Gastritis

(Ulrike) #1

Hi there,

I began Keto in October 2018 after I have done it for several months 3 years ago. During that time I enjoyed it and had no trouble at all!

Now I have got stomach ache in December after about 2 months of Keto and developed a slight gastritis.
The cause is still unknown but one thesis is that it could come from a high increase in fat in my diet. I love fat and was already accustomed to higher amounts.

My question is: has somebody experienced stomach problems after increasing the fat intake?

Thank you so much! Glad about this forum! :slight_smile:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

My girlfriend gets reflux from coconut oil when her stomach is mostly empty. Are you eating something at the same time other than fatty stuff to buffer it? Like salad or steamed veggies maybe? That might help. I hope you find the solution soon.

(Carl Keller) #3

I don’t think it’s the fat that is causing the problem. There could be a number of reasons for the stomach problems including dehydration, artificial sweeteners and exogenous ketones (MCT/Coconut oi). All of that can be fixed by drinking plenty of water and avoiding the latter two. Also, eating things that improve your gut biome can help your stomach be more tolerant. Things like fermented food, some vegetables and bone broth can be very helpful and some people take probiotics (for which I have no personal experience).

Last night I ate some honey baked ham and my stomach took notice. I wasn’t miserable but I could definitely tell abnormal things were going on in my stomach and I certainly won’t be eating any more honey baked ham soon. I’m not sure if it was artificially sweetened or naturally, but it was definitely a reaction to some type of sweetener.

(Ana Barbara Alzua) #4

I get gastritis with coconut oil in large quantity (bulletproof coffe) but not with black coffee, so i know its the coconut oil.

(Ulrike) #5

Thank you! Yes, I ate alot of coconut oil. I reduced it now. Is it better to avoid it completely and why when I may ask.

(Ulrike) #6

Thank you! Yes, I ate a lot of coconut oil. I reduced it now. Is it better to avoid it completely and why is it it bad for the stomach when I may ask.

(Carl Keller) #7

@Ulrike It’s a difficult question to answer. People react differently and only your trial and error can answer that question. You can try eating more fermented foods and adding some bone broth to your diet to help. You may just need to cut down on the CO to see improvement.

(Ulrike) #8

Thank you!:grinning:

(Ulrike) #9

What do you take to fry food?

(Ulrike) #10

Thank you! The coconut oil seems to be the culprit!:wink:

(Ana Barbara Alzua) #11

Avocado oil!

(Ulrike) #12

Better than olive oil?

Olive oil is best used cold … For salads. I use butter to cook with

(Ulrike) #14

Thank you!

(Ana Barbara Alzua) #15

Way better, olive oil burns and loses it’s benefits when heated.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #16

I use saved bacon grease and butter to fry with.

Duck fat, avocado oil.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

Coconut oil for frying seems to work, Just eating it - not so much, It does not rise to the level of nausea but I am not comfortable after eating even a half teaspoon of cconut oil.

(Omar) #19

me too

my body does not handle coconut oil for some reason

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

I’m a fan of butter, tallow, and bacon grease, myself. Avoid the seed oils (they call them “vegetable” oils, but that’s just a marketing ploy), because they are all high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and will likely trouble your gut, if coconut oil is a problem for you. The best fats are saturated and monounsaturated, so the animal fats are really the ones to go with.

If you are sensitive to coconut oil, then also stay away from medium-chain triglycerides (MCT’s, for short). They often give people digestive trouble, and they are a major component of coconut oil.