First try at a 72 hours fast!

fasting

(Tom Seest) #4

I look back at my first fast that was 46 hours, and I smile now. Back then, I was worried about going hypoglycemic. My blood glucose this morning was 57. It’s funny how time changes us, and we become more comfortable with fasting.

I believe Jimmy Moore refers to this as improving our “fasting muscles”. It really is a steady progression of learning, which is why I find it so fascinating and so attractive. There are so very few areas of our lives where we can learn so much by doing nothing.

(Francis Lessard) #5

Great insights Tom ! There is soooo much to learn in nutrition. It amaze me. As to learning by doing nothing, it’s pretty much like meditation i guess. The emptyness fills you with great rewards.

I was just listening to the podcast with Megan Ramos while driving to work this morning. I recall that I laugh when improving our “fasting muscles” was brough up. I will aim for 72h but still allow me to “baby steps” my way up there :slight_smile:

Thanks for your support !

i am here for you brother. When the craving hit slam water… that doesnt work go black coffee… that doesnt work apple cider vinager.

Stay busy. First time is the hardest. You basically train your body for this and then its not bad. In fact its pretty incredible. HGH and adrenaline production go through the roof.

Tell yourself your not hungry… you just want to eat.

Sleeping is going to be crazy hard. There are tricks though. First night you should be ok.

(Francis Lessard) #7

Hey David

I actually worked since 5h30 am this moring. Still have a few thing to do at work. Had a 30 min walk downtown. The only “bad” symptom was the fuzz in my esophagus. Typical when I got to this point in fasting time… It already when away ! Will visit ex-girlfriend at the hospital later… I’m scheduled wall to wall until bedtime :slight_smile:

Plenty of water in my jug and will power to go through it. This time will be the one.

Thanks for the tips !

you sound motivated.

I actually get kind of bummed when i have to end my fast because of the effects it has. You can feel things you couldnt before. Very strange. I tell people the force is strong with me today LOL. I play a sport that is highly feel oriented.

I would love to talk to a musician who fasts. I can see it being a major benefit.

Keto is awesome no doubt. Fasting takes you to a different level. You get into this zen mode after a while

(Francis Lessard) #9

Motivated I am !

Will get back to this thread to report my experience… It might even bring me back to my old guitar ?!

(Francis Lessard) #10

Allright !

36 hours into fasting…

I’ll try to describe how I feel in addition to weird symptoms I experienced so far.

So I went to bed at 10:30 PM - Glucose was 5.0. Ketones were 0.6 (blood mesured)

I had severe cramps in my foot extremities as soon as I went to bed. Probably due to my Diabetic Neuropathy. (see : Diabetic Neuropathy forum post) The symptoms were far worst than usual. I also had a quick cramp in the top-left part of my belly, just below my rib cage. I was sooo tired then that I just passed by this, holding my feet a few minutes in my hand.

I note that I did climbed 44 floors and had 8900 steps yesterday (unusual for me in winter) I also worked for 12 hours in front of a computer.

I sleept for 8 hours straight (1 quick bathroom trip to urinate). Fitbit reported a pretty good sleep.

This morning I feel like a hangover in my head. Heavyness. My feet hurts but no cramps. The pain spot below my rib cage to the left is still a tidy bit present. It feels a bit like before losing weight, when I standed up for several hours, the cramp pain at the same place. (diagnosed to be the Non Alcoolic Fatty Liver Disease) did not have this pain since my weight lost last year.

I dont yet feel explosive or supercharged. I had my usual coffee. 300ml of water. I put a teaspoon of salt in a small glass of water + a pinch of Myo to chug down the hardcore salty mixture. I felt like throwing for 30 mins but it’s gone now. I also had 2 Tylenol. About 1 hour after getting up, my fasting glucose is 7.0 (!!) and Ketones are at 0.4 (!!). My numbers are quite the opposite as I expected.

I don’t imply fasting causality with all symptoms and results. But I still continue and log everything.

Time to work now…

(Francis Lessard) #11

I’m puzzled… I’m at 44 hours fasting. It’s going good, but still feel my head heavy…

My Ketones are at now 0.3 (lower than this morning) What could explain this ?

:confused:

What was your baseline before fasting? Were you in ketosis? Were you in fat adapted mode?

(Francis Lessard) #13

My baseline Ketones would oscillate between 0.6 and 1.5 peak… I don’t test them too often because of the cost… I eat always under 20g net carb since april 2016. (with the exeptions of a few weekends during that period)

EDIT: my Glucose is back to 5.2 though

Do you take electrolytes when you fast? They are super important and could help with the headaches too. For me, magnesium is always the answer for cramps and restless legs. It also helps with headaches as does salt. Check out @brenda’s ketoaide recipe here…

and maybe run a search on the forum for electrolytes. Good luck with your ongoing efforts. Sounds like you are doing great.

(Francis Lessard) #15

Thanks @Daisy

My son actually reminded me of electrolytes. I just had a teaspoon of salt in water to help me a bit (was getting dizzy this afternoon). I’ll look at Brenda’s KetoAide for tonight.

I do have magnesium in pills here. Do you recommend them at night before bedtime ?

I’m not giving up…

I take malate at night and find it helps me get to sleep. I certainly would if you have been getting cramps. It is a great calmer, magnesium. Salt is important for holding onto potassium too I believe - I seem to remember Megan Ramos talking about this. Just be careful with the salt when fasting as it can make you throw up if you hit your stomach with too much at once. I get dreadful restless legs and have found mag great for that. Keep us posted. You are going great guns.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #17

@Francis_Lessard

Keep putting a teaspoon into a glass of water. Do it more than once per day.
The ketogenic diet is very diuretic and will flush the sodium right back out. You need to replenish.
Keep a glass of salt water next to the bed in case you wake up with cramps.

This happened to me my first summer ketogenic.
Worst night ever.

One week in and bloated
(Francis Lessard) #18

@Brenda

It worked perfectly this afternoon ! After taking the salt I was feeling better. I also went to the drug store and bought some CAL-K pills… I should have read your KetoAide provided by @Daisy, i would have saved $$$

For my feet, I will take magnesium tonight and maybe a cold feet bath with Epsom Salts as suggested by @richard in the neuropathic thread…

I will pay more attention to my electrolytes from now :slight_smile:

Thanks !

(Patty W) #19

Congratulations on your first 72 hr fast!

I’m doing my 3rd extended fast now (72 hrs as of this afternoon). My first was 7 1/2 days, & my second was an “accidental” 72 hr fast due to a busy work week. I agree with what folks say about developing your fasting muscles, it does seem to get easier, in part because you know what to expect & realize our bodies are much stronger/flexible than we may have given them credit for.

I had significant leg cramp issues the first time, so this time I decided to try the Keto-Aid recipe (water with added potassium, magnesium, & salt). I have been pleasantly surprised at how effective it has been, nary a cramp this time, even without taking other vitamins/Mag supplement pills that I usually take. I also have not had any of the headaches I got from low sodium before. Good mental & physical energy as well.

You’ll eventually find the tips that work well for you, & then you too can experience your own Keto Super Powers :slight_smile:

Good luck!

(Patty W) #20

While I’m not a professional musician, I have been playing music (piano) during my fast this week.
During my fast I do have some coffee with HWC in the mornings, & I have noticed a difference when I practice caffeinated or not (even while not fasting).

However, in Day 2 & Day 3 of my fast, I have seemed to notice some improvement in my skills. I feel I have more attention & focus. Musical passages that are a bit of a slog seem to come a little faster & easier. Playing faster or more demanding passages seems easier. While learning music by ear or from memory, it seems to click a little easier, & I had more creative/inspired ideas than usual.

Can’t say that it was a definitive scientific experiment, but it felt like there was something positive to it.
I do know that I have been more focused & productive the last two nights with other tasks requiring attention (quilting & organizing office papers); both nights I looked at the clock, realized it was midnight, so I should go to bed :slight_smile: I felt “in the zone”.

We could ask Carl F his experiences re: music & fasting (?)

(Francis Lessard) #21

Woot Woot !!!

I did it ! What an amazing experience !

I had ups and downs. Learned the hard way not to do it like a cowboy gun blazing. I should have done my homeworks better before starting it. Thank god I had support from you guys. @Daisy’s advice on magnesium helped a lot. @tdseest, @davidvincent early encouragement were much needed and I can’t thank you enough. You were right : this feels like a revelation. The power of our body, the strengh we all have. Mind opening ! The feeling during the third day was incredible. I felt just like superman.

Looking forward to try again in a few weeks and hopefully meet you in person at Ketofest.

I’ll be there.

Well done. x

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #23

Congratulations on your fast! :+1: