From low fat to high

Hi everyone
I ve been low carb, mostly around 20 net carbs per day for about 2 years now.
I started this, following the guidelines combining it with high fat foods. And everything worked for me. I didn’t have spare weight to loose. I began it cause I was in a low fat life before that made me unhappy. Everything was fine again. I upraised my calorie intake and my life got tastier.
This low fat past, without even knowing how, came back though. I started consuming low fat meat, cheese etc again and held carb intake low. Instead of fat, I raised the protein intake.
This has taken me to a dead end AGAIN. I feel tired and bored of lean meats light food etc. Even for a snack I eat protein. Protein, protein… and I want to eat sweets all the time.
I want to ask anyone might know what to do in order to get back to more healthy fats. Will the transition work without me gaining extra weight? ( I have an issue with that…) I consume 20 net carbs, 100-120 grams of protein and my fat intake is around 20-25 grams.
I m 160cm and 47 kgrs
Thank you :slight_smile:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

20 grams carbs x 4 cals per gram = 80 calories
120 grams protein x 4 cals per gram = 480 calories
25 grams fat x 9 cals per gram = 225 calories

80 + 480 + 225 = 785 calories

You are starving yourself and screwing your metabolism in the process. No wonder you’re tired and craving sweets! While your carbs and protein are OK you need to eat lots more fat. You will gain weight for a while because you have slowed your metabolism. @lfod14 may have some suggestions for ‘reverse’ dieting that might help.

Is it? My protein ok? I feel like I m eating protein all the time!
During the week somedays I eat more fat. And sometimes much more fat, like a bulimic . Once a week …cause of tireness…
And then again low fat etc etc

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

For your current weight, you are eating sufficient protein. The problem is that you are not eating sufficient fuel (carbs and fat) so you’re burning protein. That’s not an efficient use of protein. In fact, it takes almost as much energy to burn protein as the energy you get burning it. To stay in ketosis you need to keep carbs low (you’re doing that) and eat more fat. That will give you more fuel and reduce the amount of protein being burned inefficiently. Protein serves many purposes in maintenance, repair and sustenance - so you don’t want to be wasting it as fuel.

Thank you. I m doing it wrong
I ll try to fix it
Thanks again :slight_smile:

Your protein is okay. I eat WAY MORE than you, okay, it’s high protein for me, I don’t need this much but I can’t eat only adequate and it satiates me properly, I feel fine with it… It wouldn’t be true without much fat though, I eat more fat than protein.
Of course some people feel bad at high-protein but 120g is usually not too high for most people and it’s only adequate for bigger, more muscular ones. That is not you or me though.

Definitely eat much more fat. When you wrote you eat very little fat and protein all the time, i thought you eat hundreds of grams of protein… That wouldn’t be good either, of course but you are seriously starving now. Stop it. Don’t care about some gain, your health is the most important and I don’t think you will gain very much if you are careful… I don’t know if your body could handle a sudden jump (even if you do fattier days, I can imagine doing it every day may be a tiny shock if someone is sensitive? or you would have problems with the fatty items all the time…?), maybe raise your fat a bit gradually… But don’t take forever, you should stop starving very soon. If you have fattier days, that’s good but it still sounds starving in general. How much fat do you eat when you eat more fat?

Don’t you like fatty protein sources? Wait, what do you eat when you eat much fat?
I don’t even believe in low-fat cheese. Cheese is naturally fatty, I am aware there are those abominations but they can’t be good :smiley: But I prefer meat anyway and there are great fatty meats :slight_smile: Tastes differ, of course. Eggs are somewhat fatty too (they are among my lowest-fat items but they are still around 66% fat calorie wise)… And nuts too but they often aren’t ideal food.

I eat protein for everything (for sweets too, of course). Fatty protein. Lean protein isn’t nearly as good, your body needs energy. You don’t even have excess fat to draw energy from (not like your food intake would be anywhere close to enough if you had), you definitely must eat much more.
Nice fatty protein in the right amount actually turns off my strong desire towards sweets (as long as I keep my carbs low enough).
If one is starving, no wonder their brain gets ideas…

(Bob M) #7

To be honest, I don’t know what is “right” or what is “wrong”. Initially, people thought protein was “bad” for multiple reasons, such as lower ketones or higher blood sugar. When that turned out not to be the case (or at least the relationships weren’t clear), people (including me) started experimenting with lower fat, higher protein.

Here’s a current discussion from Diet Doctor:

I have a bit of a hard time with this, as some of these people are eating 3-4 ounces of meat at a meal. Ha! I usually eat 2 meals a day, and easily eat 1 pound per meal.

Also, some of these people got increased hunger at first. One had to try the diet for 7 weeks. For me, that’s quite a while. I usually give up after a month.

For me, this topic is a bit problematic. If I eat a pound of lean beef (say, top round or bottom round), that’s 130+ grams of protein in a meal, without a lot of fat. After trying a higher fat diet targeting saturated fat, I found more satisfaction eating more fat sometimes. And when I tried eating zero fat yogurt with some peanut butter additive and cacao powder and some liquid stevia, I was STARVING afterwards. I’m not sure whether it was the combination.

So, now what I’ve been trying was when I have lean meats, I try to cut back on them and add saturated fat, via either some type of (preferably A2 protein) cheese or suet.

I’m still testing.

One thing that throws a wrench into the works is calories. While I don’t really care much about tracking these, if you’re eating lean meats, it’s easy to undercut calories. If I eat too few calories, I end up sometimes having to eat a “snack” (usually meat) between meals. Is that good or bad? I don’t know.

To avoid that, I pack more meat in my lunches so that I don’t get hungry before dinner. Is it better to eat more protein at a single meal in order to last until dinner, or is it better to eat a smaller meal, but break down and have a snack of meat between meals? I don’t know.

Basically in my fat-days I ll have much nut spreads that I make, tahini etc.
But mostly I tend to eat sweet stuff. Low carb off course…
And sometimes I eat sweets with many many carbs .
Usually most days eat many eggs chicken fish , some avocado some butter, a few vegetables without added fat most of the time and that’s it! It’s a boring boring life…

But even in my fat days I rarely eat more than 1500 cals… I ve been on 1000 calories since I was 12 and I m 42 now. My metabolism is screwed from back then…I got used to it
I want to fix it but I haven’t managed to do it yet cause of this obsession with the scale. You re right though…I must consider my health more…thank u very very much!

Hope you get things figured out :slight_smile:

(Bob M) #10

These are the calories in a pound of ribeye:

These are the calories in a pound of beef eye round:

There’s almost a 500 calorie difference between the two.

Though the beef eye round is “trimmed to 1/8 inch fat”, which I don’t do. In fact who would do that? I’m using eye round because I’m about to put that in my sous vide. It does have a fat cap on it that’s more than 1/8 inch most times, though about 1/8 inch at other times…but it doesn’t cover the entire roast. This is one reason I don’t count calories: unless I take this apart by cutting off the fat and weighing it separately, I have no idea how many calories I’m really getting. And let’s not get into the differences between ribeyes: some are super fatty, some not so much.

Anyway, you could eat two pounds of beef eye round and only be at 1,500 calories per day. But 200 grams of protein per day.

What happens for me is that my lunches can vary quite a bit in calories. Am I hungry because of higher protein/lower fat, or because of fewer calories?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Protein is not normally used by the body for energy, because it is difficult to metabolise and the net energy gain is lower. Instead, protein is broken down into its constituent amino acids, and they are then re-made into new proteins to become part of muscles, bones, and other organs. Unless you are starving (which you probably are, at only 800 calories), your body will not metabolise protein. Under normal circumstances, it prefers to get its energy from fat or carbohydrate.

So if you wish to remain keto, then stop trying to eat a high-protein diet, and go back to satisfying your hunger with fat. If you return to a full-calorie diet, you will probably gain some weight, but that weight is likely to be lean tissue, not fat. I seriously doubt you will gain fat.

I m fully convinced to follow your advice. I ll start from tomorrow and see what happens! Thank you so much. U gave me the motivation I needed!