Food stockpile in case corona virus comes nearby

(Bob M) #82

That was just a random link for me. I just happened to click on that one.

I think the President’s press conference yesterday about the coronavirus was terrible. The experts get up and say it’s not if but when the coronavirus will get here and we should all be prepared. (My wife wants to prepare for a 4-6 week school closing!) Then the President says that we only have 15 coronavirus cases in the US (which is wrong, we have at least 60), and those are going to be zero soon and this could all disappear. What? You can’t say “we should all be preparing for disaster” then turn around and say “there’s no possibility of disaster”.

By the way, this is a website that shows up-to-date info:

https://thewuhanvirus.com/

It’s a bit misleading, as all of the US is marked with 60 cases and all of Russia is marked with 5 cases, but those are obviously concentrated in certain areas of those countries. Those areas are not shown, though.

Also, no one is really sure what the death rate is from China or who is getting infected, or who is dying (one of the first doctors to treat people was in his 30s and died from the virus!), and how it spreads.

Anyway, let’s hope it doesn’t get worse, but I think it will.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #83

I agree this is distressing, but we also must remember that health care workers are exposed to much higher viral load every day than anyone else. They are also a high risk group by the nature of their work, no matter how careful they are. And since he was one of the first fighting this, he was doing so with far less information on this virus. His sacrifice was real and should be honored.

That doesn’t mean the illness it’s self is worse than other things we live with every day. The measures taken have been out of an abundance of caution and to try to keep the virus from establishing itself in our ecosystem. Some sensible, like isolating infected people. Some out of fear and not reason, like travel bans. Which WHO has advised against the whole time.

But preparing for your kids to be out of school for a month or two… If the Chinese model of managing the outbreak holds, I think your wife is a wise woman.

I would be thrilled, and not surprised, if it turns out that is an unnecessary precaution. I just mean that I have been living that reality, and one day it will come to the Western World too. Hopefully not this time.

(Bob M) #84

Well, my kids have been saying that the 20s are “cursed” with infections, as they got the idea that world-wide infections occurred in 1820 and 1920 (not sure about 1720).

And my wife could easily be correct, as Japan just shut schools down too. It would be a stunning difference, though. We go to church Sundays - no more church. My oldest takes dance three days a week - no dance. Both kids take karate - no karate. Oldest is in a play at school - no play. No school. Possibly no work.

This isn’t good:

You can be a carrier of corona virus and spread it, but you won’t get sick.

I think that might also be the case with the flu. Both my kids had the flu this year, though only one got an official test. But I’d bet money that if you went into a building, a school, etc., you could test everyone and (assuming the test does not issue false positives) some of the people would have the flu but be asymptomatic.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #85

Well, you can reassure your kids. The biggest plague so far in recent times was the Influenza of 1918-20. See! It started in late 2019 this time… Okay. Your kids have a point.

Yeah, asymptomatic carriers is what makes this kind of thing hard to control.

As far as no work or socializing in large groups (say, 3 people) go, well, welcome to my world.

(Bob M) #86

I can see how that could suck. I live in a fairly wealthy area and if the coronavirus hit here in March/April, all the people who take trips to Disney each year will be stuck at home. All the businesses (restaurants, mainly) that rely on people getting out will be hit hard. This could easily push the country toward recession.

(Susan) #87

His videos are funny (he is a comedian) but he also makes some good points through the comedy.

(Katie) #88

Do not panic…prepare.

The window of opportunity is closing. Once everyone knows that this is going to spread Mickey across the country, there will be panic buying. Do not be in that crowd.

No need to go buy “survival food”. Just do your regular grocery shopping, but stock up with a couple weeks more, Buy the stuff you usually eat…then if (as we all pray) this just blows over, then you will have a couple weeks where your grocery shopping will be really cheap because you don’t have to buy much.

(Katie) #89

Lol. Mickey? Autocorrect for comic relief, I thought I wrote Wildly

(charlie3) #90

May be I wrote earlier, “containing” the virus really means slowing the spread so there are enough medical resources for seniors and people with pre-existing conditions. That’s why the Chinese build 2 large field hospitals quickly in Wuhon. The best defense is a strong immune system which is at least a by-product of what this forum is about and I’m being advised one of the best things I can do is make sure sleep is optimized.

I started buying a few cans of Lysol and hand sanitizer at the Dollar tree back in January before this thing got to this point. I figured I would eventually use it (flu season anyway), so what the heck. I will probably buy a few more to stock up. As far as food goes I will probably just buy a couple of extra big jars of peanut butter just in case it gets crazy. The stuff keeps for a long time and would be there just in case it got to the point where even a grocery store visit would be high risk. I’ve got enough food in the deep freeze to go for a while (needs eaten anyway and would save money)…:slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this will all fizzle and disappear, but if it doesn’t, I’ve already got a few extra weeks of food and supplies.

The trouble is that three of my sons are in college this fall and likely won’t fail classes to stay safe. My husband can’t work from home unless the company decides to shut down the office, and by then it will likely be too late… We are on our own well, so we should have water.

(charlie3) #93

i’m not planning on stockpiling water. I’m assuming basic utilities and services will continue as normal.

80% + of the people infected will have reletively mild symptoms and recover without intervention which will be due entirey to strength of their immune system. If too many get sick too fast there won’t be enough ventilators available to save everybody who would benefit. I want the flexibility to just stay home for a while (30 days) or only go out at the best time for me. If I get infected I want lungs and immune system in the best condition possible. Food, exercise, sleep, the usual suspects are in play.

(charlie3) #94

Here is the best government response to corona virus I’ve seen from any nation. Happens to be the governor of New York.

I tried to buy a chest freezer at Home Depot, there was nothing that would fit in the car. Back to the drawing board. May be I’m over reacting. Still, it would be nice to have options.

(Scott) #95

Not doing anything other than what I do on a normal keto WOE. Spring will be here soon and that will help reduce the flu cases. My daughter works in a large hospital ICU and I asked her what actions they are taking she replied “nothing, they think this is a joke.” I must admit I am having fun looking at all the canned goods going into peoples shopping carts. They are going to have to eat some really crappy food or awhile. It is also funny that yesterday we threw out a lot of non keto food because it is almost two years old or more.

(charlie3) #96

I won’t stock things I don’t normally eat. I suppose the strong response in China sets a frantic tone and may be it’s justified for them more than other places. But it’s already the case that some people who might have lived didn’t because there was no hospital bed and breathing assistance available. Corona is not the same as seasonal flu. It’s interesting and may be reassuring that some in the medical care business aren’t worried.

I saw nothing unusual when I went shopping, maybe it’s in the cities as I can’t avoid the topic online so it seems Hungarians buy stuff too, I just never hear or see about it irl…
My house is as well-stocked as always in the last several years. I didn’t start to worry about the virus yet (my SO mentioned it would be fun to travel when others are afraid to… I don’t think so but it seems he isn’t the worrying type either). I hope nothing will happen here as my own food is very little, we mostly store plant food (that’s convenient) and I can’t function properly while eating much carbs. I would survive, though, I just prefer feeling as right as I can and not being hungry and eating a ton, that’s actually not okay when I can’t buy more food…
Even the cats have more meat than the amount in my fridge (I mean, on their own bodies but I actually have some canned cat food too)… But I have fat, that’s very calorie dense. And eggs for a week. I don’t want to live without eggs. If I had space for them, I probably would have thought about keeping hens, ruining my relationship with the many foxes here… I like foxes.

I have a well and a very good immune system. Not as good as I would like, I get a 3 day cold in every 15 years but well, it’s not bad and I trust it will get better on a better lifestyle.

(mole person) #98

At this point we are seeing community spread in the United States and I expect to hear the same is occurring in Canada in the coming days. So it’s prudent to think about a bit of stockpiling. Remember this isn’t just about protecting ourselves. I’m actually not particularly worried about catching it. I’m 52 years old and in good health with none of the comorbidities for this virus. But if I catch it I’d be horrendously irresponsible to go shopping as I might infect someone or several people who are not in such a robust state. And the virus is long lasting. It can linger and remain infectious for 4 to 6 weeks. So we should all be thinking about the possibility that at any time we might need to self quarantine for at least a month. So yah, at this point I’m thinking about that and I’m starting to gather what items I’d need to go a month without shopping while remaining keto at least and preferably carnivore.

I agree with you Rose. That’s mainly why I’ve stored extra food. Three of my sons work part time in fast food restaraunts and are taking college classes, so they are exposed a number of ways. I think (hope) they are healthy enough so it won’t be a big problem, but my youngest has asthma, (although not any problems with that for years).

I care for a bed-bound relative 24/7 while my husband works. But if one of us gets sick… well, we will all probably need to hunker down for a while. Mostly, I’m concerned for our elderly relative with dementia. :slightly_frowning_face:

All-in-all, I’m not too concerned. I’m one of those people who like to plan for the possibilities.

(Amy) #100

My stepson’s been on lockdown in Shanghai for the past month. He and his wife aren’t allowed to go to work, or anywhere else, really, except for the grocery store. It’s not stressful for him, just quite boring really. I have been stocking up on art supplies for projects I’d like to do, given the extra time. I admit, I’ve been buying more fatty meat when I see it on sale, and a few extra cans of coconut milk, but anymore seems wasteful.

I went to the doctor last week with fever, respiratory symptoms, and nausea. She gave me a strep test, which was negative, and said I could return to work. I am a teacher with nearly 300 students weekly.

They’ve already said that the virus circulated around Washington state for about 6 weeks before a case was serious enough to warrant testing. I read yesterday that only 500 tests have been given in the U.S… They are not testing those with mild symptoms, which account for most of the cases. There are likely thousands walking around with a mild case, spreading it to others. This whole thing is horribly mismanaged.

(mole person) #101

Two of the Washington cases that died today were only confirmed as coronavirus today. Unbelievabley underprepared considering how much lead up time they had. South Korea has tested over 100,000 people.