Freezer Guacamole

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

Anyone freeze guacamole after it’s made? I wanted to take advantage of sales, possibly, but wanted to solicit feedback first!

That’s a great question. Especially since Aldi’s has them on sale for 49 cents this week. (I’m sorry I don’t have an answer)

I’m pretty sure we’ve done it with no ill effects.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Yes. I got a bunch of the single-serve guac tubs from Costco (Wholly Guacamole is the brand, I believe) when they were on sale, and froze a couple boxes worth.

I can’t say that it had no effect on the taste, but nothing hugely noticeable.

You can buy Frozen avocado halves where I live. I haven’t tried them myself. Ingredients added are ascorbic and citric acid to prevent browning.

http://www.wattiesfoodservice.co.nz/Our-Products/Frozen-Vegetables/Avocado/Watties/Watties-Avocado-Halves-1360g#ingredients

Might be interesting to try freezing them like this.

Wow! Didn’t know this existed. Good tricked I learned today.

To get ascorbic and citric acid, I guess just use freshly squeezed lemon juice, and boom…done!

Exactly. Looks like they spray/dip in the solution before freezing because instructions for use say you can rinse off the ‘protective shell’ before use/defrosting.

I’ve never tried it as I can grow avocado here. I have 3 trees and they are cheap to buy. But always meaning to try freezing for experimental purposes. If you try it out let us know what you think!

Oh my goodness…what a treat to have avocado trees in your back yard!! Wow!

Yes feel very blessed. They take a whole year or 18 months to grow and mature so it’s no wonder they can be pricey sometimes.

(Jill Bowman) #10

I’ve been freezing my guacamole for years. I make sure it has an airtight seal so it doesn’t brown as it thaws. It comes out of the freezer just fine.
Also, when you get them home let them ripen in a breathable bag or box to perfection then put them in the refrigerator. They will stay perfect for weeks.

(Bob) #11

I have freezed Guacamole for short periods, a few weeks, and it was fine.