General sous vide recipes

(Jane) #21

Picked up a 3-lb beef tenderloin that was half-price - marked down from $50 to $25.

Going to sous vide that puppy at 136 F for 2-3 hours tomorrow - can’t wait!

(Jane) #22

Glad I went up to 136 F.

(Running from stupidity) #23

So nice

(Doug) #24

Jane, that is a thing of Beauty.

My last sous vide was a pork loin roast, about 1/3 of a big boneless pork loin I got, then cut chops from 2/3 of it.

I’ve done pork chops at 140/60 but got scared and went 144 F/62 C. It was a thick piece of meat. Put a lot of rosemary and sage in the bag with the meat, and that made for a nice taste around the edge, even after searing it in the oven. Scored the outer fat with a knife beforehand, making shallow diagonal cuts all along it.

144 F/62 C for 2.5 hours sous vide. Pre-heated a pan in the oven with the oven at 500 F/260C. Put the meat in the pan, fat side down, so the fat would melt and render out a bit, hopefully further flavoring the meat when I flipped it over. 7 minutes searing, fat side down, at 500 F/260C, then 15 minutes with the fat side up.

It was great, perfect, though could have sous vided at a lower temperature. Meat was white all the way through, without even a hint of pink. I think <140 is in the cards for the future, perhaps 138 or 137.

(Running from stupidity) #25

It’s all just a learning process, indeed. But as you say, even when it’s not “exactly right,” it’s usually still pretty awesome :slight_smile:

(Doug) #26

The texture of chicken, turkey and pork done at lower temperatures takes some getting used to…

(Running from stupidity) #27

That’s very true.

(Jane) #28

OMG - look what I found at a 4-hr meat sale at a local market! Almost 9 lbs of pork for under $9.

I will split this up and vacuum seal each half and freeze. I foresee lots of sous vide pulled pork in my future!

(Running from stupidity) #29

Have I mentioned recently that I hate you all?

Not sure if I’ve mentioned it.

(Jane) #30

:joy:

(Jane) #31

More pulled pork.

This was one of 3 in a package for under $10.

165 F for 24 hours then popped it under the broiler to get some bark on it.

Shredded and ready for the fridge since Hubbie made soup for dinner tonight.

(Jane) #32

Husband picked up a Tri Tip Sirloin yesterday. Never cooked one so I looked up online how to sous vide it. It’s basically a large slightly tougher cut of sirloin.

So… going for 135 F (55 C) for 3 hours.

Should be medium-rarish at that temp and hopefully 3 hours is enough to be tender.

Everything sous vide!
(mole person) #33

I’m curious how this turns out. Trip tip steaks are sold at the Walmart here and I often see them in markdown bin 50% off.

(bulkbiker) #34

Personally I’d go slightly cooler… 52C and much longer 12-18 hours…

(Jane) #35

Thanks, Mark. I think that might be more rare than I would like. Probably be ok for my husband LOL.

(Jane) #36

I took it out at almost 4 hours to check. I want steak texture, not falling apart like a good roast beef texture.

It was perfect! So I put it in the fridge and will warm up in the sous vide at the same temp when time for dinner, then sear it.

I cut off the end for a taste test and also tried out my husband’s mini butane torch he got for some project of his (don’t remember).

I think I will forego firing up the grill and just use it

Pic of tri tip not seared yet so not very pretty. But I like the degree of doneness it has. Small piece was seared and seasoned.

(mole person) #37

That looks great! Thanks for the update!

(Jane) #38

Dropping this here so I don’t have to Google it again (for the umpteenth time)

(Running from stupidity) #39

53C is like 54C but betterer.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #40

Repeat after me: Temp is doneness,time is tenderness. Thickness is time.

If loin chops are done at 140, there’s no need to go higher for a loin roast. Just longer. How much longer is a question of the thickness of the thinnest dimensions. On chops, it’s the thickness of the bone. On roasts, it’s generally the cross section.