First day

(Andrew Hilts) #1

Good evening,
Today was my first full 24 hours. I did some research and asked some questions and just want any advice/pointers from the vets. Long story short, I’m 26, 5’10" and 240lbs and I hate it. I ordered some electrolyte pills and fiber pills today through Amazon (heard that they help). I am moderately/heavy active, 10k steps 4-5 days a week. Morning cardio/high reps low weight lifting almost every morning. After work I do a 1 1/2 mile run every other day-ish. Any tweaks,tips and pointers would be awesome. Thank you
-Andrew

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Welcome! Keeping your carbohydrate low is most of a well-formulated ketogenic diet. Protein should be reasonable, but there is a fair amount of leeway there. Let fat replace the calories you are no longer getting from carbohydrate. Eat to satisfy your hunger.

You may find your athletic performance suffering for the first couple of months. This is perfectly normal. We enter ketosis very quickly after cutting carbohydrate, but it takes a while for our bodies to shift over to efficiently metabolizing fat. Once this process is complete, your performance will return, and may even be better than before. In the meantime, take it easy on yourself.

That sounds like enough to be getting on with. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you’re doing.

(Andrew Hilts) #3

Thank you and I will update this thread as time progresses. Keeping carbs low is going to be so hard. Wife just had some carne asada fries next to me and as she does that an olive garden endless pasta commercial airs :frowning: . My will power is strong :muscle:

The first couple of months can be the toughest for carb cravings but many find that keto food is so good that the cravings disappear :slightly_smiling_face: Best of luck to you.

(Andrew Hilts) #5

Other then my Google search for how many carbs are in olive garden bread sticks and cheddar bay biscuits, I think I can resist the urge. Sugar is going to be the demon, I love carrot cake :expressionless:.

(Laurie) #6

Hi Andrew, and welcome! Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Please feel free to ask questions any time.

There are recipes floating around for low carb versions if you need them to get you through for a while but I’ll be honest - they’re never going to be great & for many people they just keep the need for sweet things alive :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually it isn’t all that hard.

Once you start burning fat for fuel and you eat to satiety you simply won’t be hungry. So you don’t really need superhuman will power.

With carbs we were never really satisfied, there’s that special signal when you we eat enough fat and protein which says “and finally I have what I need, you can stop eating now”.

As you get keto-adapted your appetite will change and so will your taste.

Keep going forward.

(Scott) #9

After a while you get good at this after going off carbs. You feel good and lose weight all while not feeling hungry. You can place fries, bread and chips on the table in front of me but I won’t touch them.

(Carl Keller) #10

Hello and welcome Andrew.

I just want to say that’s it debatable that we need as much fiber when eating ketogenically. Fiber certainly helps in a high carb diet since soluble fiber reduces carbohydrate absorption, which in turn reduces blood glucose and insulin levels(Jason Fung). Processed foods like flour, for example, has such fine particles that they are rapidly absorbed by our body and fiber slows this down. Since we should be eating whole, unprocessed foods, this need isn’t as great.

However, fiber can feed some of the good bacteria in our gut as well as aid in bowel movements but you can likely get ample amounts simply by including real foods in your diet like:

spinach, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and mushrooms, just to mention a few.

Bottom line is, I don’t think you should feel so burdened to try to eat as much fiber as the RDA suggests, if you are eating low carb.