Frying oils

(Seth Overdeer) #1

What are the best oils to use when frying or deep fat frying?

(Roy D) #2

“Best” is in the eye of the beholder. Below is a listing of various oils used for frying. You most likely want an oil with a high smoke point for frying (something above 400 deg F is my guess). Also something with a low Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. Olive oil, Ghee, and Avocado oil look like good choices, but could be costly. Coconut oil, lard & Macadamia nut oil could be used if cooking at a lower temperature. Various oils also give different flavors to food, so that may also be a factor for consideration.

(Jack Brien) #3

I always thought olive oil had a low smoke point and lard and coconut oil high?

We use avocado oil. I’ve read somewhere that olive oil is not a good choice for frying (I think due to the low smoke point, but don’t quote me on that). We tried using lard but the smell that permeates in my house afterward is enough to make me vomit. I can’t do it. Avocado oil is costly, but doesn’t smell nor have any lingering taste in my food that I can tell. I’ve also heard people use coconut oil, but I’ve never tried it myself as I don’t like coconut and I always worry it will taste like it. :laughing:

(Allan L) #5

This is why I get odourless and flavourless coconut oil from Amazon.

(Allan L) #6

Lard! Chicken wings deep fried in lard for 10 minutes is a fav keto snack of mine. Quick, simple and oh so moreish.

Though I always make sure the fryer is under the extractor fan to remove most of the odour.

Duck fat for pan fried steaks.

Butter & olive oil mixed for general light frying, olive oil stops the butter from burning as easy and adds a nice flavour.

Rendered bacon fat in my scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Same here. I get a big container from Costco. I actually dislike avocados by themselves, but avocado oil doesn’t make my food taste like avocados, so it’s all good for me.

I have some of that too! Liquid gold I tell you.

(Steven) #9

I have switched over the avocado oil, as my local Costco now has it. Still have EVO, but use avocado oil for high temp’s.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

There are three classes of olive oil, denoting which pressing they are from. Extra Virgin, Virgin, and just plain old Olive Oil. You can tell by the color… the greener the oil, the earlier the pressing.

Do not fry or saute with extra virgin olive oil. Low smoke point, flavor gets messed up, and all the TV chefs who tell you do this have more money than sense. If you are going to saute with olive oil, it’s the yellow plain old stuff. Higher smoke point, less corruptible by heat.

Interesting. Did not know such a thing existed. I will have to try it out. Thanks!

(Roy D) #12

The above link lists the following for the smoke point of oils;

320 deg F - Extra virgin olive oil
350 deg F - Coconut oil
370 deg F - Lard
470 deg F -Extra light olive oil

(Jack Brien) #13

Yeah, I read it, just thought it was different. I think I might have to make some ghee

(Empress of the Unexpected) #14

Everything will taste like it. Believe me, I’ve tried.

(Drew Says "Eat the Salt, you damned stinking Keto ape" Hardcore Label Licka ) #15

This may help.Oils_table.pdf (34.1 KB)

Need advice for slipping (carb wise) the last few days. 3 weeks in