Parchment paper and baking sheet, paper towels

3 cups shredded mozzarella
1 ¾ cups superfine almond flour
4 tbs cream cheese
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 - 2 quarts beef tallow or pork lard for frying

Preheat oven and frying fat.
Melt mozzarella and cream cheese on a bowl in the microwave at 30 second/one minute intervals and stir until melted. Stir in egg and almond flour and baking powder. Shape into large flat fry bread shape approx 6 inches in diameter. Bake on parchment paper in preheated 350*oven until lightly browned, flipping to brown both sides. If any bubbles form, pop with a fork. Slightly underdone, slip into hot oil. Watch closely for browning and turn. It will take seconds. Drain on paper toweling. Makes 2 to 3 fry breads.

Indian Fry Bread Taco:
On top of a piece of fry bread add seasoned cooked taco meat, lettuce, diced onion, diced tomato, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream.
Nosh.

This recipe and more featured on 2KetoDudes podcast #92

Keto Frybread
2KetoDudes Thanksgiving Special RELEASED TODAY
Calling for keto Southwestern recipes! Keto sopapilla anyone?

That looks yummy.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

It was soooooooo good I couldn’t eat it all!

Omg, it looks like a chalupa! :heart_eyes:

It’s kind of like fried fathead pizza dough. Never thought of taco stuff on top. That could work for us.

Oh Lordy! I’ve always said my one and only cheat one day would be Indian fry bread…and I can’t even eat wheat. Yesssssssss!!!

Can you make these ahead of time, and then fry before serving?

Sorry I keep posting, but I’m soooo excited. Made them for breakfast while listening to the podcast episode.

Here’s some pix, with my homemade keto cranberry sauce. Then I had a bite with cinnamon “sugar.” I’m imagining churros now, wow – what else?

Fried them in lard. Fantastic! Thank you so much @NativeKetoMan!

My husband is Native and he’s going to love this. I’m allergic to wheat so I can’t eat the real deal anymore even if I wanted to… so this is a game changer. Wheeeee!

Also, they puffed up really well.

I’m imagining these made into crumbs (food processor) tossed with a bit of cinnamon “sugar” (as Gatita mentioned), then rolled onto ice cream for fried ice cream.

(mike) #10

So many possibilities, this looks absolutely F’ing Delicious!!!

I heard you talk about it on the podcast and thought, no f’ing way!

(Vicki Stroud) #11

Looks so awesome I just think, Fried Dough from the fair but I honestly I will have to split it into 6 for me to be able to justify the carbs.

I made four and they were HUGE! So I think six would work fine.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

IDK. Let me know

(Bunny) #14

Ketofied Native Girl here! I’m printing this! That is so awesome!

(Vicki Stroud) #15

MY thought would be to do the baking part and then fry it later.

Please clarify! What is cinnamon “sugar”? I understand what the normal non-ketofied type cinnamon sugar is BUT I need a description of the one mentioned in this thread. Is it possibly Swerve with cinnamon added?

Pretty much, yes. I use Truvia or straight erythritol mixed with cinnamon. (I’ve been buying 5-lb bags of erythritol online – way cheaper than Swerve.)

(Clara Teixeira) #18

Thanks SO much for this @Brenda! I hail from Btown area and love frybread tacos. Sadly I have not had one for 4 yrs. Can’t wait to make these. Bringing keto to the north!

Just an update. I wanted a quick taco, so I used this recipe, rolled them very thin and instead of deep-frying after baking, I toasted them on a cast-iron griddle on the stove. Great sub for flour tortillas!

Also, this stuff seems to keep forever in the fridge if it’s well wrapped, whether in the dough state or after baking.

(Roberto) #20

I’ll be darned i’ve got a skillet full of oil i was going to put in the frig… I’ll do this instead!