Going number 2

(Tom) #1

Seem like I have problems going and have to take something to help. Is this a problem with keto

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and getting 2-3 teaspoons of salt per day. Those two are the reasons people get constipated on keto. Don’t go down the fiber road, and don’t try laxatives unless the salt doesn’t do anything in two days. If you’re already suffering try magnesium citrate. You can get liquid for constipation. If you think that after keto you just aren’t going enough although you feel okay that’s because carb foods make more fecal matter than keto foods. We all generally go less and in smaller bulk quantities. That’s normal, think less crap in less crap out. Keto foods are more fully absorbed by your digestion. I hope this helps straighten out the issue for you. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

In addition to what @David_Stilley said. No, not a specifically keto problem. More of a food choice problem. Cream cheese will do it for me, for example. Also, you’re eating more energy dense food on keto, so it takes longer for sufficient bulk to accumulate to stimulate a movement. Going less frequently is very different from being constipated.

(Troy) #4

BookmarkedđŸ€Ł

(Trish) #5

You will tend to go less as you are actually utilizing much more of what you eat and are eating less “bulkers and fillers” that cause more stool as stated above. A good brand of magnesium is Natural Calm. It’s a powder you mix in hot water before bed. It’s a sleep aid but also can act as a laxative. I would, however, recommend you try it on a night that you don’t have to work the next day just in case it works really well for you.
https://naturalcalm.ca

(mole person) #6

Did you have any other digestion related issues prior to keto?

The reason that I ask is that I still have issues with constipation even 2.5 years into a keto diet however I had the opposite problem for decades before I went keto due to IBS. I’ve heard several doctors now mention that such people can take a very long time to recover a more natural motility since the body has had many years of not needing any as a result of having bowel movements that are essentially ‘too easy’.

However, if you are still in the first couple of months of keto then you are probably just adapting. More salt helps a lot of people and I’ve heard many people have success with a magnesium citrate supplement.

(Wendy) #7

Pick up a fiber supplement. My husband frequently has that problem. He takes more fiber than I do. We use “Konsyl” you can get it at Walmart. Or online. It nothing in it but psyllium. It’s good to take even if you aren’t following a Keto diet. The American diet doesn’t have enough fiber. Just a suggestion. :poop:

(mole person) #8

I’ve tried fibre supplements many times over the years. Fibre actually makes me significantly worse. If I have any the constipation gets worse and I bloat terribly and have horrible abdominal pain. I’ve tried everything.

I’ve actually gone completely carnivore in order to avoid any fibre at all, and it has helped a fair bit with my bloating and pain but less so with the frequency of my bowel movements.

(bulkbiker) #9

Not sure I can agree with that
 as someone who eats a virtually fibre free diet then what you say is not a universal truth.
Often fibre simply makes the problem worse by increasing the traffic that isn’t moving anyway.

(Steaks b4 cakes! đŸ„©đŸ„‚) #10

Same here!! :rofl::rofl:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Great comparison Mark, it’s like the freeway is jammed and trying to push more cars in doesn’t help the traffic problem. The answer is less not more fiber, which is only necessary if you eat a lot of processed grains where the fiber has been removed. When you cut that out of your diet fiber supplements are completely unnecessary. I took stool softeners for years for chronic constipation while I was on dialysis and had to avoid fiber because it has a high phosphorus content. Once I switched to keto the stool softeners became “a problem!” and I dropped them. I was no longer constipated and although I stopped going as much the consistency became healthy again on it’s own with increased salt and low carbs with no grains. My digestion is better than it has been in years, no more pushing and spending twenty minutes on the toilet or feeling pain from blockages. I was hospitalized once from not going for over a week all the while continuing eating processed grains until I has to stop eating solids and had to go with liquid food because I was afraid to eat solids and making it worse. It was horrible and I got sepsis in my blood from a colon lesion, had renal failure and was hallucinating in the hospital. Never again! We shouldn’t try to fool mother nature by altering foods and eating a grain based diet.

(Wendy) #12

Guess you have to find what works for you. Everyone’s different. I dont have any illumination problems where my husband does. And we basically eat the same thing. He eats more seeds and nuts. I can’t due to diverticulitis. Funny when a “Poo” gets you excited!!
He has been on Keto for 10mo. Weightloss, 60#
Me since April. Weightloss #40.

(traci simpson) #13

Dr. Berry talks about diverticulitis and KETO! you should look it up.

(Wendy) #14

Is there an article on it? Or just look up Dr Barry?

(Wendy) #15

Thank you, just watched Dr. Barry’s video. Guess I will start including more nuts and seeds!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

There is no need to move your bowel on a schedule. If the diet is right, the body can take care of itself.

Constipation is having to strain to move the bowel, not having a day when no bowel movement is necessary. Enough salt and water generally make bowel movements easy, and the amount of fat we eat on a ketogenic diet also has a beneficial effect. Getting enough magnesium can also help, and the best sources are meat and dark green leafy vegetables (there is a magnesium atom at the heart of every chlorophyll molecule). Vitamins and minerals in food are generally better-absorbed than those in tablets and pills.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #17

I think, depending upon the person, any dietary change could cause constipation. I had a lot of constipation myself, for about the first 6 weeks
 But then again, I had major IBS (along with my Fibromyalgia) and went back and forth between constipation and diareah for 25 years !!!

Stomach has been great on keto for going on 2 months now :slightly_smiling_face:

(traci simpson) #18

You tube

(Wendy) #19

Thanks Traci! I’ve been watching his videos on utube. Lots of topics!

(David Jackson) #20

Seeing the trend of comments here rather cements the findings Ive had. Both from my own experience and what I’ve heard from others. It seems you’re normal!! We folks who live Keto are consuming less rubbish. Our foods are nutrient dense. And what we eat is processed rather efficiently. Meat based proteins have very little in the way of “cannot process;must discard” material.

I’d say that unless you’re in pain, you’re doing rather well. No need to stress. Keep up the good work.

I must also state that I’m no doctor.