First extended fast - support?

Hi. I recently turned 30, and I weigh approximately 175lbs. I’ve followed a ketogenic diet and lost about 60 lbs in the past 16 months. I’ve been doing IF for the past couple of months and have been strictly OMAD for the past 2 weeks. I love it. It is aiding with the weight loss I’ve never been able to achieve, and it’s helping with my depression a lot more than I anticipated.

I just started my first water fast, but I was wondering if anyone else is starting out too. I could use some support. Obviously, nobody in my life would support this idea. I know I can master this whole concept of fasting. The first step is just slightly frightening.

I am going to start out with 48 hours, then try 72 next week, and eventually 5, 7, 10 days at a time so I can benefit from autophagy. But my focus right now is getting through the next 48 hours. To be honest, the hardest part for me is the sad idea that I wont have any peanut butter tomorrow.

(Dan Dan) #2

Join us for the ZornFast :smiley:

(Jerrett Scott) #3

Holly, The problem I have with starting a fast is usually my own head, T.V. Commercials, family and friends are next. If you can make it 30 minutes, count it as a victory and move to the next 30, until it gets easier, then hours, and finally days will become second nature. But look around this forum for the keto-aide recipes and more advice. I’m still pretty new too. But I know you can do it!!!

(Bonnie Low) #4

Hopefully you’ve read some good resources, like The Complete Guide to Fasting. One of the things that really stood out to me was learning that fasting is 99% mental. I assumed hunger cravings would be unbearable, but they aren’t. They aren’t continuous. They come and go in waves. I have found this to be absolute truth and I’ve been fasting on and off for about 4 or 5 months now. My longest is about 80 hours. So when a hunger pang strikes (most common in the first 48 hours), drink some liquid. The liquid in your belly staves off the hunger pangs.Or do something to take your mind off it. Going for a walk is a great distraction! Personally, I plan out my first 2 days to keep myself really busy. Shopping is a great diversion! Not only are you preoccupying yourself so you’re not thinking about food, you’re also already losing water weight so clothes fit better and it’s fun to try them on. Or I do something really physical like gardening or even pulling up carpets and re-painting a room! No time to think about being hungry. If you can overcome the first two days, it becomes MUCH easier. Your body is burning your fat for fuel so it doesn’t need to send you hunger pang signals any more. Good luck!

(Candy Lind) #5

Zorn Fast is a GREAT help and there are people who go just 24 hours up to those doing longer extended fasts who just “slide in” and ride along for the weekend, then continue on to whatever monumental number of days they have planned.

I’ve done 72 before, then made it only 36 the next time. We’ll see how far I get this time. They say there is a “fasting muscle” you have to develop so mine must be as weak as my abs! :wink:

Thanks!! All of your words have helped me more than you know. I’ll check out the Zorn fast section now. Hope yall have a good weekend.

(linda) #7

A good mindset helps me! I try and look at this as a healing time and be self compassionate with my activities - sauna, bath, meditation, rest, read, and drinking lots of distilled water and get as much sun as possible. Editing out negative news, bad tv and focus on nature walks, stretching, reading inspiring literature and listening to relaxing music. It may sound hokey but being kind to ourselves with these things helps detach from the misconception that food is a destination and for me at least helps to reset my relationship with food so it’s more neutral.

This makes so much sense to me. What a great experience. I just got through 48 hours without any issue. Felt empowered by NOT being ruled by food and hunger! It WAS also helpful to cut out all the political news and negativity from other sources and just go for long walks in nature with my dogs or sit in a hot shower. Probably going to go for 3-5 day fast starting Monday.