Give it more time?

I’ve not much to loose (8-10 pounds)
Ive done 5 weeks of keto, I’d say the last 10 days have been the best, I’ve simplified my diet to eggs, cheese, Meats in various forms.
I’m only down 2 pounds from my very first starting weight, I’ve lost and gained the same 2 pounds all these weeks.
I’m below 20g carbs, metal taste in mouth and positive pee sticks so I’m assuming I’m in ketosis. I am not going over 2000 cals per day, however I am eating well and enjoying my food, getting into making keto snacks etc
Anyway, do I just give this more time to see my weight go?
Already not having the tired sluggish feelings in the afternoon which I love, had a lazy day at home today and did not have a cat nap which I usually always used to do!

(Pete A) #2

5 weeks is too soon to stop!

You will get there.

(Robin) #3

Congrats. You are on the right track. Since you don’t have much to,lose. It will be slower than those of us who had a LOT to lose.
But pay the most attention to how your clothes are fitting, how your body feels. Changes are ha-pending and often the scale is the last to know. No worries.
You got this!

(Allie) #4

How else are you measuring your progress apart from the scale, are you taking measurements? The scale is the worst guide to use as it will show you’re physically heavier while your body is actually smaller and has lost fat.

How much are you eating aside from the 2000cal total? How much protein, how much fat? Does your metabolism support eating, 2000 cals a day? Are you tracking to make sure you’re consistent? Physically active? All of it comes into it.

Sounds like you’ve improved from the energy front, but possibly eating above your needs. Losing/Gaining the same weight over and over again is a pretty dead giveaway.

I’m not tempted to stop, feeling good, cravings gone, definitely into this new WOE

Clothes definitely fitting better for sure, I guessed that was because I’ve de-bloated a fair bit.

My body has switched from a diet of mainly sugar, 2k-3k calories per day, to my current diet
Got to the stage when I eat when hungry so sometimes have breakfast and sometimes just a coffee, having spinach, bit of cheese with every meal.
The first few weeks I was tracking and would definitely have mostly fats, then protein and under 20g carbs.
Not tracking now as kind of got used to the amounts and having same meals

I’m scared if I start eating less calories it will feel like a ‘diet’ and more likely to break.
I’ve done keto before with the same amount to loose and it was all off within 3 weeks and that was with about 75% dedication. This time I’m 100% dedicated.
In terms of exercise I’ve 2 physical jobs and also 3 children so I’m not sitting down doing nothing at any time of the day, always on the go.

(Allie) #10

Use that as your guide. The number on the scale is worthless. Humans have been conditioned to think that number is what matters most but it’s not, and with so many variables it just can’t be. I’m physically smaller now at 130lbs than I was when I weighed 115lbs and way healthier and more energetic.

Sounds good at face value, but its clearly not working towards your goals. In those cases I revert to that old insanity definition of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I’d track everything so you have some data to work with, otherwise you’re making uninformed guesses.

Whether you act on what you learn or not is your call, but without info you have nowhere to go.

I never lost any fat eating 2000 kcal either, that was my maintenance calories… I had way more fat to lose but well, I just wasn’t big or active enough to use up more energy. Very normal and unsurprising. Ketosis doesn’t guarantee fat-loss, it’s not magic. At least for us normal people… :wink:

5 weeks is a very short time though, you probably aren’t even fat-adapted yet. Patience.

And most of us don’t do keto just to lose fat, it may give us other benefits. Normal keto didn’t help me much but I got fat adaptation and that changed my hunger for the better. But being stricter eventually showed me the way where more benefits were waiting for me.

Yes, it was the case with me. 2000 kcal is so very little food already, I just couldn’t go under on mere keto (and I need or can’t avoid my 3-4000 kcal days, apparently) and I got the exact same result as on higher-carb: stalling, barely but yep. I had to try carnivore to go below and it doesn’t happen all the time… I actually KNOW how I should eat at this point, after years and years of experiment and observation but I still needed years of training (and need more) just to start losing fat…
Hopefully it will be way easier for you but if you will stall (you clearly don’t do it as your body changes, anyway, 5 weeks is too short for that), you probably will need some tweaking.
I personally need my high-protein for satiation and to get this protein, I always got too much fat before (I don’t like most lean things). I need to focus on the leanest protein sources I can eat in bigger amounts and then it’s fine. (Except I will miss fat but I do that anyway, my desires are excessive.) Calorie counting had some use, after all :slight_smile:

But satiation isn’t all about macros, of course, not even for me. Some protein sources are better than others. If I ate much chicken, I would overeat like crazy all the time.

Why has this worked so well for me before, at least twice in the last few years that stand out to me, both times within weeks there was a massive scale change and I feel much more precise and dedicated this time. Maybe age?
I’m keeping going anyway not stopping now.

No idea but I have heard the same from several people…
And I lost fat easier 10 years ago with WAY more carbs, no fat adaptation and at that curious time NO activity, less knowledge too… Everything I do differently now should help but it’s still harder. Sigh. Oh well, I will make results happen eventually.

forget scale weight point blank.
MANY come to lose 100s of lbs or like 50-80 lbs and NEED big changes to happen but NEVER saying big changes won’t come to you but with less to lose and hitting some number on a scale is useless.

Just eat to live. Keto Plan will give you just that.
You must think truly ONLY non scale victories at this point.

Why the obsession with the last 10 you need gone to accomplish what?
Yea I had to deal with that and it was my worst nightmare literally…you sound healthy, great family, good life I assume and things seem in balance but the ‘10 lbs is a focus’ I think should be put elsewhere. Dump the dieting crap from your brain on the scale game!

Eat your Keto Plan. You feel better and doing ok…NOW WHAT? Life is WAY more than that 10 lbs so pick and choose another focus. Literally. Wanna hike more, do it…easier trails with your kids to enjoy life, plan it. A vacay for family on little excersions go for it! I would focus way off this ‘last 10’ as some kinda ‘thing’ that means squat and focus on that better health that gives you a massive well being to improve life for all in your family :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

OK THIS IS JUST a personal chat on it all from me to you in that as I got healthier the weight of some last lbs means squat, I found I needed to look beyond me and into the universe to see where my footprint is best served ya know…yea that mindset change of I am doing for me thru healthy eating now the focus CAN be XYZ or ABC as one deems super fit to their lifestyle and desires and needs in their family.

You are OK and doing well eating your plan…think extra here now. outside the ‘diet box’ and you can find so much to smile about if you go that way ALL the time changing the body still thru just eating Keto Plan and staying healthy to do just that.

Our lives can never be just us, all we are ever, on an eating plan, mindset has to go further. Again this is ME and what I HAD to learn and just throwing that forward to you!!

Just a chat on how I see it!! :slight_smile: :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

The scale can be wacky, because it is possible to add lean mass even while shedding excess fat. Since fat is much less dense, we can see the effect more in our clothing than on our scale.

For example, after my initial 80-lb./36-kg weight loss, I had a further twelve months of stable weight, but accompanied by the loss of another couple of inches from my waist. That tells me I was putting on an equivalent weight of lean mass to balance the weight of the fat I was still shedding.

sure the scale wacky definitely right and soul suckin’ add in there too! :wink:

to think our human well being and more on this planet, as a being to grow and change and adapt and enact real change to this realm is SO wasted against ‘a scale’ that inhibits?

ugh I AM SO over the f’in’ scale.

ALL should be wiped off the entire planet other than a few in Drs offices THAT NEED that weight INFO to adminster correct life saving prescip drugs to help a human suvive!

ok chat up that one for me HA

(Marianne) #19

You’re right about that. If you are hungry or craving, you won’t be able to maintain this. Keto doesn’t require it and actually discourages it. Eat clean, one-ingredient foods (okay if you combine them to make a recipe or meal), eat to satiety, cuts out the snacks and any measuring devices (including the scale), and live your life. Keto is so easy and such a miracle! Best to you!

(Megan) #20

Hi Kjan, welcome.

What is your reason for moving to a keto way of eating? Are you planning to keep eating the way you are once you have lost the few pounds you want to lose?

5 weeks of 100% commitment is great. Sometimes that’s the hardest thing - deciding what foods we will eat and how much and sticking to it. If you plan to do this long term, and there are some great reasons for planning to, keep eating well and enjoying your food, in my opinion. Dieting depravation, be it physical and/or psychological, is a “diet” killer. Definitely give it more time and enjoy your increased energy levels.

Changes/healing we can’t see are happening inside when we ditch carbs. Ditch processed seed oils too, if you haven’t already. Avoid or severely limit anything processed. Eat clean keto foods and give your body time to heal/change. Weight loss is possible with keto, many people do lose weight, some dramatically, but it’s not a quick fix way of eating. It’s a healing, health promoting way of eating.

If, once you are fully established on and committed to a keto way of eating, you want to specifically focus on losing those last few pounds, there are some tweaks you can make. But, given you sound like you are close to what you consider an ideal weight for you, you may get to a place you are happy with how your body looks and feels, even if the scales don’t reflect that. Allie’s (Shortstuff) experience of being physically smaller now at 130lbs than she was when she weighed 115lbs and being way healthier and more energetic is not an uncommon experience.

Wishing you all the best!