Fry Bread Ketofied by Zorn

(Whitney ) #21

Looks fabulous!! I am wondering though if these just couldn’t be straight fried instead of doing a 2 part cooking process…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

Nope. Tried it. Listen to the 2KetoDudes Thanksgiving Special.

(Theresa Kavouras) #23

Where can you find inexpensive beef tallow in bulk for frying?

Wow!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

Most Grocers will sell chunks of beef fat. You have to render it. just cook it on low heat until it all melts and then strain it. That’s your beef tallow. You could store it at room temperature right in the fryer if you want.

(Becky) #26

Some stores, which have a visible butchering areas have been glad to give me 5 and 10 lb bags of beef fat for free. Some stores sell it. I went from store to store asking for it until I found free sources.

I ask the butcher for beef or pork fat depending on what I’m making. They collect it in separate bins.

The ‘fancier’ stores, Stew Leonard’s and Fairway in my area, are the most generous. If I catch the butcher in the big chains, shop rite or stop and shop, they will tell me a day of the week to stop by.

I used to carefully cut it up to render it on the stove top. But one day when Stew Leonard’s handed me 10 lbs for free, and I had no freezer space, time or energy, I put the 18 inch strips in the oven at 200 degrees for a couple of hours and 2 hours later had 3, 16 oz jars of tallow.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

Time for me to go on a free beef fat hunt. Thank you for the inspiration.

(Anna Wylie) #28

This turned out so good! I was a bit skeptical because I make Fried Bread often for my family and didn’t think I’d be able to eat it again. My daughter was surprised on how it tasted similar. She’s not keto but she enjoyed it as well. Thank you for this recipe! Yum!

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

How did i not find this earlier. I am a bread addict, and collect all the great keto breads. Please thank Kevin for me. I have really missed fry bread.

(Sg) #30

I’m crying tears of joy and FAT!!

That looks so good!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #31

IKR? It’s the one food I plan to make for myself over the holiday :slight_smile: if you missed fried donuts this will take care of it for you

(Sophie) #32

Roughly, how long should they be baked in the oven before frying?

(Carl Keller) #33

@JustPeachy This recipe is similar to fathead pizza and for that, the bake time is 10-15 minutes @ 400 degrees. The OP’s recipe calls for a 350 degree oven so it might take a bit longer.

(Sophie) #34

Sure, I get that, but this is also supposed to be fried and she said it should be “slightly underdone”. Hence my question on the actual oven time since it wasn’t mentioned. :thinking:

(Carl Keller) #35

I would start with 10 minutes and keep checking until you get the color the OP’s 2nd photo. Not all ovens cook the same. When I used to make cookies at home, my gas oven cooked them a few minutes faster than my electric stove, even though the gas stove is ancient.

(Sophie) #36

Yeah, I was thinking 5min intervals but a guide would be nice.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #37

I didn’t keep track of the time, you’re going to have to keep checking it until it’s very lightly brown. Very lightly. And remember to turn it over as well. You basically just want to start the cooking process and then finish it off in the hot oil.
Be sure and use a preheated oven.

(Sophie) #38

Thanks Brenda. I’ll keep an eye on the first batch and take notes. :+1:

(Kim Rogers ) #39

I just saw this and thank thank you thank you for this.