First week on Keto with no weight loss

Hi All,
I’m 9 days in on Keto and weighed myself this morning and I have lost ZERO! Extremely frustrated and discouraged. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Unless it is possible water weight? Anyone been in the same boat when starting Keto?

(Sheri Knauer) #2

Everyone is different. Some people can lose a lot in the first few weeks, which is water weight. That can depend on what your diet was before starting keto. Hormones and underlying metabolic issues affect weight loss. What does a typical day of eating look for you? Are you keeping your total carbs below 20g? Are you eating enough fat? Are you eating adequate protein without eating too much of it? What is your starting weight? There are so many reasons, plus the fact that this is only day 9 for you. Trust the process. Keep calm and keto on. If you want some help with your diet, give us as much info as possible such as height, weight, goal weight, what you eat on a daily basis, etc.

(bulkbiker) #3

What is your Why?
Why are you following a ketogenic way of eating?
Do you feel better? less bloating indigestion? These are all positives too… not just weight loss.

Hi Sheri,
I’ve been keeping my total carbs between 25-30. On a typical day for snacks I will eat string cheese, hard boiled eggs, turkey jerky, pistachios, avocados. Yogurt for breakfast with a cup of coffee, sliced turkey for lunch, or a hot dog no bun, usually grilled chicken salad or an omelette for dinner. My calorie intake has been between 1250-1350 per day. I’m concerned that my salt intake is too high and that might be why I’m not losing.

I’m 5ft 7.5in and weigh 208.
My goal weight is 175.

(Nathan Toben) #5

keep your eyes on the long view. that happened to me too, it’s been 5 weeks and i haven’t lost much but i’ve gained muscle and endurance and my tightest belt loop is loose.

It is usually best to eat meals and not snack. Everytime you eat you release insulin and you want to try to do that as little as possible. Make sure you are eating enough when you sit down to have a meal and try to cut out the snacking. You may also need to eat more food. 1200 calories is pretty low…your body may be holding in to the fat thinking it is starving. It takes time. Just eat right and your body will heal and eventually drop the excess fat :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Since it’s early days, yet, you probably don’t need to do much except give the process time. Weight loss is different for everyone, and if you’re a woman, hormones have a lot to say about the process.

From the numbers you supplied, I’ll only add that you might consider cutting your carbohydrate intake to get down under 20 g/day. This is virtually guaranteed to put you in ketosis, unless you are extremely insulin-resistant. Next, keep an eye on your protein intake. It should be keyed to your lean body mass, somewhere around 1.0 g/kg. (Remember that meat is not 100% protein, so this is actually more meat than it might seem). Recommendations for how much protein to eat range from 0.8 g/kg to 2.0 g/kg, so you have some room to play around in. Eat what works for you.

The rest is eating fat to satiety. Fat is not a magical weight-loss substance, so don’t go bonkers, just remember that it is a safe source of calories, since it stimulates insulin secretion a lot less than either protein or carbohydrate. It is also very flavorful and satisfying, to say nothing of its health benefits.

Since the body is reluctant to part with excess stored fat unless it is assured of an adequate supply of energy, the easiest way to make sure you’re giving your body enough is to eat enough fat (paradoxical as it may seem) to satisfy you, so that you can go between meals without needing to snack. Your appetite will guide you to the right caloric intake.

(Davis Smith ) #8

You gained muscle and endurance???

wow, its amazing how different keto is for everyone…I feel like my muscles are getting smaller, and my HIIT is not like it was before.

(Nathan Toben) #9

i’d lay off the HIIT for a couple months. go long and slow ftw.