Forbidden from treating patients with Keto?!

conversationstarters
science

(Ken) #21

Very sneaky. I like the way you think.

(Linda ) #22

I have an M.D. now for my PC. She’s young and well educated and thinks she helps me when she admonishes me. Silly girl. I was having trouble with TSH being off (and electrolytes too). It takes a minute to understand the chicken and the egg connection with those two numbers. Anyhow, I sorted out the connection and dug deeper into LCHF / Paleo, ditching the carbs and eating more fat. In about a month, I was down four pounds and my numbers came in corrected. I told the M.D. that I was low-carbing—she said: “you’d be surprised how helpful low carb diets can be” DOH. Cue the crickets.

From your description, I wonder if suggesting a ketogenic diet is good, being a nutrition counselor is not good? It might be better to refer your patients to nutritionists who support Keto therapies? It is possible there is a liability issue if a patient dies of keto-whatever and then the family sues the practice over the wacky diet?

(Karen) #23

I love your clever suggestion approach.

K

(Amanda Gentle) #24

Try here:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/courses/unwin

(Cheryl ) #25

I’ve gently given information to my SIL “the doctor” for a couple of years…she is now a firm believer. Get the new book by Ken D Berry MD, Lies My Doctor Told Me. Excellent quick read, and very different from mainstream medicine’s information. Dr Berry uses real clinical controlled study data; not made up from Ansel Keys’ and his followers. Even the American Heart Association is now changing their stance, as of 2015 release of guidelines.

(Kern) #26

As a Pharmacist, I began researching the Ketogenic diet. This diet has taken my A1C from 11.3 in June 2017 to a low of 7.4 in January 2018. Never took insulin, never took any anti-diabetic meds. In doing research, I did go to the NIH and found some very good info there. Unfortunately, most medical doctors are on the take from the pharmaceutical companies, and yes, some years ago, got kickbacks. The high fat causing high cholesterol has really by now been reversed, that it does not create problems. The pharmaceutical firms are pushing this and scaremongering physicians into prescribing meds that do NOT help diabetics at all. As far as a showdown, you are a PA, and would only lose. You would be replaced by someone who agreed with the doctor, and would continue to lead the patients down the drug path with no healing or relief in sight. If I were in your shoes, I would begin searching for another clinic or doctor who has the capability to understand nutrition and how the human body works. (Sooner you leave, the better.) Follow your passion. Methinks even if you provided hundreds of pages of proof that ketogenic works, this MD would not listen as he is bed with Big Pharma. Those patients who take care of themselves are the ones you want. Don’t allow this uninformed MD to cast aspersions on your license. Move forward. Thanks for the rant. Pharmacist, North Carolina, Retired, but I keep my license current.

Hey all. Sorry for the delayed response, a lot of things going on to distract (such is life). I appreciate all of the responses. There are some very good ones here. Knowing this MD for a while now, I would agree with many of you that regardless of how much research I present it would be unlikely to make a difference. He feels VERY strongly about his own personal dietary beliefs, and believes everyone adopting the same approach is the key to fixing chronic disease. As much as I enjoy my job, it has become apparent to me that I’ll likely need to keep an ear to the ground in case something else comes up. It still seems utterly ridiculous to me that “people of science” could be that close minded and ignorant to evidence (and common sense, in my opinion), but I suppose the medical and dietary guideline communities have been mastering this for the better part of the last half century.

(Randy) #28

My PA-C has told me to just keep doing what I’m doing since it’s working. I’ve lost 98lbs., reduced my A1c to 5.5, and resolved the chronic pain I was suffering from.

But: She has no interest in any of the current research research on Keto, cholesterol or anything else I tried to show her. I assume that she, like you is probably not allowed to go “outside the box”. And what a SAD little box it is.

Thank you for caring about helping people more than towing the company line. It gives me hope. :slight_smile:

(Doug) #29

Randy, there is so much inertia in the medical system, and resistance to change. :neutral_face:

So the individual must find what really works for them, and cheers to you there! :sunglasses:

(Randy) #30

True that. It might me optimal though if docs had more than one arrow in their quiver that missed the target 99% of the time…

I couldn’t agree more. Human beings are extremely complicated organisms, and to assume that only one thing can and will work is purely naivete.
I congratulate you on your success. That is incredible progress, and lends credence to what this dietary approach accomplishes on a metabolic level. Keep at it!

(Hoteski) #32

Have a look at Icelandic research into this as my sister’s doctor ordered my sister to go on keto due to dangerously high blood pressure with a liver disorder. I just wondered if the doctors there are advising it then it might be worth checking their research out. My sister begrudgingly started keto a couple of months after I had on her doctors orders after being hospitalised for her blood pressure . She finally starting to enjoy the diet and stopped complaining . I did it to loose weight as I had become far too large for my frame and struggled to just walk. 230lp or so then. Now 32lp lighter and feeling much better.

(Hoteski) #33

Btw my sister blood pressure is now normal after 3 months on the keto diet

(Hoteski) #34

We have data proving how obesity has taken over the usa the last 2/3 decades with a high carb diet… High sugar and low fat… Evidence is in the pudding

(Doug) #35

Yes, very often in a little 110 gram cup of pudding there will be 17 or 18 grams of sugar. :frowning_face:

There is only one answer–use this experience as the catalyst to return to school and get an M.D. As a PA, you will always be under someone else’s license. You seem like you found your calling–take the leap. Imagine how many more you will impact with an M.D. Yes, it is costly but in 10 years, you’ll be 10 years older regardless…wouldn’t it be nice to have your own clinic doing what you love?

I would keep your job and keto separate personally. Maybe you can start a blog and refer patients there or something but it’s not worth losing your job over. Nutrition is such a debated subject these days from carnivore to vegan and everyone is so sure they are right it’s about as hot as a theist-atheist debate!

(Jon) #38

Speaking two tongues will only get you into trouble. Suddenly patients will ask you as you will blog in your function as a PA.
Alternatively do a keto internal education and make it good. If your colleagues are worth their salt they will listen as this is a part of the world we live in.
If that goes south /east /west /north then you should find another place that appreciate your up to date beliefs.

(Karim Wassef) #40

I believe the age of personal health is upon us.

The experts have broken their trust with the community and are in jeopardy of becoming irrelevant.

Those who speak the truth to the community will be trusted and become the new experts. Research and science will be evaluated and studied by thousands of independent reviewers, most of them non-medical, instead of 5 or 10 “peers” paid by the same interests. Individual n=1 will become the norm.

Those who only sell pharmaceuticals will become a dying breed who only exist on the marginal landscape of extreme conditions.

Time will tell - be on the side of good, even if it doesn’t serve you best now.

Recently, The VA decided to add keto in conjunction with Virta Health as an option. If your boss is more obstinate than the VA, then… wow.
Virta Health partners with existing practices.