First extended fast- hella confused

Yup, if you do it over time, chances are it will get better!

AR

(Jeannie Oliver) #22

Ugh. I also ended my fast today at 3 p.m.–27 hours short of my goal. After a good sound sleep I awoke today feeling weak and wobbly. I had my usual morning tea with cream, ate a bit of salt, took magnesium and potassium supplements, and drank a lot of lemon water, but none of that seemed to help. I will continue my routine of IF (16 to 20 hours) daily, with possibly a weekly 36 hour fast, and try a longer fast again in a month or so.

Thanks, I’ll see if I can try that for next time.

The past two days I have just felt like garbage. Has anyone experienced this following an extended fast? Super low energy, feel exhausted. I’ve been monitoring water and electrolyte intake, cant figure out why I feel so poorly?

(Stephanie Sablich) #24

I’m impressed with your ability to reframe this whole experience into progress and a learning experience. It is so hard to do! I always remind myself that I’m combatting literally hundreds of months of unhealthy eating patterns, in addition to the physical and psychological aspects of bodies. Be kind to yourself :slight_smile: This is an AWESOME start.

(Mike Glasbrener) #25

Congrats on joining keto and feeling better, You’ve been doing keto for about 6 weeks or so right? You’re probably not fully fat adapted yet. Depending on how “carby” you were before keto will affect how long it’ll take to get “fully fat adapted”. Many people experience rapid weight loss if their diet was particularly bad. This is inflammation “water weight” loss. Then they’ll experience PISS, post induction stall syndrome. You’re fueling your body primarily with fat and the glycogen stores in your body are low. However, your body is still building a fat metabolism engine. The result is weight loss stalls. However, there are very real changes that still occur at this time that are markers of metabolic improvement. Hunger between meals should become less. The ability to occasionally/always skip breakfast will become easier, etc… Jumping into a 4 day fast seems aggressive like you’re trying to force immediate results. Keto is a lifestyle not a quick fix. Since it sounds like you don’t have any severe health defects I would take it slow and give your body time to adapt to the changes. Fasting will become easier over time. WRT feeling drained I would add salt, potassium:and continue to eat healthy fats if you’re feeling hungry. Don’t restrict food.

Hey Mike, this was a really helpful post. I think I had just assumed I was fat adapted, since I have enjoyed the added energy and reduced cravings, but I can actually see what you’re talking about. It will take me time to become more efficient at burning fat for energy and for my body to adjust. The past few days I’ve noticed I’m fitting my jeans much better, and I’ve taken a break from weighing myself obsessively to just figure it out based on how my body feels and adapts.
Thanks again for your response!

Thanks so much! I really enjoy how keto takes a lot of the preoccupation out of food- it limits all the decision making I have to do so I can just listen to my body and eat when hungry. What a welcome change!

I want to try an extended fast too. I have been eating Keto since January 3, 2018. I’ve lost 17 pounds and feel amazing. I have done some IF days of up to 23hours successfully, and think I’d like to try an extended fast. I am not sure whether I have reached fat-adapted as yet, but think the mental part of fasting will be tougher than any sense of hunger (I often am not really hungry when it is mealtime but eat anyway–its a mental hurdle I’m still trying to get over). So, I decided to begin today. I’ve read the thread and will go wherever my body takes me. (I last ate on 3/3/18 at 6pm).

Awesome!! How is it going on your fast? Are you still going?

The first four days of fasting can be a struggle, once beyond the four days things are much easier!

ugh, no… I caved when the husband came home and grilled burgers… I ate one bunless… ended up only going 24 hours… but… I am going to try again… I will start after Thursday night’s dinner and see if I can make it through the weekend…

(Raj Seth) #32

Let’s go! Exercise that fasting muscle!!

ready to give this a go again… I ate dinner tonight at 5:45pm… I am shooting for Wednesday before I eat… I am ready to succeed and more than ready to bust my stall wide open…

Awesome! You got this!!