First Fast

(Andrew Anderson) #1

I have accidentally done many 24 hour fasts. This will be the first time I will try to try on this tool beyond one day. I will allow black coffee in the morning, and my salty bone broth if needed.
I have not set a time limit, I plan on just feeling it out. I don’t plan on telling anyone for fear of the possible freak out. I am worried well meaning people will share their unsolicited concerns.
I think I have been to chicken to try it. My toes have been on the edge of the fasting diving board to long, jumping now!

(James storie) #2

Sounds like you’re ready! Good luck!

I’m like you, afraid of… I don’t know what! So I will follow your progress here if you keep us up to date. :slight_smile:

(Andrew Anderson) #4

33.5 hours in! I mowed my lawn today, that’s a brisk 4 mile walk, and felt great. I had coffee and a bit of bone broth. I have learned that food is definitely hand to mouth reflex for me. I was making a toasted cheesy sandwich for my wife and almost ate cheese crumbs out of habit, not to mention nearly licking butter off my fingers! Fun day, excited to see how tomorrow goes.

(Andrew Anderson) #5

53 hours felt right. I broke with some cheese. I appreciate all the advice I have read on these forums that supported my first leap. This is a fun tool. I never felt hungry but my hands and toes felt cold this afternoon. It seemed like a good time to stop, I exceeded my expectations. I look forward to pushing further next time. Thanks everyone!

(Andrew Anderson) #6

So strange. I felt better on my fast than I do right now. Great macros, real food, happy fats… feeling blah. Anyone else felt a let down after eating post fast? Looking forward to another fast!

(James storie) #7

Yep, I always feel that way after a fast! Then I really enjoy eating until next time when I really miss food the entire first day! :laughing:

(What The Fast?!) #8

I just finished my first long fast too and feel not awesome too! I think part of it is your body got a nice break from all that digesting, and now it has to go back to work!

(James storie) #9

Yeah, I think that has a lot to do with it. I’ll probably end my fast in the morning at around 62 hours, I’m dreaming of a venti heavy cream latte! With around 2 cups of cream, I think that counts as a meal! Plus I’ve gone without coffee on this fast, so I’m looking forward to it!

(What The Fast?!) #10

Ummm…yes. Definitely. TWO CUPS?! Quick math…16 tbsp in a cup…32 oz x 50 cal = 1600 calories, 180ish grams of fat…I’d definitely call that a meal! That’s what I call feasting, my friend.

(Andrew Anderson) #11

Mmmmm i recently had a flat white/extra shot with heavy cream. Cream sounds like a great fast breaker!

(James storie) #12

It is the first time I had one I almost died! It is so rich! You have to watch them like a hawk and make sure they use the heavy whipping cream and not half n half! :smile:

(James storie) #13

64 hrs officially! Broken with the latte I’ve been dreaming of! Getting ready to have a burger feast in a bit!

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

Great first time fast. I agree, I felt better fasting than when I restarted eating.
A bit of keto aide helps a lot with the cold hands and feet. Brenda Zorn has posted a good one several times, just do a search on it.

Enjoy working your fasting muscles :).

(Brian Phillips) #15

About 18hrs into my first 24hr+ fast. My first attempt a few weeks ago was only about 11hrs long but hey, gotta start somewhere!

Just been drinking coffee and water. Will probably have a swab of butter when I get home for ‘dinner’.

First thing I’m noticing is I’m not really hungry but about an hour ago I felt ridiculously sleepy. Couldn’t keep my eyes open and this isn’t good as I’m at work! Not sure if my bodies conserving energy while it’s realising I’m not about to feed it any time soon or whether it’s just lack of sleep from the past two nights.

Anyway, just got up for a walk and another coffee and feel a bit better now. Will probably have a little skate when I get home and see if I can go the full 24hrs or more. Really hope I can get past tonight because once I’m sleeping that’s another 7-8hrs done!

Not really thinking about or craving food. Guess that means I’m a converted fat burner? Also listening to music to help keep my mind on other things.

Good luck to anyone else going through the same thing.

(Andrew Anderson) #16

Great work folks! I am 22 hours in now. I like having a nice Sunday lunch and then start a fast. For me everything over 24 is a nice bonus and I will not be disappointed if I break it. Yesterday and 10hrs fasted I ran 3.5 miles . But I can’t believe I can move on purpose like that! I may break at 48hours tomorrow for a business lunch, love a free meal!

(Brian Phillips) #17

Broke my fast after just over 30hrs. Couldn’t really go any further. I wasn’t hungry at all but the problem is I was extremely tired (foggy brain) and got to the point where I couldn’t sleep so had to get out of bed and eat something.

Had some smoked cheese and a yoghurt. Didn’t feel satisfied as in “Oh that was so tasty” but felt more relieved to stop my brain from hurting and being so tired. Within a few minutes I was ok but couldn’t really go back to sleep that easily. Normally I don’t have a problem with sleep.

Prior to this situation I did as I said earlier and when I got home from work, had a tiny bit of butter then went skating for 30 mins. Felt absolutely fine.

This was the only solids I had in 30hrs and throughout just drank water, coffer and a little bit of brandy!

I’d love to do a longer fast so anyone have any ideas on what I can do to prevent the brain fog, tiredness and headaches? Like I said, I didn’t feel hungry at all so that part wasn’t a problem.

Cheers

(Andrew Anderson) #18

I add salt to green tea or to water. It seems to help. In my own personal opinion a bit of bone broth can help push. I’ve not been beyond 53hrs. I figure keep trying! When you feel bad eat and start over!

(James storie) #19

It may be that you aren’t fully fat adapted yet. Take baby steps! :laughing: