General sous vide recipes

(Victoria ) #41

If you’re interested in searing options for your sous vide meat, you should check out this video with Kenji López-Alt and Adam Savage…

(Doug) #42

Sirloin Tip or “Beef Knuckle” - a very cheap cut of meat; some work to finish-butchering it, if one wants to have pristine steaks without connective tissue in them.

Got 10 nice little steaks - lean like filet mignon.

Sous Vide @57 °C or 134 °F. Aiming for Medium Rare but the more-well-done end of that range. Then seared in a thick, hot frying pan with olive oil smoking a little, ~45 seconds each side.

7 hours sous vide = nice steak, not as tender as filet mignon (which is 7 times as expensive) and not as flavorful either, but not bad at all; about a 7 on a 0 to 10 scale.

17 hours - slightly better; surprisingly similar to the above. 7.5.

25 hours - better yet, the most “classy steak” appearance and taste, despite the long cook time for steak. 8. Serious good value for the money.

52 hours - noticeable change, now like in-between a steak and a roast. Slight shredding of the meat, so cutting through gives a rougher, somewhat terrycloth-like surface. Perhaps the meat was more relaxed in this state and “sat down” more in the hot pan - ended up with a truly beautiful yet thin sear that my wife and I both loved. This was both our favorites, I’d say 8.5 or even 9, getting into, “Whoa, that it GOOD!” territory. Longer sous vide times with cheap cuts of beef seems to be working out here.

Would have been fine/perfect a few degrees less or more cooking temperature, according to taste, at every stage, from all I could see.

Ok, this sounds great… But where’s the pics? :smile: Would love to have seen some along with the descriptions. :+1:

Thank you, Victoria. I will take a look. Sorry for the late reply, as our notifications are presently still not working, I didn’t see it until @OldDoug posted to bring it back to the top. … thanks again.

(Running from stupidity) #44

They’re going brilliantly if you’re after seeing stuff posted nine days ago :slight_smile:

Yeah, and apparently I just woke this morning to a boat load of oldies. So hopefully this push might have just caught everything up? We’ll see.

(Jane) #46

Hubby picked up a London Broil on sale for me to sous vide. I did for over 24 hrs and pulled out of the hot water bath and stuck in the fridge before our 1100 mile round trip drive over 2 days to my wound care doctor in Houston. I don’t want to hear any complaints about 1-2 hour drives to a really good physician.

Said hubby will sear on the grill to finish it off but it is pretty damn good as it is!!! Please ignore the salt crystals on the counter as it needed a bit more for sampling when we got back and I sliced it for taste testing.

(Jane) #47

Going to sous vide some chicken for the first time for dinner. Bone-in thighs with skin.

Found some instructions online and going to use 165F for one hour and then ice bath and pan fry to crisp up the skin.

(Jane) #48

Well, dang it - forgot to take pics before I scarfed it all down!

Mine was a bit red/pink near the bone so not sure if I just needed to cook it longer? I know cooking time = tenderness, but maybe an hour wasn’t long enough to get 165 F all the way to the bone? It was done on the meaty part.

Was juicy and delicious. I pan fried it to crisp up the skin and used a cast iron plate with a handle that is for flattening bacon when you cook it. Used it to press the chicken into the pan to get the skin nice and crisp.

Made a sauce out of the cooking juices with some butter, shallots and Dijon mustard.

Fried up some Houlimi to go with it. Yummy.

(PSackmann) #49

We did it for 1 1/2 hours yesterday and still had a touch of pink at the bone, so I’m thinking 2 hours will be the next try. Next time I’ll crisp it on the stove, we had too much for that last night.

(Jane) #50

Got another tri tip in at 138 F (59 C) for 4 hours.

Did a chick roast and a rump roast at 158 F (70C) for 24 hours. Most of this will be reheated and made into soup so I wasn’t trying to keep it rare-ish.

(Garry (Canada)) #51

Just did our first roast (cross rib) in the SV. I’ve done rib steaks but no roasts, so it was time to try.

Made a marinade of soy sauce, garlic, Worcester sauce, mustard, evoo, balsamic vinegar and froze it in foodsaver bag. Once frozen, added roast and sealed the bag.
Was gonna do 24hrs @136’f but got hungry at the 20hr mark so we indulged. I’ll probably try 36hrs next time for giggles. Best part was the marinade gave it the same appearance as it being seared.
136@20hrs.
Enjoy.

(Jane) #52

Pork for pulled pork tomorrow night’s dinner and leftovers for next week. Going to cook for 27 hours. I’m going to try coating with mayo before browning under the broiler this time.

Hmm, I still use @richard 's suggested Mayo-Sear for Steaks, using a hot skillet and it works great. But never thought of it being used and done under flames? (For the broiler that is) Or even over flames if on a grill. (But would think the broiler might even be better, since I’m thinking there might be a lot of drip-off going on with a grill. … Hopefully you will let us know how it turns out. :slight_smile:

(Jane) #54

Well I guess I’ll try the mayo trick on the next sous vide meat I cook. I had it half shredded before I realized I never browned the top! It is still good but would have been better with a bit of browned bark mixed in.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #55

Janie, I always use mayo for my searing on Tri tip roasts, and for large hunks of brisket.
Didn’t see anybody mention searing with a flame thrower torch, but it’s do fast and easy, and works so well, I wouldn’t do it any other way :slightly_smiling_face:
And I Sous Vide a lot. I probably have about 100 SV cooks under my belt in the 6 months since I’ve been doing it.