Free DeXA scan and other tests in the UK

(Duncan Kerridge) #1

At Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge - there’s a clinical research lab there that needs healthy volunteers to undergo a series of tests - they use the info to act as a control group for when they test unhealthy populations.

I was searching for somewhere I could get a Dexa scan or bodpod in the UK when I stumbled across this site : https://cambridge.crf.nihr.ac.uk/patientpublic/ccrc-studies/

My wife and I spent Monday afternoon and evening doing various tests : in a bodpod, dexa scan, some exercise tests, an overnight stay in a calorimeter and a heap of blood tests. The bodpod and dexa results they gave us straight away, all the others we’ll get when they’ve gone through all the data. And we got £40 each for the privilege!

So if you fancy getting a free checkup and some hard-to-find-in-the-UK scans give them a look!

The bodpod gave me a suspiciously flattering result of 13.5% bodyfat, I asked the doctor about it and she said it can get confused if you have heavy bones. The Dexa scan a few minutes later gave me a result I was expecting more - 21% body fat and also confirmed my bones are 10% denser than normal for my age. I’m officially big boned.

(Karen) #2

Lololo. Big boned. I loved that. Nice to have confirmation. Lolol

K

(Jack Brien) #3

Interesting. What was the meal they gave you? Were they happy with the keto aspect?

What did they give you to eat? Was it keto and did you have an option to eat anything other than what was provided?

(Duncan Kerridge) #5

I told them we had been eating low carb, they were fine with that.

They did say that the meal would contain ‘some carbs’, would I be ok to eat it? No problem I said.

Some carbs…

Some = 80% I reckon! It was hard work to eat so much rice after all this time! Ah well. We were offered breakfast after they took our blood in the morning - everything was bread or cereal based so we declined.

(Duncan Kerridge) #6

We couldn’t eat anything else - the food was precise macros for whatever they were studying. Everyone gets the same food.

(Jack Brien) #7

Ok. Not the end of the world to have a carb up, but it’s a bit of a trek for me. How much is a dexa normally?

(Duncan Kerridge) #8

I found a place in London that does them for £65, but locally I was looking at £150+ for a dexa or bodpod

(Allie) #9

I have a local place that does them for £125

(Duncan Kerridge) #10

Having got such a crazy low reading from the bodpod I’m glad I hadn’t paid for one of them in isolation. However my wife did get exactly the same body fat reading from the bodpod and dexa.

(Hannah) #11

@Duncan_K Thank you for sharing! I’m very tempted to do this myself, and get my 10 year old to join in too

(Troy) #12

Not in the UK
But, $45…locally in CA

(Rob) #13

Great find! I’m seriously considering doing it.

Given that I still have around 10Kg of weight to lose, should I wait until I’ve lost it to see if there’s more (visceral fat) that I should lose, or go for it sooner rather than later?

Great find and thanks for sharing @Duncan_K . Is this only for a limited time or can you decide the month /day you want the scan ? I would ideally like to do it in May. Thanks.

(Duncan Kerridge) #15

It’s a long term survey I think so I’d imagine whenever. You can’t just have the scan btw, you have to take part in the full series of tests / overnight stay, etc

(Jack Brien) #16

I think visceral fat is the first to go. The only time the body selectively reduces fat

(ianrobo) #17

thanks for that !!! that looks very good and have sent off my email

(ianrobo) #18

ah right, thats looks so ‘healthy’

(Vincent Hall) #19

Interesting, always wondered what my body fat % might be., I’d take keto food though.
Cambridge you say…
Thanks
\v/

(Duncan Kerridge) #20

Everyone gets the same food, that’s a controlled part of the study.