First time cheat

(Jo) #1

I’ve done keto for 10 weeks. Never ever strayed,… until yesterday. I had cappuccino with Heavy Cream at Starbucks, twice. According to their website this concoction as 12 carbs each. (I have written to them to confirm that because it seems very high, it’s the same amount as with whole milk, so this may actually have been lower). But let’s assume that that was 24 carbs right there. Then I had a haagen dazs 100 gram container of caramel icecream, another 24 carbs. So that’s almost 50 carbs not counting meals. In total i can easily have consumed about 70 grams of carbs total. (and that’s net, not total).

So I tested my ketones this morning. I was at 1.3 mmol. I was totally amazed. My BG was at the higher end for me but not excessive. Not expected that result. I thought I would have been kicked out of ketosis for sure. My weight was up by 3 lbs. What?

The effect I am noticing though is that I am much hungrier today than yesterday. I satisfied that with a hearty keto breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon and cheese. I’m sure the weight will come off again, and I am fully recommitted to not cheat. Not worth it. The icecream tasted way too sweet.

(TJ Borden) #2

So after 10 weeks, you had a day of indulgence that was still under 100 grams?

Yeah, you’re worrying over nothing. My wife was gone for a weekend last month and when she’s gone I revert back to “bachelor in his 20’s” mode. In a moment of weakness I ordered a large stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut. In an even bigger…and longer moment of weakness, I ate the whole damn thing. I didn’t even look up how many carbs that was, because I didn’t want to know. I know I felt hung over the next day, but I also know even that only added a few pounds of water weight that was all back off within a few days.

My point is, THATS HOW YOU CHEAT. Some whole milk instead of HWC and a few bites of ice cream? You’re all good. KCKO

(Mandy) #3

:joy: :rofl:

(John) #4

I have no problem with some carbs from time to time myself, but as soon as I have some (more than just the small amounts in keto food) I crave more and more of it. You did good not going all out.

I actually had Chinese on Saturday with the wife for the first time in 2 years, and like all of my other big cheats I packed on 5 pounds, knee is swollen after exercise and hungry. This always lasts 4 days for me and then a whoosh comes and all of that weight is gone and I feel fine again.

(Rob) #5

#guyweekend
I’m going to print this off and have it laminated.
Outside of wincing at the word cheat, I thought this was pretty good advice.

(TJ Borden) #6

Yeah, I’m not a fan of it either, but I still find myself saying it.

(Ken) #7

That’s a pretty minor carb intake. After ten weeks, you could probably throw in a whole day of carbs. You just flip your fat and carb macros, and see what the metabolic benefits are. For a day, there is no possibility of lipogenesis, but you’ll flux some water.