Gastritis

(Ulrike) #21

Thank you!:blush:

(Gabe ā€œNo Dogma, Only Science Please!ā€ ) #22

Hi! See this thread:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #24

Most of the discomfort is avoidable, except for a craving for carbohydrate, lol!

The so-called ā€œketo fluā€ is really just a lack of salt, which causes the electrolytes to get out of whack. Making sure to get a bit extra salt prevents that, and supplementing with magnesium and potassium can help with any muscle cramps that might develop.

Gastric reflux has been shown to be the result of a lack of stomach acid, not an excess of it, so removing carbohydrate from the diet helps cure that. Many people have found that on a ketogenic diet they can dispense with the fibre, which improves their irritable bowel, diverticulitis, and Crohnā€™s disease symptoms immensely. And those people who actually need fibre can easily add it back into their diet, if need be.

On the other hand, things like oxalate dumping and the pain from shrinking kidney or gall stones have to be endured, and the same is true of a Candida die-off. No shortcuts to those processes.

But most people donā€™t experience those problems, so the odds are good that you will be fine.

(Ohio ) #26

Just throwing it out here since this old thread was bumped. If anyone has gastritis please try lions mane supplements.

The benefits of lions mane are largely undiscovered or actively being suppressed by pharma.

(Laurie) #28

Not everyone experiences any of the ā€œstories.ā€ Theyā€™re something to be aware of, just in case. That way, if something does happen, youā€™ll know what it is and what to do. Or, come here and ask questions!

Iā€™ve restarted keto a few times, and never had keto flu or other problems.

I did have to stop eating most plant foods, because they caused abdominal issues. But that happened when I wasnā€™t on keto.

(It also kind of forced me to become almost exclusively carnivore. So here I am.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

I havenā€™t. They are generally warned against in the world at large, because they compete with the industrial seed oils, which in the U.S. means especially soybean oil and corn oil. Soy and corn growers are heavily subsidised by the U.S. government, and they donā€™t want to lose profits. They have been bad-mouthing palm and coconut oil for decades.

Palm and coconut oil are also warned against because of their fat content. Coconut oil is 77% saturated fat, 6% mono-unsaturated, 2% polyunsaturated, and 15% other fats. Palm oil is 51% saturated fat, 39% mono-unsaturated, and 10% polyunsaturated. These low percentages of polyunsaturated fats make them ideal for a ketogenic diet and horrifying to those who want us to avoid them.

(Ohio ) #30

I always wondered if any of warnings against oils comes from the fact that these oils have antibacterial properties? Sterilizing the gut microbiome? Just a guess.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

We warn against the industrial seed oils (soybean, corn, cornflower, safflower, cottonseed, grapeseed, and so forth), because of their high Ļ‰-6 content, which is inflammatory. Iā€™ve never heard that any of these oils have any effect on the microbiome. These oils do, however, lower cholesterol levels, which has been shown to be associated with increased all-cause mortality, so perhaps they shorten our intestinal floraā€™s lives as well as ours.

We donā€™t warn against the fruit oils (avocado, coconut, olive, and palm), because they have a much, much lower Ļ‰-6 content. Coconut oil even contains half again as much saturated fat as butter has.