Glucose higher when fasting?

(Jennifer ) #1

This is my 2nd 24+ hour fast. Normally my FBS is around 110-115, but this morning it was 140. I know all about the dawn phenom, but the “cure” for that is eating something higher fat before bed. Dr Fung says people who are very insulin resistant need longer fasts, but I’ve been a little discouraged when I fast and get HIGHER numbers. Thoughts?

(Barbara Greenwood) #2

What time is your last meal, i.e. how long into the fast is this higher FBS?

The rise should be short-term only - if you continue fasting, it will come down. And if you continue doing 24 hr fasts over an extended period, the effect should lessen as well.

(Jennifer ) #3

Barbara–this last one was a bit of an accidental fast- I had a cup of BPC for breakfast around 6:00am, and then was busy most of the day–at that point I figured, screw it, let’s turn this into a fast. I checked the next morning around 7:30, so a little over 24 hours. That’s what its been both times–just a little more than 24

(Barbara Greenwood) #4

Another thing to consider is whether you test at the same time. I’ve discovered through using the Freestyle Libre that my BG can rise quite steeply due to dawn phenomenon - and added to the normal up and down variation, if I test an hour later I could be 1 mmol/l or even more higher - easily 20 points on your scale - without eating or drinking anything.

Mine often goes up. I see it as my body reacting to the stress of fasting. It always balances out and I achieve a lower number after the fast. It will depend how high is high though.

(Jennifer ) #6

Thanks! It went back to “normal” (for me anyway) levels within a day or so. I’m going to start doing 2 24 hour fasts per week and see if, over time, it gets lower.

(Jennifer ) #7

Update. 3rd 24 hour fast done, and FBS this morning was 94! 90-freaking-four! I haven’t been below 100 since I was diagnosed in 2007. I needed a win to keep going, and this is most certainly that. Thanks, all!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #8

Congratulations on the new record low! Are you going to try to lengthen you fasts in the future?

Each subsequent day does become easier but you do need to practice fasting for it to be really easy.

(Jennifer ) #9

Thanks, Ron! I’m working on it–going to do 2 24-hour fasts per week for the next month, and then we’ll see. I think my next challenge will be a 3 day fast every other week in late April & May. Not sure a 46 day fast will ever be on my bucket list, but never say never! I love reading about your fasting adventures!