Food stockpile in case corona virus comes nearby

(Katie) #122

Sorry, but I read that same study. You missed an important point in that study…the L type was much more aggressive…and the study shows it has mostly died out now. Probably because it was so aggressive it made itself know quickly allowing the Chinese to effect quarantine faster.

But,that isn’t good news. The S type is much more able to spread because it stays under the radar for long extended time periods. We are seeing cases that clearly show this has been moving in the population here for at least 6 weeks.

(charlie3) #123

I’ve decided I’m not going to buy a freezer at this point. Instead, the two food markets where I shop open at 6:00 am and 8:00 am. I’ll be standing there when the door is unlocked, with a list. In and out, fast as possible. I’ll wear protective gloves in public places and wash the gloves on my hands as often as practical. The gloves will be easier to wash than my hands and extend my supply of gloves I normally use for working on the car or a few tasks in the kitchen. I have a box full. I’ll buy enough food to minimize trips.

I’ve been trying to avoid any kind of suppliments but end up intermitently topping off magnesium and calcium. Going forward I’m going to suppliment 1,000 mg of vit C. Then I’ll suppliment with 50 mcg of vit d3 until I’m spending more time in the sun. (The science i can find has some evidence of resistance to viral infection. Above 50 mcg of d might be counter productive and daily doses are best assuming it works at all. I’m always leary of supplimenting anything even when crono thinks i’m coming up short.)

This will not be a horrific situation unless regions run out of hospital beds meaning slow spread is preferred. At 71 I’m in the higher risk catagory though after 2 years of low carb and exercise may be I’m healthier than average.

(linda) #124

I’ve added a large container of Naked Whey powder supplement for protein to my stockpile!

(charlie3) #125

I’ve noticed reports of someone being charged $3,000 for a corona virus test. Since there is no cure, only treating symptoms, the test is needed by the public, not by the sick person so why agree to the test unless it’s garanteed to be free to the patient?

I’m thinking about the presence or absense of virus contamination on food. So far it appears the virus can survive for some time but not unlimited time on surfaces, presumably including food. So, for how long? Do I finess this by not eating the items for a few days? I keep beef and fish in the freezer. Will that environment kill the virus? Will virus that might be on fresh vegetables die after a couple days in the frig? Might be useful to find out.

Did I hear some where that whey protein can spike blood sugar or is that a myth?

(mole person) #126

I’ve read that the test will be free in the US but not the visit to the doctor or ER. I can’t begin to think of what a dreadful disincentive that will be to people who do not have severe symptoms. Hopefully, they do something about this soon.

(charlie3) #127

I don’t see what’s so special about this outbreak except the hospital and fatality rates are higher than usual. I’m going to stay home if I have flu or cold symptoms except for food. If the symptoms get scary i’ll go to the hospital. I would like to know how prevelent coronia might be in my area but i don’t really need to know if i have it even if symptoms get serious. All the medical system can do is treat my symptoms.

(Katie) #128

For 80% of the population this isn’t going to be a huge big deal impacting their own health. But, once you have it you are spreading it, It looks like it is about 3.5 to 6.1 infection rate. Meaning you will pass it along to that many more people,

The big deal is the deaths. For every 10 people you infect three will die. Older people and people with underling conditions…but…not always.

So…we must be the fire break. We need to NOT catch it…that is the only way to slow this down enough to wait out 12-18 months for a vaccine. No matter how mild your symptoms are…there is someone else it will kill.

(charlie3) #129

I have no plans to endanger others. I’ll shop when the store is mostly empty. I’m a bit of a hermit by nature so staying home is not a great challenge (also insulates me from everybody else’s food and drug vices). I want to avoid infection at least until I know more about who survives and who doesn’t.

The question that interests me right now is the safe way to treat fresh food that is potentially contaminated with the virus. My hunch is a few days quarenteen in the frig or freezer should be sufficient but better to have some expert opinion.

Edit: I originally was told it can only live on most surfaces for a day but now that is is probably wrong. there are now articles saying it can live for 9 days. This article seems to extrapolate from Mers and Sars but both of those are Corona viruses so are relevant

I am no expert so do your own research

(back and doublin' down) #131

I did my once a month shopping on Saturday with this thread in the back of my mind. I used ‘curbside pickup’ at Walmart to avoid going in, and could have done the same at my grocery store. Made note of that for future needs in the next few months.

(Brandy) #132

I did the same thing this week. Picked up curbside that is. And today we were given notice that our first case has been confirmed on our little island. I might opt to have delivery next.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #133

I saw a news story about a city in China where local businesses were paying for coolers to be stocked with drinks and snacks so that sanitation workers and delivery people could eat for free out of appreciation for them being out and about and making it so others didn’t have to. I never thought of delivery guys as being on the front line before this outbreak, but they certainly are.

It is a tad closer I am fully comfortable with it right now. It hit Italy hard, it seems and it’s very close. We only had a handful of cases in Hungary, it was 5 two days ago I’ve read.

It will be nice when it will be over. But nothing really started here yet, there is no panic or more emptiness in shops (I mean the items, not people) as usual.
I will do my monthly shopping in the city on Saturday.
I am almost a hermit (except that I live together with someone :slight_smile: he has a bit more contact with people), I see people once a week when I go into the village (I sing in the choir and we practice once a week) and at my monthly shopping. And fine, sometimes I see people while walking, the nearby wildlife park is very popular when the weather is nice but I mostly visit in on weekdays when there are fewer people. It would be super easy not to go near them if I wanted to be extra safe.
But this country is pretty safe at the moment.

(Jane Srygley) #135

I bought some extra whey protein and a big jar of coconut oil. I figure all I really need is animal protein and saturated fat. Be well everyone!

Made a few observations and inquiries around our area over the last few days. All of our local stores- 3 local grocers, Walmart were all of of
Hand Sanitizer
Disinfectant wipes
Thermometers
Alcohol
and almost out of Zicam.
The Walgreen store still had a few disinfectant wipes, zicam, thermometers, and alcohol. Overheard a customer ask about hand sanitizer, and what I presume was a manager say “there are 302 Walgreens stores currently sold out of hand sanitizer. I doubt this location is going to get more anytime soon.”. Not too optimistic sounding. She went on to say that you can make your own sanitizer by mixing 91pct rubbing alcohol with aloe vera gel - and voila!

The two stores I go to seems to have experienced an uptick in canned goods sales, as well.

It has nothing to do with the virus but we only have 6 liters of coconut oil so we ordered much more. And it’s almost only for my SO and some of the food we both eat as I barely use added fat and that’s lard (I have maybe 3 pounds? enough for months, for sure).
We do our monthly shopping as usual, I don’t think our usual food for 1 month (except eggs and probably meat. both of my really important items so I would change my diet to some extent if I couldn’t buy them for a while) and dry plant food (lots of carbs and protein) and fat for a way longer time won’t be enough (and if not, it’s pretty bad either way). The only stuff we need to buy frequently are vegetables to eat raw but pickled vegetables and spring onions in pots (my first ones are almost ready to eat) help a bit. I don’t need this part, one jar of pickles should be enough per 1-3 months. But it’s not a real need for me.

5 cases in my country and Italy is too near. I start to feel a tiny bit uncomfortable but I am very bad at panic so I won’t do that. Best wishes, everyone, most of you probably are less safe than me here, I don’t even see people often. But if my freedom was seriously limited, that wouldn’t be nice. Let’s hope it won’t happen.

(charlie3) #138

Just back from shopping for things I don’t need at a SE Michigan Walmart, bit of a ghetto store. I have 12 days supply of eggs, 14 lbs of salmon, about 30 lbs of beef pressed in to 5 oz patties, 4 quarts of heavy cream for coffee. There was lot’s of toilet paper to buy so I did, actually needed some. I asked some staff if buying behavior has changed. Hand cleaners and related items are sold out. Chicken is mostly sold out. Plenty of fish and beef to buy. No corona cases reported for Michigan as of this writting.

Normally I avoid suppliments. For this situation I’m taking 50 mcg of D3 and 1000 mg of C daily and topping off calcium and magnesium more diligently. Might help, can’t hurt.

At 71 I’m presumably in a higher risk catagory, but wait, I spent the last 2 years focused on living healthy as possibe, diet, exercise, sleep, the whole package. Will that make any damn difference? Time will tell.

P.S. Vaping got me off cigs 5 1/2 years ago and a recent exam and xray show everything is A ok, lucky me.

(charlie3) #139

Yesterday shopping picked up another item i’ve been thinking about since before corona virus, an oxygen saturation meter. I realized this morning that oxygen in the blood might be part of diagnosing pneumonia. Turns out that it is. So I’ll use mine to help decide when to look for medical help.

(charlie3) #140

So this morning I learn there are 2 cases in Michigan, Oakland and Wayne counties, my stomping grounds. So I’ll go out today and shop for a few more items. Costco, olive oil, peanut butter, may be a flu shot. Walmart for salmon, eggs, vinegar, seasonings. I may stop at an auto parts store and see if any gloves are available, may be get another box. My fresh vegetable and beef gets topped off on Saturday so I’ll show up when they unlock the door to get in and out quick.

I’m seeing the politicians are coming around to canceling a lot of events and daily activities and that’s going to push a lot of people to buy more than usual. I expect most people to focus on packaged food and the fresh stuff should be easier to find.

For crying out loud . . . We are not talking about earthquakes or war. We are talking about staying home.

This is the 21st century, get your supplies DELIVERED.

Stockpiling hurts everyone.