Glucose and Ketones after exercise

(Jillian Noel Valdez) #21

Mine do also this is after i worked out right now…

(Bunny) #22

The interplay of exercise and ketosis – Part II

What is up with the cycling? He’s drinking starch also before cycling? (this stuff “…of which 50 gm was Generation UCAN’s super starch”) That is really strange?

Reminds me of this:

1. “… The Cahill cycle, also known as the alanine cycle or glucose-alanine cycle, is the series of reactions in which amino groups and carbons from muscle are transported to the liver.[1] It is quite similar to the Cori cycle (Lactic acid cycle) in the cycling of nutrients between skeletal muscle and the liver. …” “…This cycle is an important part of mammal physiology, but although fish use alanine as a nitrogen carrier, the cycle is unlikely to take place in fish, due to their slower glucose turnover rate and lower release of alanine from exercising muscle tissue.[5] Its presence and physiological significance in non-mammalian land vertebrates is unclear.[6] …” …More
  1. LIST OF FOODS HIGH IN ALANINE

I remember when I use to ride my bicycle all the time (with no breaks on it, mind you, could stop the bike on a dime with my feet…lol) that was the thinnest and most physically fit I was in my life besides now!

1. The effects of alanine, glucose and starch ingestion on the ketosis produced by exercise and by starvation (1981): J 1. Several investigators have found that the development of post-exercise ketosis is not counteracted by glucose ingestion. Post-exercise ketosis might therefore have more in common with diabetic ketoacidosis than with starvation ketosis. 2. The effects of ingesting 100 g of glucose, alanine or starch were therefore studied in subjects rendered hyperketonaemic by prolonged running on a low carbohydrate diet, or by 65 h of starvation. These substances were also ingested by normal post-prandial subjects. 3. The runners developed post-exercise ketosis (1.81 +/- S.D. 0.81 mmol/l), which was counteracted by alanine and glucose, but only minimally by starch. 4. Fasting caused a variable ketosis (2.19 +/- S.D. 1.63 mmol/l), also counteracted by glucose and less by starch, but alanine caused vomiting. 5. Glucose and alanine lowered the blood ketone body levels of the post-prandial subjects. 6. The rising ketone body levels in starvation and after exercise were accompanied by simultaneous increases in the plasma insulin/glucagon ratios; in both, glucose ingestion increased the ratio further, while alanine decreased it. 7. It is concluded that there is no essential difference between established post-exercise and starvation ketosis, and that the blood fuel-hormone changes do not correlate with the changes in blood ketone body concentrations. …More
  1. YOUR BIKE IS ACTUALLY ONE OF THE BEST WEIGHT LOSS TOOLS AROUND. HERE’S HOW YOU CAN USE IT DROP POUNDS. - Jul 26, 2018: “… Yes, you lose weight when you cut calories, but all of those pounds lost isn’t fat. A significant percentage of weight loss —up to 30 percent—comes from muscle tissue. Cyclists on a diet often end up thinner, but become slower and weaker on the bike. …The more muscle volume you have, the more calories your body consumes. …” …More

What advice would you give to your newbie keto self?
High Intensity Training causing blood sugar spike
(Charlie Kathopoulis) #23

My understanding is that in high-intensity exercise, where aerobic metabolism cannot meet energy requirements, muscles can use pyruvate to produce ATP, which also increases lactate levels, which in turn can also be used as a fuel source. Also, I remember reading that amino acids, glycerol and lactate (even in ketogenic athletes) can be used to synthesise ATP and lactic acid, which in turn, can be converted to glucose in the liver. Maybe this explains the rise in glucose and lactate levels seen by people above? I’ll see if I can find my old text somewhere and check this information … like always take this information like your meat (with a pinch of salt :wink: )

(Bunny) #24

This is the machine I use at home to work out on for HIIT which is a Bowflex M7 MAX TRAINER that kind of mimicks exercise you would get from a bicycle with the added benefit of a little more upper body work out!

References:

1. High intensity interval training improves liver and adipose tissue insulin sensitivity Endurance exercise training reduces insulin resistance, adipose tissue inflammation and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), an effect often associated with modest weight loss. Recent studies have indicated that high-intensity interval training (HIIT) lowers blood glucose in individuals with type 2 diabetes independently of weight loss; however, the organs affected and mechanisms mediating the glucose lowering effects are not known.
  1. High-intensity interval training and calorie restriction promote remodeling of glucose and lipid metabolism in diet-induced obesity Exercise performed at either moderate or high intensity does not increase markers of adipose thermogenesis when performed in the presence of CR but remodels skeletal muscle metabolic and thermogenic capacity.
  1. Muscle irisin response to aerobic vs HIIT in overweight female adolescents Results: The levels of expression of irisin in skeletal muscle increased significantly after a session of HIIT (p < 0.05), while aerobic exercise no affect irisin levels. No significant differences between the groups in plasma irisin levels were found.
  1. “Irisin has a positive effect by turning white fat into brown fat and that it increases the body’s fat-burning ability.” …More image

(Bob M) #25

6.3 is the highest ketone I’ve seen. My highest recorded value was under 5 (4.7?) and that was after 4.5 days fasting. After about 5 years of low carb, I’m rarely above 1.0.

(Linnea) #26

I’m not sure if that’s accurate, ketones are a byproduct of your body using fat for energy I believe. Can anyone confirm?

(Kelly Silverman) #27

So I’m hoping this explains that I am doing something right! Because I workout fasted, and when I test before I workout… I’m usually 1.6… however after a workout I can be 2.0 or even 2.3. so I’m hoping that’s a good thing! I definitely don’t want to be doing anything backwards… seriously.