Fried cheese from CavemanKeto - Queso DeFreir - source? Alternative?

This was a featured recipe on a past episode. I have searched high and low to find this cheese at a local store but have not had much luck. Does anyone know a chain grocery store that has this? I live in the land of cheese heads and cannot find it!

The recipe looks great and my kids would love it. Is there a different type of cheese that would work good and more easily found?

Thanks in advance!

Alternatives given at this site:

Iā€™ve also seen it called Farmers Cheese.

Iā€™m in Texas and find it at a store called Fiesta that has a lot of Mexican grocery items. If you have stores with sections for ethnic items, that might be a place to start looking and it might not be with the other cheeses.

(Insert witty quote here) #4

I use queso fresco from Wal-Mart. Ruled.me had an excellent fried cheese recipe as well. Itā€™s kind of a firm-ish cheese. I bet mozzarella would work nicely. I tried it with provolone. It was delicious, but very gooey.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #5

I buy this at Costco. It comes in two huge blocks for under $7. Use one/freeze one.

(Kathy L) #6

I have also looked for and not found this cheese - but suspect that I would have had better luck had I known what the package looked like. Thanks to those of you who posted a photo!

(Kathy L) #7

Can someone tell me what oil you use for your frying? Or what would you use to fry this cheese? Iā€™ve been trying to use Olive oil or coconut oil for most everything - but donā€™t think Olive oil is good for frying things. Would coconut work for this?? Iā€™m heading back out to look for this cheese tomorrow!!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #8

Coconut oil could work, but may add a flavor. Avocado oil would be an excellent option with a high smoke point and mild/little flavor. Iā€™ve found it in large bottles at Costco, the small bottles at regular grocers is hard to pay.

(jketoscribe) #9

I bought something from Whole Foods today but it was horribly salty. Trader Joeā€™s has something they call ā€œFrying Cheeseā€ and it was great.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #10

I use avocado oil. Make sure oil and pan are good and hot before placing cheese in!

(Scott Shillady) #11

Banon nectar is great for frying all of the things :bacon::honey_pot:

I even asked at my Trader Joes, but they did not have thisā€¦

I have been using peanut oil in a fryer.

I called Trader Joesā€¦ I was told they discontinued the frying cheese. I am not sure if that is just my local store or across the company. ugh.

I may try this - does it hold up in a deep fryer?

(jketoscribe) #16

Haloumi cheese is fry-able. Also paneer. Iā€™ve made my own paneerā€“very simple homemade cheese.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #18

I would think if you have it very cold or even semi frozen it would withstand a deep fryer. Try it and let us know :grin:

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #19

@Brenda does this frequently with frozen cheese curds. It doesnā€™t look like sheā€™s posted her pics or video on it yet in the forums.

(Insert witty quote here) #20

I use 1:1 ratio of olive oil and coconut oil. Itā€™s delicious.

(Jan) #21

Over here in the Netherlands itā€™s indeed sold at the supermarkets as Haloumi cheese.
Can be found at the ā€˜normalā€™ stores, not at the discounters like Lidl and Aldi.