Formally introducing myself to the forum (400+ lbs starting weight)

(Carpe salata!) #61

Following your progress slabb.

I love your writing and the little observations. It’s a journey of discovery and achievements. I started keto shy of 300lb and recently smashed 100kg which was awesome. What kept me on track was the improved health benefits. The observations and learning what works are a great part of the journey. I have little sayings for certain occasions “do not want”, “sugar is poison”, things like that. I also managed to change my negative self-talk. Positive self-talk is so good :slight_smile:

Anyway - GO YOU!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #62

:joy:

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #63

Kind of a visual, isn’t it? :flushed:

I like this friend of yours! :slight_smile:

(Jane) #65

I agree! Great to have the support of someone who cares about you. Sometimes our friends let their own issues get in the way of saying kind things, even if they don’t intend it.

I love your story, your humor and your determination, and I love the support of all your cheerleaders here too. It takes a village as they say and this is a really great one, keep looking forward!

This is great, Peter! I’m gonna use these.

Well, @Slabb, I’m probably going to be the first here to say how disappointed I am about your progress.

You’ve inspired so many GREAT responses, I’M GONNA RUN OUT OF MY DAILY ALLOTMENT OF LIKES! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Seriously, I’m very proud you’re here, and giving us updates of your progress. It’s not just the weight loss that’s impressive, but the reflections you have as you continue on your journey to good health.

You’re doctor’s gonna flip out! Can hardly wait for the next update.

(Carpe salata!) #68

OK you have permission :laughing:

I use them for self-talk programming, not conversation starters :wink:

Now if I walk past the donut shop my subconscious must run the ‘do not want’ subroutine for me because I don’t even stop to just look and see if they have that chocolate topped cream donut that I really like :whistling:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #69

Be sure to keep your salt intake up. You need more, now that you’re not eating so much carbohydrate. It will also help prevent constipation and headaches—all symptoms of too little sodium in the blood.

“Deathfood” is a suggestion I got here on these forums.

Seem to be stuck
(Blessed with butter ) #70

Chow is your journey going @kamaboko. It’s been 20 days.

(mags) #71

Well done! You have done brilliantly well. I have a long long way to go too but have lost 50 lbs and am feeling great.

“Standing in groups because I was afraid chairs wouldn’t hold me”

I had forgotten this… I would eye up chairs suspiciously and would never sit on anything too low because of the embarrassment of struggling to get out again.
I’m interested in hearing about your progress. Good luck

(mags) #72

Some people say to ditch the scales. I’m like you and like to weigh every day. The trouble is it can be very disheartening when you get the fluctuations…which is quite normal. I keep 2 charts…one is my daily record and the other is my weight every Saturday morning. That one puts it all into perspective and irons out those glitches. I also keep a record of my monthly drops. What do you mean I’m a control freak!? :sunglasses:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #73

I use Happy Scale app, which records your weight as a dot, but smooths out the line and keeps a moving average weight. It really helps me to not freak out about spikes, or to get my hopes up too high from a big dip.

When I did WW years ago I hand drew a chart and drew light lines for my trajectory if I lost 2 lb a week, 1.5 a week and 1 a week. I weighed daily but only recorded my official weigh in. Having that 1.5 line especially was helpful. And the 1 line. When I felt I was going slow I looked at the cart and I was still in my goal range, and could see that even if I lost slower I was still getting closer to my goal.

(mags) #74

That’s brilliant. Thanks

(Michelle) #75

As a family you all have lost a good sized man!!

(Raj Seth) #76

IKR! Simple enough
And when people ask how much weight I’ve lost, I usually deflect with “I’ve lost 12” on my waist”
Keep it real!

(Adriana) #77

I relate with this so much! What I can say is you (we) may have a while to go yet, but at least yo (we) are doing something now!

Reading your thread has been so inspiring for me, thank you.

You might want to try tracking your foods. Chronometer is really good. My fitness pal has a pie chart. I was paying close attention to mine at first and was getting more carbs than I thought. Drink lots of water and use more salt.

(Jackie Blue) #79

I have tracked very carefully from day one and am
Doing your other suggestions, as well. It’s been over 2 mos now and I still haven’t lost an ounce, and my hormones are going crazy. I’m still hanging in there, tho!

(Wendy) #80

JackieBlue,
Some people, especially women, don’t lose weight right away. Sometimes it takes months. The less you have to lose, the slower it will go as well.
The health benefits of keto are much wider than just weightloss so keep that in mind as well. KCKO!