Flavored Sparkling Waters

(Fred Buchanan) #1

Are the Zero-Calorie flavored waters a no-no?

The only questionable ingredient is the aspartame…

Y / N???

Thanks!!!

R

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

I don’t know what you are referencing, I sometimes drink Crystal Geyser flavored sparking water, no sweeteners and zero carb. I like the lime. It should be okay is you’re down with aspartame, I don’t like to consume that myself (ant poison!) :cowboy_hat_face:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

Try these, no added sugars or artificial sweeteners if you’re worried about aspartame. I’m one of the fortunate ones that can have artificial sweeteners with no impact on my weight loss or blood sugar. I think @Janie is one of the lucky ones too.

(Susan) #4

=(((( the closest store to me is in Michigan (United States) none in Canada I guess.

I drink tap water. I would not mind buying a few of these to have on hand for a treat, especially on days where I would be sitting at the hospital all day, etc. For occasions such as those it would be nice to have this; or if friends are coming over for a few beers with my hubby and I have this =).

I did buy the Walmart no name Perrier for 99 cents when it was on sale a few weeks back and it was nice. It was lemon flavoured and contained no artificial sweeteners, was 0 carbs, 0 sugars and 0 calories.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #5

What about amazon? :smiley:

(Susan) #6

Eeek, I am sure that it tastes great, but expensive for Canadians!! Thanks for looking though =). I might buy some La Croix to have for those special occasions from Costo =).

(Trish) #7

I buy club soda and add a lemon wedge. The carbonation and bit of sodium creates a while different taste than tap or bottled water. Might be worth a try for you.

I drink La Croix and Polar seltzers. no sweeteners, but do we know how they flavor them? I have never had any issues but should we not drink them? Interesting question.

(Cristian Lopez) #9

@RADA Don’t sweat it! Drinking them to curb off some hunger won’t hurt your progress or ketone production. Yes that’s right, In every study and self test I’ve seen on YouTube and people on reddit I can’t seem to find conclusive evidence that it affects ketone production. Counter to popular belief some people say it raises there insulin through the taste of sweet alone. But i Believe it’s more of an enticement In a psychological level. So if it works for you, drink up, burp up, moderate usage.
… here come the flood of people bashing on the theory aspartame alone can raise blood sugar.

(Cristian Lopez) #10

I personally avoid aspartame because I follow Paleo guidelines, I would suggest getting some non-sweetened flavored sparkling water and adding Stevia drops and apple cider vinegar.

(EDIT) notice I try my best to refrain from a strict biased of beliefs, I point out the pros and cons to give the closest to truthful advice.

(Susan) #11

I do not use any artificial sweetener at all though. I prefer not to. I only wanted it for when my hubby will be in the hospital for a few days. When I am at home I love the tap water, but I found when I took a bottle of it with me and then refilled it there it tasted awful. That was the only reason I was looking at getting any =).

Artificial sweeteners make me hungry, crave sugar, and stall weight loss, so those are the main reasons I prefer to avoid them =-).

(Cristian Lopez) #12

Filterd Tap water or the faucet stuff? You do know the faucet stuff is highly contaminated with heavy metals, copper, chlorine, and fluoride?

Atleast that’s what I’ve herd, if you want I can pull up some evidence?

(Susan) #13

I live in Southwestern Ontario, in Canada, and apparently it is pretty good water? I am on too limited a budget to buy the Britta or other filtration systems to be honest. If our finances weren’t so tight it would be something I would look into. It is pretty much all I drink, except some green tea or herbal teas, basically. Mostly everyone here drinks that as our main drinks.

(Katie) #14

I try and save artificial sweeteners for “treats”, you know, those days that are off norm and you’re craving something special. Or if I’m on vacation, or out with friends… I typically drink the flavored seltzer waters, and accidentally bought sparkling water with the aspartame and it tasted so freaking sweet I thought for sure it was real sugar. It’s crazy how fast your taste buds can change! I also have heard the idea that artificial sweeteners can trigger an insulin response because the brain thinks its sugar and sends in the “reinforcements”. I believe that was on one of dr. Fungs YouTube videos… ? Anyways, I think they’re great to get you into ketosis and away from sugar, but I think they’re definitely something to use sparingly after you become more accustomed to this WOE.

(Susan) #15

I haven’t had any since the beginning of June and I don’t want to; ever, if possible. I am only interested in buying just a couple drinks that have none, just because I don’t like drinking the hospital water was all =).

Actually I would try Rebel ice cream for a special treat if it ever came to Canada -if it was my birthday or something.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

My inner Scotsman refuses to buy anything but the cheapest supermarket Seltzer water.

You might check out the cost of investing in a soda syphon. This is a bar-top unit that has a reservoir of plain water, charged from a cartridge of CO2. The main advantage would be the control it gives you over the flavour of the water.

(Joey) #17

I tried to find info on Hint’s website as to what is actually IN their drinks. Best I could find was: “Hint’s water brands are all infused with delicious hint fruit essences and are available in still, sparkling and caffeinated still varieties.”

So if it includes something, why won’t they provide nutritional/ingredients?

Their pitch is that they’re better than the competition because of what they do not include. So why do they make it so to figure out what they DO include?

For a product intended for ingredient-savvy consumers, they’ve missed the mark.

Perhaps the nutritional info is available somewhere, but I gave up trying.

(Susan) #18

I love water at home though =). I only don’t like bottled water or water at the hospital. The bottle of no-name lemon flavoured with no artificial sweetener no name Perrier for 99Cents from Walmart was pretty nice, so I might just buy 2 of them to have for then =)).

(Susan) #19

Yes, Joey that is very odd. They are very expensive here, we can order from Amazon.ca but the price is outrageous.

(Wendy) #20

Susan, you may find the hospital water is quite good. Ours is filtered or something and I always was able to get iced water when I’ve spent time in there. Can you buy bottled water for those days? I am spoiled and our tap water is not very healthful where I live so I have brought water every where I go.