First extended fast. Supplements and weight gain afterwards?

(Mark Anderson) #1

Hi All

Done a few 3-day fasts. On day 7 of my 7-day fast. Feeling great, still doing my regular workouts. Taking a multi-vitamin and salt with plenty of water every day, plus 80z of ossogood bone broth. Dropped 12lbs so far (6 full days). Still have 80lbs to go.

I’m thinking about continuing for another week, or a full month if I still feel good.

2 questions:
what “supplements” does everyone take during IF?
Will I gain back any of the lost weight after the fast, if I stick to Keto?

TIA

MArk

The accepted knowledge (via Dr Fung) is that yes, you will gain some of the fasting weight back and that on average you will likely drop .5 lb of fat during fasting.

My suggestion is not to fixate on the # of lbs and/or the scale!

(Robert C) #3

For multi-day fasts I would really listen to @avocadosrule’s advice - think of some weight per day vs. a scale number.

Of course a 6 foot 4 inch person will lose much faster than a sub-5 food person so maybe it is .3 lb a day or maybe .7 lb a day. After you’ve burned away everything else - it is essentially your caloric needs in fat per day.

The important thing to keep in mind is that you have probably lost 2 to 4 lbs of fat.
I know it is upsetting - that 12 lbs number feels like maybe an 80 pound loss is just 6 or 7 weeks away.

But really, on continual fasting it is probably more like 16 to 38 weeks away (with slightly higher fat lost per day at the beginning than near the end).

Keep this firmly planted in your head or you’ll start to get a “throw in the towel” feeling on your refeed.