General greetings and w(a/o)nderings

newbies

I decided that this was the year of change for me. I was unhealthy and broke at the beginning of the year so I decided to focus on my finances. I feel I got that under control at this point and so I’ve been focusing on studying nutrition. What I found when I started digging in and reading the actual scientific studies will probably come as no shock to anyone on this forum…but it was very eye-opening for me. After realizing that the high fat/low carb diet is what virtually every piece of evidence I could find was pointing me to I decided to find a diet that followed this path. This inevitably led me to keto and, thus, you fine people. I don’t so much care about a “diet” per se but having a set of guidelines to fall into definitely helps with what is going to be a very big life style change for me. One of the main reasons why I decided I liked Keto was the IF bits that seemed to be intrinsic to the lifestyle. I’ve been practicing IF…well…intermittently…for a few years and have long known the health benefits of it. So I feel like keto is just a good fit for me. At this point I’ve read several keto specific books, been reading as much as possible in this forum, and just googling anything I have questions on, but I still have a couple of newb questions. I’m very involved in the local beer scene where I live and have a few events where I know I’m going to want to drink copious amounts of carbs over the next few weeks. Because of this I’ve decided to make those my farewell weeks and start Keto on or about the 29th, so I’m really just trying to be as prepared as possible before that time comes. My questions are:
Since I’m not new to IF, is it recommended to just fast for a few days to help get into ketosis?
How important is it to actually test glucose/ketone levels? The science nerd in me wants to check every hour and come up with lots of graphs and charts and 8X10 color glossy photographs, but the tightwad in me says that keto strips are friggin expensive and that would be really dumb.
Since I’ll be quitting diet sodas and sweet-and-low sweetened tea I was considering just stopping caffeine all together. But I haven’t really seen anything about that…does caffeine help/hurt in any way?
Is there anything that’s a “must read” or “must watch” that would help?

I get the n=1 ideals and whole-heartedly agree with that way of operating, but there have to be some good guidelines that seem to work better in general…right? Thanks in advance for any answers.

(Cocker) #2

Hey there! Welcome!

I’m new to the forum/keto myself but I can give you my perspective…

I stumbled upon keto as a natural consequence of my own fasting…at first (a few weeks ago) I just stopped eating, because I was kinda planning to anyway…since then I’ve fallen out a few times due to general experimentation but just decided to get back in via eating the correct way…partly this is also a learning process but also because I see it as a long term thing - I know I’m doing the right things, so no need to stress…

I test my levels fairly regularly - but as I said above, I see this stage as a learning process…so I want to see what the boundaries are and establish some sense of what is normal for me…of course, “normal” could change as I get more adjusted but I’m finding it useful.

Caffeine - I’m drinking tea and coffee and also taking caffeine pills before exercise…I’m not aware of any issues but it’s probably worth listening to one of the more knowledgeable folk.

Thanks!

I’m eating anywhere from 5 to 10 times a week right now depending on what’s going on or how hungry I am. I’ve been playing around with some keto friendly meals and find I’m much less hungry for longer periods of time (last time it was almost 30 hours later before I ate again), so that number should go down…I hope. I’d also like to get into longer fasts so that’s why I was curious about just doing a 3 day fast to get into ketosis. It wouldn’t be the first time I’d done something like that but it has been a while.

As for the caffeine; everything I read talks about coffee and tea, so I’m going to assume that caffeine is at least not detrimental…it does seem to have a greater effect on me if I haven’t eaten for a while though so that could be something I just need to monitor.

(Michelle) #4

Hey there! Welcome to the forum. Glad what you were reading pointed you to LCHF!! I’ll attempt to answer a few of your w(a/o)derings, but there are far smarter people on here that I’m sure will chime in too.

Q. Since I’m not new to IF, is it recommended to just fast for a few days to help get into ketosis?
A. To me, getting in ketoisis is easy. Just eat low carb for a few days +/-. Getting fat adapted is another story. That takes time. I think IF or EF might get you fat adapted sooner, but that also depends on your particular body composition.

Q. How important is it to actually test glucose/ketone levels?
A. Not really important, but fun for me. I only test my ketones about once a week due to the cost of the strips. Totally not necessary for being ketogenic though.

Q. Since I’ll be quitting diet sodas and sweet-and-low sweetened tea I was considering just stopping caffeine all together. But I haven’t really seen anything about that…does caffeine help/hurt in any way?
A. I haven’t seen a lot of reports that caffeine hurts/helps ketosis. You are braver than me. I cannot give it up. I still have BPC at least 1x a day.

Q. Is there anything that’s a “must read” or “must watch” that would help?
A. 2KD podcasts, KetoTalk, Fasting Talk are some of my go-to. There are A TON of YouTube videos and podcasts out there. And books!! Information overload. You can come here and ask all the questions too.

Q. I get the n=1 ideals and whole-heartedly agree with that way of operating, but there have to be some good guidelines that seem to work better in general…right?
A. I do think everyone is individual, so you have to do some experimentation. I think in the beginning, it’s important to stay below 20g total carbs. and do that for like a month (that’s what I did). And then, I started to play a bit.

I will never go back to eating carbs!! I love this WOE.

(Cocker) #5

Happy to help :smiley:

The appetite suppression is a well known characteristic of keto - it was kinda what my initial draw to it was…I was starting to find ADF quite hard. As it happens I’ve stopped bothering with the fasting for now because I’m really interested in seeing where the keto takes me.

If I remember correctly fasting makes the blood/brain barrier a little more permeable…so a lot of drugs etc become more effective. Black coffee was my fasting drink of choice - for the appetite suppression.

Hello and welcome!

Thanks for the response and for formatting it so much better than I did :slight_smile:

" but that also depends on your particular body composition"
It’s composed of a lot of fat :slight_smile: I’m 6’0" 250 lbs and 30% body fat currently. So I would hope that I could adapt to using fat stores quickly…I don’t know. I’m planning on going very low carb for 1 to 3 months so I would think that would be enough time. Then I might ease up a bit and allow myself a beer every now and then :slight_smile:

" You are braver than me. I cannot give it up. I still have BPC at least 1x a day."
Diet Dr. Pepper is going to be difficult. But I’ve done it before…it just really sucks.

" Information overload"
No kidding. I’d never even heard of keto a few weeks ago…now I’m inundated with info coming from 40 directions. Hard to figure out which of the info is good…

“it’s important to stay below 20g total carbs”
That’s my plan. Really looking forward to it :slight_smile: