Former low-fat/low-carb dieter- Struggling in week 2 of keto

newbies
hunger
fasting
weightloss

(Rachel Burke) #1

I started keto 8 days ago. The first 4 days were a breeze, I didn’t count calories, I just ate the proper macro ratios. I felt relatively fine, since I already had a fairly low-carb diet, I didn’t experience much with regards to withdrawals. The first 4 days I lost 4 lbs (which I assume was just water weight). The trouble started on day 5- I gained, then day 6 I gained again, and again on day 7 and 8. I actually weigh more now, than where I started. So at this point I decided to start tracking in myfitnesspal, and found that my ratios were actually more than perfect, but my calories seemed to be rather high. I also used the urine keytone sticks to make sure I was in initial ketosis, and I was…

To give you a bit of background, I am not an obese person. My goal is to lose a total of 50 lbs, but that is literally the most I could possibly lose without dying. lol I was already on a low-fat and low-carb diet when I started Keto, I was eating only lean protein, vegetables and fruit, which has ALWAYS worked beautifully for me to drop weight insanely fast. the reason I decided to give Keto a try is because I can never keep the weight off with low-carb and low-fat diets, and I really wanted something that would become a lifestyle and not just a temporary diet. I love Keto so far, because it allows me to indulge in foods I could not eat before. I am okay with not eating carbs when I know that I can have something equally satisfying in fat. However, I wonder the effectiveness for someone that was already not eating the SAD diet, and not affected by any diseases such as diabetes? If I was already low-carb, low-fat, low calorie, is this diet moving in the opposite direction for me?

I’ve listened to the podcasts and understand the science, and I just want it to start working for me. I shouldn’t be gaining already. Not to mention, my stomach feels more bloated and fat than it ever has before. I’ve decided to try and cut calories down to 1300 - 1400, but unfortunately that meant I had to skip lunch today to meet those requirements. and at only day 8, skipping lunch has made me feel sickly and nauseated. I’m having a hard time figuring out how to keep my calories at or under 1400 with still eating 3 meals, when 70+% of my diet is fatty.

Any suggestions? Also is it too early to start really short fasts (i.e. eating only 2 meals a day), problem is- I’m still super hungry and weak if I even skip just one meal… Maybe I can supplement with exercise? I don’t have much time to experiment, I need to drop this weight ASAP, and I would like to do it with Keto. HELLLLLLLLP!

(matt ) #2

You don’t want to cut out calories or meals at this point. If you are hungry you need to eat. Once you are fully adapted you will be able to skip meals without issue. But you still dont want to go low cal as you will be slowing your metabolism. Stop getting on the scale and just let your body get used to this new way of life.

Keto on!

matt

I wouldn’t cut calories either and that’s coming from a CICO “expert” in the sense that I’ve literally gained and lost hundreds of pounds that way and it was an agonizing experience AND I definitely hurt my metabolism, and lost bone and muscle in the process.

Normally the reason for stubborn fat-loss is insulin still being too high and the treatment is fasting, but given your reaction to missing meals, I would suggest starting with dividing your calories before any reduction into 2 meals - in other words eat more at each meal, and try to extend that into intermittent fasting, but if you have to snack in between try something that isn’t insulinogenic, like pure fat to get you between meals.

Keto is about normalizing hormones and encouraging the body to partition calories for energy instead of fat storage and part of that is reducing insulin and hunger is normally a sign that the body needs something to rebuild and/or repair, so fighting it is usually counter-productive.

If there’s dairy in your diet, some people find that it stimulates hunger and/or inhibits fat loss, so cutting it out completely may help.

Edit: Personally, for fat snacking, I like butter, coconut oil, Primal Avocado Mayo and sour cream.

Lately, I’ve been making Dark Chocolate “sandwiches” with ChocZero 92% and Kerrrygold butter. :wink:

I thought I’d this recent podcast (4 minutes) from Prof. Tim Noakes where he underscores that it’s not about calories, but eating to resolve hunger that leads to weight loss.

(Jessica ) #5

Wasn’t it @Karen_Mangiacotti that gained the first 3 months and then lost quickly? I’m trying to remember from the podcasts I listened to.

Our bodies just have to adjust and every body is different.

(Jolena Foster) #6

I agree. Your hormones have to get adjusted to what’s going on with the rest of your body and your body has to take time going keto. As Carl and Richard would say, “Keep calm and keto on.” You’ve got this. Keep using my fitness pal to keep track of what you are eating.

(Barbara Greenwood) #7

Have you listened to the Fasting Talk podcasts at all? In one of those - I think it was number 15 - Megan Ramos talked about how years of calorie restriction (which it sounds like you have been doing) depresses basal metabolic rate to the extent that you only need a tiny amount of calories to gain weight.

It can be fixed, but it takes time. The way to fix it is to alternate periods of eating LOADS of strictly keto food (very low carbs, maintenance protein and as much fat as you can manage) with periods of fasting. The “fasting” could be as little as 16 hours, I.e. Skip breakfast and don’t snack after dinner.

At this stage, your mission is to get fat adapted, which will make it possible for you then to go longer between meals. To do that, you need to keep carbs super low and fat high.

(Barbara Greenwood) #8

Hmm… just reread your OP and these two statements stand out. What’s the rush? And why do you want to lose the most you could without actually dying?

I’m getting the feeling that health is not high on your agenda.