especially like Almonds & Walnuts. I’ll eat a handful of Almonds if I just want a bit of extra protein, and I eat walnuts every day in my yogurt w/blueberries ( 2 Good yogurt, just 2 g of sugar per 6 oz cup, which I just use 1/2 c per day). I do eat meat for breakfast and dinner so nuts for me are more of a snack.

I did get in the habit of eating peanuts in the shell and dropped them completely as I wanted to fast between meals. I usually ate too many which messed up my fat-loss plan and now I’m back on track. It’s the belly fat I struggle most with :grin:

(Denise) #25

I still don’t know how to pick out steak-type meat but would like to have more of that during the week for variety. I bought some flat-iron I heard was good and it was tough as shoe-leather, kind of like this suggests:

(Denise) #26

I’m with you on the liking nuts too much, and easy to eat, no cooking necessary. Some days I have to force myself to get up and cook, but it’s always worth it. I do try to make my meats something that will last 3 days, just reheat. I don’t do much steak as I’m not good at picking out things that turn out tough. We don’t have many stores to choose from, or steaks I can afford :wink:

flat iron is like skirt. you have to fast sear both sides high heat, then get it off, let it rest up a bit, then you have to cut against the grain…that is super important. against the grain in super thin slices is best and then it melts like butter in your mouth :slight_smile: but yea, flat or skirt are PIA cuts in a way unless ya treat them ‘just right’ :wink: I know it took me a while to get a handle on how to make them best.

OK I KNOW I got some type of conversion crazy calcs in my head but 60g is 2 oz. of bacon? is that right? cause girl I can suck down 16 oz in 2 mins. and knock back another easily!

but when I see 60g I swear I don’t get the conversion right in my head. 2 oz is like, what, 2 slices??

just asking cause I ain’t sure :sunny:

What I buy has very thin slices so it’s probably 3-4? :smiley:
And I often use bacon in itsy-bitsy cubes… But yep, 60g is much, more than what I possibly would want. Except maybe when somewhat hungry and the bacon is super crisp and even better taste wise than what I normally buy…
But it’s super rich, a tiny amount is enough!

I am like that with so many things. Flavorful things should be consumed in small amounts. Today I have an off day and we had our “goodbye summer” beer with peanuts. I went over what I felt like, I just consumed as much as I could (after getting full from my nice lunch). I prepared about 150ml beer and 10g peanuts, they were already there and planned (the peanuts only when I realized I can’t drink that much alone). Oh I barely could finish a bit more than half… But I was full.

I can do this with almost anything except my staples. I can eat much from eggs and fresh meat and certain dairy items. I have chances with some other stuff and I never could eat little from certain vegs and fruits (the vegs are out now, I doubt I could eat much of any of them) but usually I eat very little from other stuff. Nuts are totally other stuff now though if I was starving with a bag of peanuts or some nice real nuts and some other things so I could hope my hunger can chased away, I probably could finish 100g.

Bacon is some super fatty, super salty processed stuff, nice as a flavoring and crunch and that’s it. I need very much egg per slice (though I occasionally eat a slice alone but it feels wrong). Or leaner pork. I eat almost anything alone but bacon is very unfit for that. For me.
60g already needs quite a few eggs to balance out the saltiness and saltiness, maybe a bit less if I don’t consume the fat… I usually eat it all as I fry eggs with it.

(Denise) #30

I have to admit I can’t seem to figure out cutting against the grain, I’ve tried and failed to figure that out. I’ll make a note of your directions and appreciate them so much! My Grocery outlet gets a lot of steaks (quality not sure) but I suspect I just don’t know how to cook them. I’ll get some today though, and see how I do again. I love cooking stove-top, it’s quicker and easier clean up. I have a slow-cooker but like my meat med. rare. I can cook pork-tenderloin perfectly now, but I want more red meats :wink:

They also carry steaks like New York, and some other “fancy” names. I’ll make a list and let you know, maybe get help with cook them once in awhile too :wink:

(Denise) #31

I know I’ve found bacon w/o the nitrites (spelling?) and like 4 strips at times. My mild Sausage is my fave and easy to cook up and add to my morning omelettes:)

(Bob M) #32

If you have the time, this is the best way I’ve found to cook steak:

Warning: if you get super thick steaks, like Costco has at times, it can take hours to get to temperature. And my wife makes me cook them to a higher temperature in the oven, closer to 130F.

Pans work well for searing, though we bought a gas grill and use that instead most times.

Edit: oh yeah, he recommends peanut oil, but I use tallow or ghee.

oh I had to go on youtube and WATCH a million times what is ‘against the grain’ when ya slap down a slab of meat on a board and start to cut so believe me you are not alone on that one! I absolutely had to learn it and youtube is great for that! It has pictures :wink:

I tell ya youtube any cuts you are curious about. the internet will direct you truly on how to handle that cut to make it the best. I also had flat and skirt that were total jaw chewin’ crazy leather like you…being thin cuts these are on high heat and OFF fast, you must must keep that near blue rare inside and cut that grain.

when in doubt…do like me…youtube how to make that beef cut the best it can be. I know I done a ton of that research :slight_smile: and ya know, there are chefs out there that will tell you all on how to make the best of the best on what meats you get your hands on! Thank heavens for those people!

(Denise) #34

I’d love to try this Ribeye, it seems very popular from folks here. I wouldn’t buy super thick, it’s just for me so I would also buy small packs, although a good buy, maybe at Fred Meyer, I have a food saver and could divide them up and freeze them, if that doesn’t ruin them. Probably better fresh hey?

I hit the link.
total time 7 hrs?
WTH?
I do a perfect steak in 3 mins. on my stove or grill LOL
yea that is a ‘chefy’ way of cooking, sure ain’t me but I tell ya, many many zc people do reserve sear and more, I think they got that chef bone in their body and enjoy doing kitchen cooking. Not me ever.
but I can attest, my way is delish too and ‘perfect’ :smirk: but it is always nice to know so many ways to make great meats, find one that suits ya and you are a fan, have at it!

(Denise) #36

I know you’re right, just have to really put my heart into it and go watch some vids! I’ll get it, I’m determined now, especially since I’m really needing my meal to match me weight-training etc :wink:

yea weight training if you are ‘gonna go all in’ and go for it, the good meat proteins sure do help one nutritionally! rock on!!

(Bob M) #38

You know, I’ve never tested that – whether the same steak is better fresh or after being frozen then made.

If I have time, I do the Alton Brown method. If I freeze steaks, I use the sous vide then sear.

@Fangs The seven hours is so the salt on the surface causes proteins to be pulled to the surface, resulting in a better sear with more taste. It does work.

(Marianne) #39

Partly true. I think my problem on Thursday when I ate “one” nut (which then became more), was that it was late and I was needing to eat, and secondly and maybe more the case, my social anxiety was kicking in and I was feeling anxious. Munching on the nuts was I think an attempt to self sooth to some degree. I consider it a success that I ate a dinner that was appropriate, confined the nuts to only a handful, and didn’t get into anything else after I got home.

(Denise) #40

I’ve isolated too long, no social activities at all, so now I find it hard to attend anything social. I want to try though and am working on it. Now that I am becoming healthier I don’t want to waste what time I have left but being alone too much :wink: