Getting Started

Have had trouble getting any low carb diet to work for about 15 years now. I even gained 10 lbs. on a vegan diet over 4 weeks! Comments made here about too much fat being recommended for start up brought back a distant memory of the Stillman Diet, which I used once with great success. So I tried it again and low and behold I have lost 18 pounds in 4 weeks. When I use the keto diet, I neither gain nor lose so that is my plan for maintenance, once desired weight is reached…

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #2

What is the Stillman Diet? the other comment mentioning it is the first I’ve heard of it.

(Carl Keller) #3

High protein, low fat, low carb.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #4

thanks!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

How long did you give keto a try as a weight loss tool? I’m not surprised about the vegan weight gain, most vegans are either suffering from malnutrition and/or having the same insulin resistance and diabetes issues that are associated with the SAD. So much vegan junk food out there nowadays.

I am surprised that you are successful with the Stillman Diet but keto is not working as a weight loss tool. It seems to me they are very similar although I haven’t read up on recommendations as far as what foods are good with the Stillman Diet. I only have heard it referenced as a pre Atkins LCHPHF diet. I wonder in particular about the carb allowance, protein levels and type recommended and what fats are ideal.

I used the Keto for about a year and a half. Eating keto foods did give me a bit more energy but no weight loss. The diet regemin is available through internet search. Some advantages have been gained since it first was published, however. Now available are no-carb, no-fat supplements such as psylium for fiber and fruit/veggie micronutrients to make the diet more healthful. I have also added mushrooms as they have almost zero carbs and fat. It is not for weak-willed dieters, as it can be very boring unless one can afford lots of shellfish. One must be really determined to lose, no matter what the dietary restrictions are.