Food stockpile in case corona virus comes nearby

If our temperatures didn’t fluctuation so much, that would be one thing. But we end up with 7F one day, then mid-30’s the next. The freezers we currently use are in our basement, and not easy to get access to transport out of doors. So, our plan is to keep ithe several hundred pounds of beef packed in the freezers for 24-48hrs, then plug in the generator if need be. Whatever begins to thaw gets cooked and eaten, or canned.

As for water, hubby installed a Buffalo pump on our water pump so we can hand-pump water if the electricity is out. Another bonus…last year or so we bought another 40 acres +/- with an artesian well on it. So, we can always go collect jugs of that amazing water anytime.

We have a whole gob of those N95 masks among others, too. When our house burned down in 2016, and we had tons of stuff to sort through, some donated a whole bunch of safety gear- masks, goggles, gloves, etc…and we didn’t use all of it- but found some in our basement, barn and closets. What a gift! (It’s a horrible thing to lose nearly everything you own, but I’ll tell ya…there are blessings beyond measure when I step back and look at the big picture!)

(Windmill Tilter) #62

Case in point. It’s a pretty efficient way to transport people into an involuntary quarantine, but I’m unsure how it would be received in a city like NY where folks own a few million guns, and people have a somewhat different perspective on people being chained together and forced to march into captivity.

If the Chinese are willing to go to these lengths to contain the virus and they are still incapable of containing it, what are the odds that the rest of the world have any chance of doing it?

(charlie3) #63

I measured my current freezer space, estimate 2.5, may be 3 cubic feet. I know how much that will hold. For a chest freezer there’s no harm in going a size larger, say 5 cubic feet, because it’s not going to be plugged in except for special situations. More freezer space for meat and fish simplifies everything. All the other animal based foods I’d want, like eggs and cream have long shelf lives refrigerated. i’m still learning but estimate i can keep 10 days worth of salad ingredients on hand before spoilage is a problem. If there was still a chance to shop before a deciding to stay in the house I could run to Costco and pick up nuts and cheese, foods I’ve stopped buying because they are too tempting to snack on.

(Bob M) #64

I thought this was crazy, but my wife went to buy masks of the type you can use for protection against viruses – and you can’t buy them in the U.S… They are not in the stores, not online, nowhere. We have some for various reasons, but not many, and some are really more for particulates and not viruses. (Not to mention, I saw a post on Twitter saying this virus can pass through eye ducts or the like.)

Yikes!

(mole person) #65

Yah, that first doctor who died from it got it from examining an infected patient while wearing a mask so the hypotheses is that it went in through his eyes.

(Bob M) #66

That’s disconcerting, assuming this becomes prevalent. I have some goggles, but they’re for eye protection, most are completely open (like glasses), and the ones that are covered have holes to let out steam (and even then, they still fog up).

I saw a Twitter discussion where this person (whom I did not care for) said that the CDC has info about how to prevent getting sick. Be that as it may, both my kids got the flu this year for the first time in I think since they’ve been born (12+ years). You can’t prevent kids from getting sick when other kids have the flu, a stomach virus, etc. We can do all the hand washing we want, but we can’t control what happens at school.

(Retta Stephenson) #67

According to Dr Berry’s video, it can enter any mucous membrane, such as mouth, nose, eyes…

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #68

Yeah, this is why there aren’t many. They are useless. Less then useless because they don’t protect you and they make you touch your face more often. Hand washing and not touching your face are the real protection. Do I wear them outside? Yeah, I do. Because it is the law where I live. And more importantly, it shows people in my community that I care.

My opinion is that it would be more effective to treat Covid-19 the same way we do the flu. But we also should take the flu more seriously.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #69

I liked this video for the first part talking about facts. I was disappointed with the fear mongering in the latter half.

(Bob M) #70

I think we should take the flu less seriously. The amount of “OMG You will DIE if you don’t get a flu shot!” I see is stunning. Where I live, they don’t even take down the signs for flu shots…in the summer. They never stop advertising them.

We have had tons of kids out of school this year, to the extent the director of the school system had to ensure people that not more than a normal amount of kids were out of school.

If we want to emphasize something, let’s teach parents not to allow their kids to go to school or outside events if they are sick. My daughter said several of the kids she knew who were in a local production had the flu during the production and one of them went to school with the flu. Regardless of what you have, if you’re sick, you should stay home.

That’s the way it should be at work too. The US sucks for giving people time off for sickness, child birth, etc. Maybe we should rethink that?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #71

The problem isn’t that you will die. It is that your elderly parents or immunocompromised people you know could die. I’m all for protecting those people. But your point stands. And if it stands for the flu, it stands for Covid-19.

(charlie3) #72

So far it appears coronavirus makes 15% of the infected sick enough to require hospitaliztion to survive the pneumonia and some of them need intensive care and a ventilator. If the virus becomes as wide spread as flu there won’t be enough hospital faciities and people will die for lack of care. The incidence of hospitalization is probaby higher among seniors and people with pre existing conditions.

i’m advised that the first line of defense is a robust immune system and the fastest way to improve that is high quality sleep.

i’m close to getting a small chest freezer to fill with meat and fish that I already eat. May be I’ll stay home for weeks or a month and go carnivore when the veggies run out.

I’m a prepper so I’m good for six months without leaving the house for any type of natural or national disaster.

Stockpiled hospital grade mask and hand sanitizer. Also, as Dr. Barry informed us it’s very important to have eye protection since your eyes are open mucous membrane and acceptable to the flu or the coronavirus.

Goggles or some type of eye protection and bleach are a must.

I keep hand sanitizer in the car and use it every time I’m out in public.

My philosophy is simple, don’t get caught with your pants down.

Have a blessed day.

(charlie3) #74

What do you stockpile for calories and protein?

I’m a Prepper been prepping for years in case of one of these scenarios. A natural or national disaster such as catastrophic floods, wildfires, and earthquakes. Or, civil unrest, Civil War.

When there is a matter of survival diets on the last thing on your mind.

a%20prep2

a%20prep

(Bob M) #77

That is impressive.

They are warning that the coronavirus is in the US:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/25/f4045570-5758-11ea-9000-f3cffee23036_story.html

(Bob M) #78

Water?

Gallons of water last count I had 20 cases of bottled water.

Also plenty of spirits to enjoy as we watch Netflix if there is a complete shutdown :wine_glass:

(charlie3) #80

Really long article, didn’t make it too the end. It might help if the public health people would identify the groups with the highest risk to need hospitalization or intensive care so they might take more precautions. It might help if those people get infected slow enough to not overwhelm the medical system. Apparently 80% of all the infections will be experienced like the flu or a cold so may be focus on protecting the most vulnerable.

(Katie) #81

In other countries (like Singapore and S. Korea) the government is identify exactly where positive cases are located. They are also testing thousands for the virus. Neither of these are being done in the USA. Not testing. 48 states do not even have viable test kits on hand! It is not being treated with seriousness here. CDC finally admitted that we are at the tripping point.,pandemic. WHO figured out they wouldn’t call a pandemic by simply removing that word from their vocabulary.

Ok…anyone who doesn’t think this is very serious has not been following the press releases around the world. Mountains of information is being published daily…everywhere but here. People need to understand that the trade off is going to be economy or lives. Our press is owned by corporations…everyone needs to understand that information is withheld to serve the economy not public health.

I think the biggest risks here are the lockdowns. We are seeing it all over the world. Can you be quarantined for 3 weeks or more? 80% will only have a mild case…but…100% will be caught in the lockdown.