Getting sick of meat

(Hong Kaing) #1

Hello my keto friends , I started my keto journey for 4 months now but can’t stay in ketosis for longer then 2 week because I would get sick of meat by week 2 and start to eat breads and potatoes or just carbs again and would have to go back into ketosis later . I just want to know if there is anything that can help motivate me to keep eating meat and stay in ketosis because this is really slowing down my weight loss goal.

(Laurie) #2

Sorry you’re having a rough time.

What kind of meat to you eat? Do you also eat chicken, fish, eggs, and cheese?

(Brian) #3

Variety, maybe?

Beef, poultry, fish, etc. And made in different ways. For instance, fish could be baked or boiled, or it could be made into something like salmon patties or tuna salad. Poultry could be breaded or baked, fried, even made into something like chicken parm. The list of possibilities could get quite lengthy.

Also, no one says you can only have meat with a ketogenic diet. There are quite a few veggies that are allowed though potatoes are not such a good choice. Greens, cruciferous veggies, numerous squash, asparagus, mushrooms,… there is stuff to eat. Oh, and eggs and full fat dairy often fit in fairly nicely with the keto way of eating.

Have a look at the What did you Keto today? Part Deux! thread. A lot of people posting what they eat for a typical meal.

Maybe it will inspire you with different meal ideas, and not just ones with meat.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

The only person who can motivate you to continue eating this WOE is yourself.
We don’t know your reasons, medical condition etc, and it’s not our job to convince you otherwise.
You should use the fact that you don’t want to feel shit, as motivation. Are you sick of feeling the way you have for how ever many years? There’s your motivation. Stick to it. We can’t lose the weight for you.

The thing is: If you’ve been derailing every two weeks by returning to high carbs, you are probably still not 100% fat adapted - and so you’re not gaining the benefits, alas. :frowning: You have to do the strict keto for about six weeks to get to the 100% point (and for some midlife or metabolically deranged folks, it can take even longer). The body is addicted to carbs/sugars, and has to go through a withdrawal period while changing over its systems and stabilizing. Carb withdrawal is serious!

Also - you didn’t mention your stats and if you’re obese and IR or not, but keto isn’t about weight loss per se. It’s about body recomposition - losing fat and restoring muscle & bone, along with healing internal organs and gut health. For those who aren’t obese to begin with, the scale may not change much - or it may increase, due to gaining muscle mass, bone mass, and good bacteria in the gut!

How about enjoying a ton more low-carb veggies and even daily fruit (in moderation and only if you don’t have bingeing problems, such as a 1/2 cup of berries, or an avocado or two a day as well as fresh coconut and even a little fresh banana if you can portion it) - along with more sauces/spices/dips/marinades to make different types of flavor profiles for your cooking?

Spices motivate me A LOT and make the kitchen smell tasty. I make coconut porridges that start with spice-perfumed ghee (roasted mustard seeds, black cumin seed) and then I add 1/3 diced onion + 5 chopped Thai green chillis, then a few minutes later I lower the heat and add 1-2 tablespoons fresh shredded Ginger and a tablespoon of tomato puree and sea salt - 3-4 tblsp coconut flour mixed with 2 eggs, stir it a bit, then add a cup of pre-boiled water - simmer it for a couple minutes until it thickens. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of lemon juice and serve with a little yogurt and extra salt. I also replace the eggs in the porridge sometimes by adding 4 tablespoons of undenatured raw grassfed whey powder at the end. Most all the keto food I eat involves a spice-perfumed ghee or coconut oil base somewhere.

You can definitely eat less meat, on keto. - incorporate more grassfeed yogurt/cheese/eggs/undenatured whey protein along with seeds n’ nuts and go Keto Vegetarian for a bit if you need to, or, just eat meat for one of your meals of the day, and have the other two meals feature animal products or nuts/seeds for your protein. Once you’re 100% fat-adapted your appetite may greatly reduce, and you may find yourself not needing to eat as frequently and overall eating less meat!

If you’re clear about your motivation and goals and understand keto as an adventure in personal training & body recomposition - it’s easier to go through it. I also recommend watching some of the keto documentary films for inspiration (The Magic Pill, and The Cereal Killers, etc).

For further encouragement, the LCHF/keto book Protein Power by Mary Dan Eades MD and Michael Eades MD goes into fascinating detail on the powerful role that whole foods proteins play in body recomposition and health.

:coconut::herb::avocado:

(Bunny) #7

Hmmmnmm! Motivation?

Differences are between spiking more insulin than glucagon, the more insulin (only) you spike with bread[1] (worst thing you could ever do) and potato’s (not a good source of resistant starch) and other highly refined and processed foods is e.g. increasing your risks of cardiovascular disease especially with the kind of switching back and forth that your doing and with no dietary fat (never mix sugar and high carbs with lots of dietary fat), you are basically trapping the cholesterol in your blood stream so it sticks to your arteries (radial arterial calcification) and increasing your chances of stroke from blood clots (increasing your risk of radial arterial damage due to advanced glycation end products) to name a few…

Footnotes:

[1] …that includes pastas, cereals, refined bleached flour. Ground up grains are not the same thing as seed flour unless it is freshly milled and used within 48 hours i.e. baked!

Have you tried any of the keto buns or breads?

I eat more veggies now than I did before keto. There are lots of options.

For me, a lot of the “variety” in keto comes from the spices I add. Smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, curry powders, chili powder, ground red pepper, …

(Carl Keller) #9

If you google “meatless keto”, you will find lots of ideas for what to eat… and if you try to remember that refined sugar is probably the most addictive substance on the planet and that it’s wreaking havoc on people’s health, maybe that will be enough motivation to keep you on track.

Good luck.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

The Magic Pill is on Netflix and it is the most inspiring film about food and dietary needs that I have ever seen. :star::star::star::star::call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

I was a cook and baker professionally for my whole working adult life and I could never imagine giving up grains and sugar and potatoes. But since being on keto strictly for 4 months (besides a brief reprieve Thanksgiving day for some mash potatoes and sweet potatoes) I have felt so good after the initial sugar withdrawal that I don’t miss bread and pizza and stuff that I used to love to eat. As a cook I have enjoyed the challenge of pushing my skills to have some of the foods that I used to eat become keto friendly recipes. A hunk of plain meat and a side of veg can get boring day after day. Try zucchini noodles or coconut flour pancakes and the many other ideas you will find with google, Pinterest and the net in general. After you get some experience under your belt you will begin adapting recipes that you used to eat enjoying them without the carb rich ingredients. I’m happy with homemade raw sauerkraut with a couple of brats and some mustard and pickle, no need for bread too. I don’t even think about it anymore because it’s not an option with my lifestyle change which has made me feel and look so much better. That’s the jist of it. When you know better, do better. Eating can still be an adventure and one of life’s greatest pleasures on keto.

Speaking of sauerkraut, any idea how to avoid mold (the result when I tried it a couple of times)? I used a jar with a fermenting lid and weight to keep the cabbage submerged in liquid, but still ended up with mold. : (

I really want to be able to make it.

(Todd Allen) #13

If you get sick of meat eat less of it. There is no meat requirement. The only requirement is to restrict carbs to a level that keeps you in ketosis.

(Katie) #14

A few suggestions:

1. Make sure that you are getting a variety of meats: fish (salmon, tuna, sardines), eggs, beef (various cuts and organs), pork, lamb, chicken, turkey

2. Play with putting various sauces on them: dressings (read the labels!), mayo, olive oil, hot sauce

3. Change up the seasonings (check the labels): taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, masala, smokey seasonings

4. Cook up some good recipes from this forum, blogs, YouTube, a keto cookbook…

5. Try playing with temperatures: if you normally eat a meat hot, try it cold, and visa-versa

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

Here’s my last batch finishing up and about ready to transfer to mason jars for storage in the fridge. There are various vessels that you can ferment in. The silicon lids on mason jars are sometimes problematic as the are not truly air tight. If you want sure success I recommend a fermentation crock with a water lock lid. However I make fermented vegetables in the 2ltr. tall pasta storage jars with the wire bail lids. They are old thrift store finds and since I don’t eat spaghetti anymore well…had to do something with them.

If the mold you mentioned was white kind of slime and not fuzzy stuff it was not mold. It was kahm yeast which happens when lacto fermentation is in contact with oxygen. It is harmless although not tasty. You can skim it off and a few little bits won’t hurt you or be noticeable taste wise. I use a Ziploc bag filled with extra brine on top of the vegetables to keep them under the brine. It keeps oxygen from the ferment and the gas can escape around the sides against the of the jar. It’s simple and it works. Make sure you have extra brine for the Ziploc because if it leaks you will dilute your brine if the bag is filled with water. I’m happy to offer advice and tips to anyone, message me if you like.

Those are beautiful! The mold was a dark grey. I had heard that it wasn’t terribly harmful and can be skimmed, which I tried, but the result had a nasty medicinal (think old school cough medicine) taste.
: (

(Sophie) #17

I recently bought one of these and I’m excited to try it out! One question though…how do you remove the water from the lock when you want to remove your kraut? Soak it up with a paper towel or something?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

I used a turkey baster and then a paper towel. It was a little slimy in the trough after 6 weeks but the sauerkraut was perfect.

I feel you. I sometimes miss the versatility of pasta/rice/potatoes, so I put a lot of effort into making varied flavors and cuisines. Some of my go-tos are cheese shell tacos with chipotle chicken, Asian lettuce wraps, ground beef stroganoff, ribs with homemade BBQ sauce, and almond flour crusted chicken with Alfredo sauce. Basically if I’m craving a carby meal I just skip the carb part of it.

I started a batch of curtido tonight. I am just using a ziploc bag. Wish me luck. I will be so excited if it turns out.