Fool-proof instant cheese sauce

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

This is a staple that I make differently each time (translation: lazy and hungry). The ratios can be tweaked to how thick you want it; it’ll always go solid in the fridge and saucy in the microwave later.

Ingredients:

beef tallow
40% heavy whipping cream (highest fat content you can find)
high fat content shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, blue, etc.)

1. Melt about 2-3 tablespoons rendered beef tallow in an 8 quart saucepan on medium-low heat. This is the secret key ingredient that makes it glossy and heavenly smooth.

2. Add about 3 cups heavy whipping cream and keep stirring slowly until it’s very warm but not hot. The tallow should keep it from sticking to the bottom.

3. Gradually sprinkle in 1-2 cups of shredded cheese according to taste, stirring until it’s all melted. Start on the low end, you can always add more.

4. Store in fridge in a container you can easily open and dip a spoon into, because nummy.

You can add smoked salt and other spices if you want during the milk step, I’ve experimented with a dash of balsamic vinegar, Worchestershire, or prepared mustard. I’ve also unearthed the delicious combo of sharp cheddar cheese with a little bit of blue cheese crumbles added for bite–it’s freakin’ amazing drizzled over fried eggs! I’d add bacon crumbles if I didn’t know I’d just spend an entire meal picking out the bits with a spoon and eating them.

Stay cheesy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Do you think bacon grease or lard would work in place of tallow?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

With pleasure, lol! :bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

It dawns on me that you could fold in some sour cream and chives at the end for a fluffier, summery version.

Sounds good! With lard, of course. I don’t often have tallow to begin with but I am a fan of the local pig farm lard I have :wink: