Frying with fat

(KB) #1

So I believe that unsaturated fats - like olive oil- oxidize when cooked at high temps/used in frying. Do saturated fats-like lard- not oxidize and this is why it’s safe to use them in frying? You wouldn’t want to willing put oxidized fats in your body…

(Danielle) #2

@Brenda should be able to help you with this. She is the queen of the deep fryer.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

@howdy242
I use home rendered beef tallow or pork lard.

Not sure there’s anything better as far as type of fat…
Or tastier…
Or cheaper

Duck fat is definitely tasty as well, and some would say tastier. Although lard and tallow are typically cheaper. I like good ol’ lard for frying :wink:

(KB) #5

Yes but my concern is oxidation of fat. Does saturated fat remain unoxidized after frying?

I was listening to something a while ago that was saying that solids oxidise less than liquids so oils that are solid at room temperature degrade way more slowly. So the best oils for frying and reusing are those that go solid when cool - animal fat and coconut oil. My olive oil actually goes sludgy in my kitchen in the winter because it is so chilly!

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #7

I :heart: the taste of organic beef dripping for frying meats and veges.

Lard for eggs!

(Kathy Meyer) #8

I’ve been using avocado oil for light frying (not deep frying), mostly because it has a 500 degree smoke point. It was relatively inexpensive at Costco, and doesn’t seem to impart any flavor into the food. I keep bacon fat when I want to add flavor.

I’ve personally noticed how well pork lard and beef tallow (and duck fat) preserve so easily. And I am able to reuse these fats, without noticing any degradation in quality. When I let the used fat cool down, I filter through a sieve and store the fat in a glass jar. I then reuse the grease.

It is very noticeable how I cannot do this with other fats, like olive oil or clarified butter. There is definitely a degradation each time you use them (once). Olive oil I find is particularly delicate even with just exposure to air or sunlight.

To answer your question, oxidation is a matter of temperature x time and to find this people use the Rancimat Method.

Once you find that baseline the increase of 10°C will cut the time by a factor of two.

Example
Pigeon fat at 110°C oxidizes in approx. 20 mins
so
Pigeon fat at 120°C oxidizes in approx. 10 mins