Giving thanks for non-scale victories!

What non-scale victories are you thankful for?

I just had one – my HbA1C blood test (average blood glucose) was taken yesterday, and I am now a 7.7. That is down from my highest recorded of 10.5 (though it was probably much higher than that when I wasn’t having it tested), and down more than a point since the 8.9 in July. I am not too surprised because I check my blood glucose every day throughout the day, but this number matters to doctors and it definitely highlights the trend… I am reversing my diabetes! Sometimes when I’m struggling with strange spikes and weight regain after fasts etc. I feel discouraged, but this is a good touch point to remind me I am going in the right direction. Deo gratias!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I bought two pairs of pants at Goodwill a couple of weeks ago, each a different size. I intended to wear the larger pair until it got too large, but I started out by putting on the smaller one without realizing it. It is a little difficult buttoning them up, but they fit! I haven’t been able to wear size 38 in about a decade, and I haven’t had a 36-inch waist since I was about 36! :bacon:

I started all this for the metabolic healing, but boy am I grateful for the fat loss, too!

Awesome, what a nice surprise!

Woo hoo, another great sign, my fasting insulin result just came back, also improved (along with fasting glucose and A1C):

(sandra) #5

Fibrosis and Simple Cysts in the Breast… (took that off a webpage)

I was reading a post in another group on cysts when I had the realization that the cysts I have had since my teens are now completely GONE. Along with the discomfort during my period that was common most of my teen and adult life. Funny I noticed the pain gone but had not noticed the cysts (not super diligent in self breast exams) Watching a podcast on fasting is also when I realized all my skin tags were all gone as well… funny how we get used to things and stop noticing them! SUPER GRATEFUL! :wink:

(sandra) #6

Here is one of my favorite ones… A gal, Rebecca posted two simple pictures one day. I was so inspired by this simple post that I made a meme, It is my fav :wink:

The last pill left was/is 1/2 of a blood pressure med.

Wow, that is amazing! Great news, thanks for sharing.

(Zoe ) #8

My fasting insulin is back in normal range too! Thanks KetoDudes, IF and working out. I have been on metformin and lowcarb ish for years and it has helped but now I am back in normal range. So happy.

Congrats, great news! Are you still taking metformin? I am currently taking berberine which has a similar effect, or so I’m told. I could not tolerate metformin, even the extended release.

(Zoe ) #10

I am still taking metformin. I find the extended release works well with me at about 1mg a day. If I go up it doesn’t sit so well on my stomach. I hope berberine is working for you. Let me know how it goes. Metformin seems to work with me and my understanding is that it has some other positive effects especially with another medication I am taking that can have a metabolic impact.

(Daryl G Jackson ) #11

On keto since 12/5/17, have worn size 36 501 levis for the last decade. A year or so ago I bought a size 34 501 jeans, most zipper jeans I can get into a 34 but not 501 button downs. I just bought 3 more pair of 34 501s when I started this diet a month ago, I now fit into them comfortably. I still wear the 36s but waiting to get into 32s before I change my wardrobe.

(Brian) #12

Non-scale victory I’m thankful for: remission of Dunlap’s Disease.

The belly no longer laps over the belt like it has for so many years. I now have two very large dents in the sides of my belly and another dent below the belly button. The “roll” that emerged around where the top of the pants go is decreasing in size, too.

I’ve been working with a friend of mine who knew me then I was at my heaviest, helping with a woodworking / large platform building project. He commented that I’ve really lost weight and noted that my belly wasn’t nearly as big as it used to be. That was a really nice compliment, and totally unsolicited. He had caught a side view and there is definitely a real and significant change in appearance from 6 months or so ago.

Wore 44 pants for at least 5 or 6 years. Now wearing 42 and thinking I could pretty easily go to 40’s. Might pick up a couple of pairs in a thrift store if I get a chance but am not too anxious to spend much on clothes while still reducing. Being in the 30’s again would definitely be awesome, though. :slight_smile:

(Gail P) #13

I was a walking mosquito smorgasbord all my life - until keto. I’ve not had bug bites for a couple of years, and guess what? My WOE has been LCHF for about two years.

Mosquito bites

I’ve noticed I don’t pick my fingers or chew my nails any more - a habit I’ve had since childhood - my hands look nice!!

I would be very interested to hear of other people who’ve noticed something similar.

(Gail P) #15

Good for you!
I weirdly began biting my nails AGAIN, and only recently broke the habit AGAIN.

My nails now have ridges. I’m currently taking B12 to see if that’s what is missing.

Any thoughts?

When I began taking my ADHD drugs - Concerta, an extended release ritalin - it seemed as if my hair was falling out.

A pharmacist said take vitamin B7, Biotin, 1000 mcg daily - so I am - and my hair is no longer falling out and my nails are strong.

Recommended.

(Gail P) #17

When I go up and down the stairs in my house, the only sound is my shoes on the floor - no creaking!

(Brian) #19

Thanks, Victoria. :slight_smile:

Since the post you commented on, I’ve gone to size 38 pants and those are not tight. I’m not ready for 36 yet but I’m in no hurry. I had been in a bit of a lull, a plateau, for the past couple of months and it’s finally going down again. It happens. That last 20 pounds may take a while but no worries.

“Bellyman” is actually a job title, though it did work pretty well as a personal description for a long time. I worked on pianos for a lot of years. The kind of work I liked the best was building new soundboards, bridges and pinblocks, as well as the restringing. That part of a piano is known in the trade as the “belly” so the person who’s job it is to do that kind of work is a “bellyman”. I don’t do a lot of that kind of work anymore so I have to admit that it may be getting a little closer to retiring that handle, not really sure yet. There is a “belly” (of a piano) that’s practically waiting for me if I want to do it… two of 'em, actually… Don’t know yet. It’s a lot of work, and expensive. And I kinda get occupied with other stuff.

(Victoria ) #20

Thanks for the background, Brian. It never occurred to me that pianos have bellies too!

(Brian) #21

If nothing else, it was a distraction for those looking for something different to read about. LOL!! :slight_smile: