What advice would you give to your newbie keto self?

newbies

(Bunny) #23

I would tell myself about the BIG 7 even if I was contemplating not going keto (what I wish I knew all this before going keto):

1. Don’t eat processed foods/carbs if possible

2. Don’t eat too much sugar or artificial sweeteners and avoid it as much as humanly possible

3. Try to eat more organic (non-GMO) whole-foods foods if possible including grass-fed animal meats and fats like butter

4. Eat more non-processed fats/oils from veggies, fish and grass-fed animals.

5. Don’t eat anything with bleached flour, sugar, high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners

6. Starch is good not bad (if your not eating a bunch of sugar)

7. Bread is good as long as the grain it is used within 48 hours of being milled

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #24
  1. Control your carbs. Set a hard daily limit and keep to it. If it doesn’t move your markers, make it lower. 20g 30g 40g, doesn’t matter, so long as it works for you.

2. Prioritize Protein. Protein is the building block. It has so much upside and so little downside, regardless of what the anti-protein folks have to say about it.

3. Don’t fear fat, but don’t chase fat. There is no need to chug HWC or chew on butter sticks. If that does it for you, you do you. But most people can get by with animal proteins and the fat that comes with it, or a butter or cream forward sauce.

4. Get away from the seed oils and embrace fruit oils and animal fats. By fruit oils, I mean, Olive, Avocado and Coconut. By seed oils, I mean soybean, vegetable, corn and canola. Forgetting the processing of these fats, they are inflammatory and just plain crap for you.

5. Eat real foods. From the butcher case, the produce section, the fish stand, the egg and dairy section.

6. Don’t eat fake stuff. Sugar alcohols, glycerol, the green can of parm.

7. Reiterating 1-3: Control Carbs, Prioritize Protein, Fill with Fat. Never even think, "Oh noes, I had two grams too much protein and I need to chug some MCT oil to square my macros.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

On A: What?
On B: How can a normal person, or even an interested person possibly do that, without it being an avocation? Also, what?

(Bunny) #26

It’s all about the science my dear LeCheffre!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #27

Would you mind whipping it out? Or, as the keto kids of Missouri might say, Show Me (the science).

(Bunny) #28

For starters Fung 54:49 (cooked/processed)

We are talking whole-foods (unprocessed).

Just as it would not be logical to eat starch based foods (cooked) if your trying to initiate ketosis.

”…Is potato starch LCHF? Could it lower your blood sugar? Incredibly enough, the answer seems to be “yes”if you don’t heat it. …” …More

Ever eaten raw potato sticks or slices?

Dr. Peter Attia demonstrates this with his own n=1 experiment…

Can you explain the grain within 48hrs please

No, it can be toxic if you overdo it too!

(Bunny) #31

But that doesn’t mean people on KETO can eat it! I have a grain mill and used to mill fresh for bread. I was FAT!

(Bunny) #33

Bread can elevate and dysregulate the level of blood sugar in the body and if your dietary intake consists mainly of carbohydrates and is limited in fat and protein; that is why people get fat when they eat too much of it!

(What The Fast?!) #34

@atomicspacebunny do you think some people simply do better on higher carb though? My digestion issues are much better on a diet of whole grains - unless I supplement boatloads of magnesium, I’m clogged up with cement logs. :rofl:

(Bunny) #35

…Lol

I have eaten bread through my whole ketonautic journey with no problemos and as I mentioned above, the reasons bread ‘CAN’ be bad?

(What The Fast?!) #36

I missed that comment. I do wonder in general though about some people doing better higher carb vs higher fat - or a more “balanced” ratio in general.

You mean give up the powder of life?

(TJ Borden) #38

HEATHEN!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Bunny) #39

Lol :joy: I know cheating! Sitting here eating bread doing keto while everybody suffers!

(TJ Borden) #40

I’ve added beer back in (I’ve been a craft beer geek for years), and I know if might be stalling weight loss, but it doesn’t seem to affect blood sugar or inflammation much, so since I’m in it for the long game, I’m choosing to embrace the lifestyle aspect.

The Taco Bell runs as a result of impaired judgement from the beer are a separate issue.

Do you mean making trips to Taco Bell or…

(TJ Borden) #42

I suppose it works both ways :joy::joy::joy: