Going crazy over OMAD

(The crazy German guy) #1

Hi Guys,

I’ve been on OMAD now for 4 weeks straight. Lost a couple kilograms, but now stuck.
I have no problem sticking to OMAD religiously. It is quite fun, actually.
I mostly have my meal at lunchtime. In the first 1 - 1 1/2 weeks i used that chance to eat everything i could, but these days i eat a normal sized dish, no dessert or anything. But, i don’t eat KETO.

Now, weight loss seems to slow down - even though i’m still well overweight. I think i’m stuck on this same weight now for over a week. One day down, next day up.

Is there such a thing as the body adjusting to OMAD? I don’t have extreme hunger or cravings anymore, but what about the metabolic rate, etc?

(Susan) #2

Why are you not eating Keto. We all are, and this is the Ketogenic forums, so I am wondering why you are surprised that you are not losing weight or are stuck on a plateau. Switch back to Keto, and then your body will start losing weight… simple really =).

(The crazy German guy) #3

I used to do KETO before and i just couldn’t stick to it. I’m traveling a lot and everywhere I go i get served some food which i can’t really choose upfront.
in my eyes, KETO and Fasting serve the same purpose: to get the body into Ketosis.
The question to me is: is KETO the only way, also when doing OMAD?

(Susan) #4

I think one of our forum experts like @David_Stilley, @RobC or @PaulL might have better answers for you on this =).

(Ashley) #5

Doing OMAD and it not being Keto, your probably not hitting ketosis. It’s usually a few days of having under 20g carbs.

(Susan) #6

As @monsterjuice has pointed out to be in Ketosis you need to have under 20grams carbs so the only way you can do this without actually eating Keto would be to Not Eat at all —Fasting. If you were to not eat anything but water and black tea and coffee for days, then sure, you can be in Ketosis, but if you are eating Carbage, then you are not in Ketosis.

As I said in my first response… we are all doing Keto here, that is the point of this forum. Why would you ask non Keto questions about food on the Ketogenic forums? That is what I am trying to figure out…

(Ashley) #7

It can be confusing, some people think short fasting puts you into a state of ketosis when in actuality it takes a few days when eating a lot of carbs to switch your body over. Daily carb intake would mean he’s probably never actually hitting ketosis cause his body is running off a different fuel source.

(Susan) #8

Yes, for sure, you are right, Ashley =). All I meant was that for him to be in Ketosis, he would have to be eating Ketogenically (and eating the 20 grams or less of carbs); or be totally Fasting.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

Dr. Fung, the Godfather (my title) of fasting doesn’t push a ketogenic diet. IF and EF can work no matter how you eat for weight loss by keeping insulin low for most of the day. It’s easier when combining keto with fasting because being fat adapted allows body fat burn to make up for food not eaten during your fasting window. This helps get rid of fat as well as the keeping insulin low to prevent fat storage. Keto with fasting is like adding steroids to the fasting process. So not hungry eating keto where eating carbs you will be during the Fast. It’s easier to comply with keto. However if you cannot do keto then I would suggest limiting carbs and being as low carb as you can. Focus on the more ketogenic choices so you will not stimulate as much insulin response and hopefully burn through what carbs you do eat quickly. No sugar for sure. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ashley) #10

It also depends on how many carbs being ate, some people can eat more and be in ketosis some less. Everyone’s body is different but I suspect he isn’t in it.

(Ashley) #11

Very true, I just meant probably not in ketosis!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

I like this video @steka I hope this adds to your understanding of the process. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Marianne) #13

What are you eating?

(Not a cow) #14

@steka
Check this link out about OMAD eventually reducing your metabolic rate. I have already been warned about being careful with OMAD, and to not make it a regular eating schedule.

(mole person) #15

Guys, we have to be careful about telling people that they have to eat 20 grams of carbs or less to be in ketosis. It’s not true for most people. The ‘less then 20 net gram’ carb number is the number below which almost everyone will be in ketosis and for that reason we recommend it as a starting value. However, lots of people are in ketosis well above that. I measured myself for weeks while eating loads of veggies, tons of dairy and a Mars bar every single day for an average carb count of about 85 grams and I was still in mild ketosis every day.

However @steka, the basic point is correct. If you are overeating carbs even while only having one meal a day you may not be able to lose weight. You may have a tolerance for carbohydrates that is well below what you are eating. I recommend at the very least, cut it back to 50 grams and see if you start losing again. If you do, you may be able to raise it some more and still be in mild ketosis. You may, however, find that even 50 grams is not low enough. It all depends on how deranged you metabolism is already.

Oh, and by the way, if you are consuming any other calories in your day, even cream or sugar in coffee in the morning, or a small snack after dinner than you won’t be OMAD. To really make that work for you it needs to be a single insulin pulse a day. So 100% of daily calories in a single feeding block of an hour.

(bulkbiker) #16

But it does no harm to anyone and probably will benefit most thus it is probably the best advice we could give?

(mole person) #17

I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t recommend it. I recommend it every day. I’m saying we don’t want to mislead people by telling them that they can’t be in ketosis if they are having more. There are loads of people on this board the don’t strictly follow the 20 gram carb recommendation and lose weight perfectly well on a ketogenic diet.

(Ashley) #18

We also went on to say some people can get away with eating more, so no one really said they had to be under 20, i specifically said “usually”. Not stating to start an argument, Just what was said.

^^ What Moo said. Look for the 2KD ep with Megan Ramos where she cautions against getting stuck in the OMAD rut - better to mix it up and keep your body guessing. ‘Fast and feast’, not ‘chronically undereat’.

(Robert C) #20

I think this point is important - 20 grams for some people will be so low they will feel they cannot tolerate this WOE. That outcome is not good if they would actually be fine with 40 or 50 grams (i.e. test as being in Ketosis with a blood ketone meter with higher levels of carbs).