Focus on the Non-Scale Victories

(Not Weak) #1

We always tell people that they should forget the scale and look for the job-scale victories. I am in a few different groups and feel like I constantly hear people say they don’t get how they can be losing inches without losing on the scale. This short video explains it so well, hope this helps!

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

I luv how she giggles when it smashes :grinning::joy::sunglasses:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

I would laugh so much harder if she was exploding those balloons in an old toilet bowl at the dump. Verisimilitude.

(Thomas Weaver) #4

Excellent! Great visual, great explanation! Thank you

(Liz) #5

Girl this is exactly what I needed to see right now, cause I’m not quitting but I do kind of have my hands up in the air like… what is even happening?

It’s been wild lately, I’ve been working out like crazy and before this I was losing weight consistent at a pound every couple days. Then I started working out and my numbers flatlined, so I ate less and worked out more, and then I gained a pound and I am pretty mad about that…

Till I noticed my pants fit better and my legs look a bit slimmer. So I’m chalking it up to muscle gain. Still, I’m pretty fat and it seems to me like I can gain muscle and lose weight at the same time?

Here are my numbers btw
Start Weight and Date: 250, March 8th 2018
Current Weight and Date: 234, April 13th 2018
Lowest Weight: 232

My macros are good, fats at 68-82 usually, and I always keep my carbs 20 or under.
Except yesterday when it was my friends birthday and I had some chicken wings and did a 36 carb day. Not gonna let that happen again.

(Pete A) #6

It sounds like you are gaining muscle. And probably still losing fat!

(Chris W) #7

First off, exercise is not a ticket to loose weight it is a way to make your body function better at bare minimum and feel better. The exchange of muscle to fat is a possibility, if you are taking in proper proteins.
Don’t get crazy concerned about the scale, I can vary up to 5 pounds in a day, and I weigh less than you do currently. Most of that comes from water, I trend and as long as the trend is heading south I am happy, that includes weight, size, and BF. There are stalls, equalizations and increases that happen along the way. Women in particular seem to have a more roller coaster ride.
The other thing is the first few weeks tend to shed the most weight via water loss, after that I don’t know what women average but it seems like guys its about 1-2 a week in the average range before fat adaption, I was about 2.5 a week after the my first 2 weeks when I lost 22 pounds from 243. After that it slows down once fat adaption starts in guys, I am now on the order .9 a week but I have had a few none strict weeks lately. I was strict from jan 1 until march 20th about carbs. My understanding is that ladies tend to speed up some then if there is no dysfunction happening like IR or T2D. That said sometimes over night I loose 2 pounds, and keep it off.

I also have changed my exercise in the last few days to increase muscle as Dr. Ted Naiman suggest so that I can burn more energy each day at rest. The type of exercise you do will have a large effect on how you burn. Cardio is good for you, but you really don’t loose weight doing it to any great extend.

Your fat macros seem slim to me, I have always been north of 100g and as you get slimer they should go up. Are you hungry most of the time? If so eat more fat, you body will go into a lower metabolic state if you starve it, give all the fat it desires and you will actually speed things up some.

(Raj Seth) #8

Don’t fall for that old mantra. It doesn’t work. Eat more fat. Eat till you’re sated. Really. It’s okay. As you fat adapt, everything gets better. Your metabolism will need to recover to a healthy level before you start really start losing steadily. Yes there will be stalls and increases along the way. But, whatever you do, don’t stay hungry by eating less. Ruin lies in that strategy.
If you want to ramp up the weight loss or break a stall consider fasting strategies. They work. Lots of resources about that here and at idmprogram.com

(Liz) #9

I’m not terribly hungry, but what I have noticed is for the two days that I “Failed” and had higher calorie counts, at the end of the day when I went to weigh myself I found that I was always less then I expected. Both times actually now that I think about it, I weighed less then I had before I had eaten more food that day. It was wild.

So, I’m coming to accept and understand that my metabolism activates and is happier when im towards the 1200 calorie end of things. It’s just a bit tricky because most of the time I have very little appetite. So, it feels counter productive to make myself eat to hit that mark, and my instincts are mad because its like “good, you want to eat less which can only help”
But ultimately, I’m finding that not to be true.

So, I’ll shift my attitude and my diet a bit for a week to consistently eat 1200 cals a day, and to 100 grams of fat and see how things play out.

(Liz) #10

Yeah, I think i’ll spend a week trying to eat all 1200 of my given calories for a day and try to amp up the fats to 100. It’ll be a good experiment if nothing else.

I’m just really hyped to not be fat anymore and I want to find all the best ways to hurry this along. I have the patience and the attitude/comfort levels to do this for the rest of my life. I love Keto. But still, I like being able to see numberical and visual results- it comes of liking video games and high scores haha

(Chris W) #11

Ok here is the thing, you need to understand you should not be hungry ever. That is important, esp in the beginning weeks. Keep the carbs under 20 most important rule, eat to the macros unless you are still hungry then eat more fat. Fat comes in many sources and types the MCTs in particular are good at boosting ketones early on. Don’t stuff your self if you are hitting below your macros either, they are guides to help you understand yourself.

Don’t count calories, I am not sure were you are getting your data for your macros but they seem way off base based on the info you have provided thus far. 1200 calories is really really low, I would say you should be bare minimum of 1800 and more like 2000 if you are a little younger than 35. I made some guesses and came up with nothing less that 1600, based on your current weight. Do not decrease fat but any great amount until you fat adapt, you will know when that happens, you are probably about half way there now. If you eat over the macros, do worry about it, if you have less protein one day, don’t worry about.

Be patient a lot is happening inside, you have seen some things already. I cannot impart a lot of first hand experience that would apply to you, but even when I was not always loosing weight, either my BF or my waist has been dropping.

(Liz) #12

I just got a keto blood tester, I scored 2.4- and I don’t eat unless I’m hungry whitch is part of the issue my calories are low because I don’t have an appetite.

(Chris W) #13

Well, if that is the case i would consider adding more fat and cutting protein some. The net effect there is you will bump your metabolism and in the long run burn more fat, if you choose to at point down the road it will also make fasting much easier.

(Liz) #14

Ok thank you, I’ll hype up my fat and watch the protein

(Raj Seth) #15

There’s your epiphany - eat when hungry, just make sure you eat enough fat, and not many carbs, and all will be Zen :+1::+1: