Food sensitivities testing after 30 days of steak

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #61

Ok.
It turns out, contrary to popular belief, that I am indeed human.

After so much restriction, I couldn’t bring myself to do any more, as romantic as it sounded in my head, I wasn’t able to remain “pure” to complete the planned testing.

Steaks with barbecue sauce, maple bacon, pork chops and cheese. Tuna salad with mayo and bell peppers, and peanut butter banana filled keto candies were calling my name.
Magic mushroom powder on cracklin’ chicken, Puruvian anticuchos, fresh flat leaf parsley in browned butter…
(most of those recipes I posted on this forum within the last week)

I had been deprived much too long of flavors.

I plan to test sweeteners, but it will have to be in my now defiled body. Lol

I’ll test by using a BG monitor (and my 2 ketone monitors just for good measure) like this:

After several hours fasted (15-20), I test my BG (and ketones). Then I eat a measurement of sweetener (say, 1/2 teaspoon erythritol), then test every 30 minutes for 3 hours. I will test stevia, sucralose, and probably xylitol.

Eventually this is what I am looking for:

If I get a significant BG (blood glucose) DROP, I’ll know the sweetener caused a significant release of insulin.

We don’t want that.

My suspicion is- all these sweeteners will affect me. I say this because I have noticed I seem to be affected physically by all of them (how I “feel”) when I eat/drink any significant amount.

I have felt tired, sleepy, gotten a headache etc when I eat any significant amount of any artificial sweetener, so I tend to use them as little as possible.

Everyone reacts differently. I am still significantly insulin resistant, and my gut biome may process the sweeteners more efficiently as well. Dammit.

My fasting insulin (recently evaluated) was 11. If I remember the charts correctly that @richard showed me, normal is 6, and anything over 15 is much too high.

I plan to get even healthier, and bring that fasting insulin number down.

I wish I had a fasting insulin number from back in the day when my A1c was 12. My A1c now is a normal range 5.5.

Thanks for following along on my steak challenge and my sensitivities testing, even though I didn’t follow through with keeping my body in a pure state. Lol

It is kind of a super human feat. VERY difficult to eat the same exact thing for days and days, right @DaveKeto?

(Jacquie) #62

@Brenda I’m keen to follow your sweetener testing. I did a protocol, similar to the one you’re doing, last fall. I only tested SweetLeaf liquid stevia and Swerve. Both tested okay but…I feel way better without them. Haven’t a clue what my fasting insulin is as it’s very difficult to get it tested here but it wouldn’t surprise me if they caused an insulin spike as I could feel cravings for sweet when I ate them and it was hard to control portions. I’ve always had a major sweet tooth.

(Michelle) #63

You are a ROCKSTAR Brenda!! and definitely super human!! :grinning:

Interesting, I’m a dummy I suppose. I thought ketones would push down BG, but yes, insulin would push down BG. I probably need to test sweeteners too, but I don’t know if I have the patience or super human Zorn strength. :grin:

(jketoscribe) #64

Sorry for taking long to respond. I did two whole 30’s, but eggs were OK on whole 30 so it was not one of the things I had to reintroduce. So I’m still not 100% positive about eggs, but I think I’m OK with them. I had to face the fact that I’m not OK with dairy, though. Boo Hoo!

I hear you on the reintroduction phase. The elimination isn’t bad, but patience with the reintroduction process is TERRIBLE. I made the mistake of doing both whole 30’s in October and my birthday is Nov. 6th, so by that date I just gave in. You did it a lot longer than I!!!

(Dave) #65

Um… yes…

I’ll even post a sneak peak at the graphic for one of my upcoming posts…

… and yes, it was one of the hardest experiments to do yet – but the data I’m getting is pure gold!

(Stephanie Hanson) #66

I find this data fascinating. My A1c is higher than yours but my fasting insulin is lower. So, I must be getting more spikes than you. Have you worked out your HOMA-IR?

(John) #67

I am waiting for the results, exciting, I was just about to do a very similar test myself. I can eat shakes all day every day for weeks, I was going to drop to 1 shake and a lot of rice, I think I like yours better, no really big shifts.

(ezeel com) #68

I will test each food three days and watch for any singh

(Candy Lind) #69

And I want to be you when I grow up! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Candy Lind) #70

I would have gone postal or started biting tires of passing vehicles … :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

I went back and read the 30 days of steak. It sounds fantastic! I often do ZC days with one “meat meal.”

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #72

This made me laugh out loud!