Food stockpile in case corona virus comes nearby

(charlie3) #102

Up to now my thinking about stocking up was me wanting to stay home to avoid infection but another scenario is staying home on account of being infected myself. I’ve been in retirement mode for the last year and perfecting diet and exercise for 2 years. It’s not boring. I’ve got everything I need for that at in house. (The latest focus is improving sleep.)

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #103

This is wise and kind of you.

Me too… I need to buckle down on that.

A healthy immune system and not a hyperactive one. An immune system that will recognise the virus as an antigen an generate antibodies to kill it or tag it for killer T cells.

People can die from viral pneumonia because their body is in an inflammatory state and the immune inflammatory response can be massive, filling the airways with swelling and fluid.

A good way to have a healthy immune system is to eat highly nutritious foods. A good way to have an immune system that won’t overreact to an infection is to be in nutritional ketosis.

The only other precaution is not to have a coinfection with another pathogen. Sort out the SIBO, get rid of flagellate gut parasites that can cause intermittent diarrhoea, press on with Lyme disease treatment regimens (if you have that diagnosis). Try and reduce and get off cortisone that is used for many inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. Have some extra lysine if you’re a herpes virus carrier. Get the influenza vaccination because you don’t want both viruses at the same time. The corona virus prepping is a good health overhaul.

(Bunny) #105

As a recent precautionary measure I’m stock piling cases of Ebola Extra (f/k/a: Corona Beer) with limes… just in case the Zombie outbreak is real. If I’m going to be eaten alive, I want nice cold one to go with it…

Stockpile before the Panic.

Don’t get caught with your pants down if SHTF

(Diana) #107

I’ve been reading some of this thread, so apologies in advance if some of this has already been noted. But here are the things I would make sure you have on hand:
-canned tuna, canned sardines (acquired taste but if you like them you love them :))
-nut butter (Costco has a great copy cat of the Nuttzo keto nut butter), very filling and if you’re in for longer periods of time this can carry you a while for sustenance.
-as you said the assumption is that electricity will be working so I’d stock up on all meats that you eat, frozen veggies (cauliflower, broccoli), and frozen avocado (you can actually do this yourself as well).
-raw sauerkraut is really helpful to keep your gut healthy.
-eggs
-coconut milk (as it can be used to help with your fats and won’t expire for a while).
-cheese (if you’re eating it) as it’s dense in calories/fat. So many different ways you can eat it, fresh, fried to make almost chip like, melted on top of food etc.
-nuts (macademias, brazil nuts for selenium just don’t over eat them).

Just my 2 cents. Again apologies as I anticipate most of this has been discussed.

(Windmill Tilter) #108

We’ve completely prepared for this in the US; we’re probably the most most prepared for it. We have 10,000 people in at-home quarantine in the US, and we’ve already tested 500 of them over the past 2 weeks. Also, of the 300 million masks that we estimate medical professionals will need, we already have 42 million of them. We have contracts with 3M to make some more domestically, because we can’t import them (no one will sell them).

We’re way ahead of this thing.

(Windmill Tilter) #109

Russian roullette is a dangerous game. Your odds of death are 1 in 6, which is 16.7%. If my 85 year old grandmother contract CV19, her odds of dying are 14.8%. That seems abnormally high. I’ve always felt that Russian roulette was unsafe. Though slightly less risky, I’m starting to think she should not maintain her normal schedule of going to church, grocery shopping, or her reading club.

Most people are vaguely aware that the risk is higher for older adults than younger ones. The actually risk by demographic segment haven’t been broadly published by the press though. It would cause a panic among seniors (at least here in the US).

These stats are based on two published studies from the CCDC and the WHO. The former has is based on 59,000 cases, and the latter was published by the WHO for days ago and is based on 72,000 cases. Here is the link.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/#ref-1

Here are the two reports from which the article draws it’s data.

http://weekly.chinacdc.cn/en/article/id/e53946e2-c6c4-41e9-9a9b-fea8db1a8f51

(Windmill Tilter) #110

The press has also allayed fears by adding the caveat that in most cases patients had comorbidities, so healthy people should be just fine. Let’s take a look at those comorbidities:

This virus seems to disproportionately kill the obese. The standard comorbidities of being obese are cardio vascular disease, high blood pressure (hypertension), or diabetes. I’d guess more than half of Americans are obese and have at least one of those conditions. Moreover, I’m guessing the US has a higher % of people with these conditions than China, which would mean our mortality rates should be much higher than the much cited 2.3% overall death rate.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #111

Obesity is certainly more of a problem in the US than China, but China is a TOFI country. Diabetes is rising quickly here. Another thing to consider is that smoking is far more common in China, not to mention the pollution. Not saying health is better in the US, just warning against romanticizing life and health in China. People be people, no matter where. Population density puts the US in a better position. I am concerned for India.

(Windmill Tilter) #112

Good point. I’m definitely not romanticizing health in China. I know they’ve been affected by rising obesity just like the rest of the world, I’m just pointing out that if obesity is material comorbidity, the US is in trouble! Nobody is really talking about that. We have double the general obesity (China: 14.1% vs US: 35%) and abdominal obesity.(China: 32% vs US: 62%) Ref 1.

To your point though the smoking rate and air quality is higher. I guess we’ll know which factors are more important in a month or two. My larger point is that Western countries like the US should not assume that the mortality rates from China will be the same as what we will experience.

1. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2019-10-28/obesity-rates-in-china-have-tripled-over-the-past-10-years

(Doug) #113

It’s amazing…

https://www.livescience.com/10195-1-3-americans-diabetes-2050-cdc.html

(Windmill Tilter) #114

This is a great point too. Something that nobody is talking about is that there is a difference in the risk of death for men vs women. Men have almost double the risk of death that women do!

Could this be due to smoking rates? Around 50% of men in China smoke, but only 2% of women do. Comparatively, in America, 25% of men smoke, and 19% of women do.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/#ref-1

(charlie3) #115

Here in SE Michigan there is apparently a Walmart that has sold out of certain cleaning supplies. (I speculate that commercial interests may have binge purchased when their commercial suppliers ran short.) I was food shopping on Sunday. If there was panic buying I didn’t notice it. I did find an important food item in my everyday food was out of stock so if I’m going to eventually stock something better to be careful with procrastinating.

Right now I’ve got 30 pounds of beef and 8 pounds of salmon in the freezer, some dozens of eggs and 3 quarts of heavy cream in the frig and 4 liters of olive oil on the shelf. Most of my calories come from those.

(Brandy) #116

I live in the Seattle area and since the US deaths have all been here, the grocery aisles are pretty empty. People are nervous around here and I can’t say I’m not (they’re confirming one case from a town that’s a 20 minute drive from me) but I’m not panicking either. I did stock up yesterday, but not because I’m worried I won’t have access to the stuff I need. I just want to minimize the number of times I’m placing myself and my family members in big crowds of people. I didn’t buy any of the things people are rushing for. Instead, I bought sixty five pounds of meat and filled my freezer. That’ll do us for a while. As for other precautions, we’re just using barriers such as gloves or paper towels between us and gas pumps, door knobs, etc. and washing our hands like crazy.

(JJ) #117

I do wonder also that there are probably so many more unconfirmed cases wandering about, as symptoms may be quite mild(ish) and present like any other viral cold in the well population. A viral cold is something that most don’t seem to worry about and most seem to go about their days as normal, just utilising medication like cold and flu tablets to get through their normal routines. I am a healthcare worker and it never ceases to amaze me how many people venture out in public spaces when they are clearly ‘fluey’ or struck down with a viral cold.

I live in Australia and we will soon be heading into our influenza season, yet for the most part it is still warm and sunny here, exactly the conditions that they say Corona is less likely to spread, yet it has now started to be jump person to person here in the past few days. Our only previous diagnosed cases were ‘imported’.

My feeling is that this thing is only going to get bigger and indeed is probably bigger than the authorities can possibly realise due to the ‘walking well but infected population’.

I am not in a risk category healthwise, being 39yo, lean fit and active. However I did nearly kick the bucket three years ago from a sudden deterioration from a simple mycoplasma pneumonia. One day I was at work feeling well,no respiratory symptoms at all- the next morning I was septic and in and out of-consciousness, remaining that way for the next 5 days until the medical staff managed to get on top of it with a truckload of IV antibiotics, I remained on supplemental oxygen for a good while after I was out of the woods. So I am not so confident that seemingly healthy people may not be adversely affected in some instances.

I haven’t stockpiled as such, but I am a keen bushwalker so have on hand a supply of meats and meals that I have dehydrated myself, powdered coconut milks, powdered eggs etc.
I can see the sense in stocking up, as others have mentioned whether to remain indoors and avoid infection yourself, or as a measure of self-quarantine to protect others if you think you are unwell yourself.

A couple things…

For those who’ve stocked up on dry goods- like brown rice, dry beans, oatmeal, various types of flour- if you don’t end up using it right away, consider dry canning it so as not to waste it.
Dry canning is super easy. Just use sterile jars, heat them in the oven on a cookie sheet, fill jars within an inch of the top, bake at 180 -190 for 90 min (half gal jars), remove from oven, then top with dry sterile lids, and flip the jars upside down. They will pressure seal.

I watch Bobby Parrish- Flav City on Youtube from time to time, and he has a few pretty good reviews of foods to store or stockpile. One that I thought was sort of unique was naturally fermented sauerkraut. My understanding might be slightly off, but in the event that we can’t get out to the store and get yogurt, kefir or some other probiotic rich substance to keep our guts healthy…sauerkraut is an option. I did manage to find one without a crap ton of preservatives, so bought a couple jars today. I’ll use it regardless, but thought I’d toss the idea out there for those interested.

I’ve not noticed any evidence of super panic around here, EXCEPT for the absence of hand sanitizer, lysol or clorox wipes, and no masks anywhere. Seems to be an uptick in purchases of canned goods and bottled water, but not on a hysteria-like level.

(Todd Allen) #119

I canned all of those sorts of things years ago once I realized how much I liked eating keto. They went in our kitchen 13 gallon can which stays fairly clean and dry because we use plastic liner bags for easy removal.

(Katie) #120

Everyone needs to accept that there is no stopping this except that everyone, in every community, do their own private best to avoid getting this. It is up to us to slow this down so the push for a vaccine has the best chance of arriving soon. We are the firewall now.

(Windmill Tilter) #121

The good news is that the vaccine is only 12-18 months away. The bad news is that it’s an evolving virus thats had 80,000 people to replicate in and mutate. There are now two distinct strains of corona virus, the original type S and type L which comprises 70% of recent cases. Type L appears to have 50% higher lethality, and is more contagious. It might mean we need more than one vaccine.

I’m not typically a praying man, but right now I’m praying that the data is wrong, and this thing is less contagious and lethal than advertised. Wouldn’t be the first time the media overhyped something and got it wrong.