First cheat, mixed feelings

I have been very strict since June 18. Down about 23lbs. I haven’t lost much weight this week due to hormones and had a tough week in general. I was hungry all day yesterday (very rare for me now) and ate a lot more than I usually do, and had a breve latte (whoch I never have). Just listened to the 2ketodudes podcasts with Megan Ramos and the one about metabolic rate, so maybe that was a good thing overall! haha. My 17 year old has been begging me to teach him to bake so we made one of my grandmother’s red velvet cake recipes today. I had some of the crumbs leftover from leveling the layers, and I had a sliver of the fully assembled and frosted cake. Maybe half to 3/4 of a cupcake’s worth of actual cake. And it wasn’t long after a good, fatty dinner of carnitas in lettuce wraps.

This isn’t the end of the world, I know. And I am definitely fat adapted, so I am hoping this doesn’t cause me any ill effects or anything. But it blows my mind how quickly I could have sat down and eaten a whole huge piece. I was mindful and didn’t go totally off the rails or anything, but was definitely close. I am just feeling blah and I guess I just needed to confess in a way so I could let it go and move forward. Thanks for letting me vent. :heart:

Back at it tomorrow! Keep calm and keto on!!

(Wendy) #2

Everyone handles this differently. I cheated today too but it was my first granddaughters 2nd birthday and I choose to have a bit of her b-day cake. I’ve been doing keto for 7 months and I know I will go back to my keto way of eating, but I also realize I will probably be fighting my sweet tooth for a few days. Was it worth it? Maybe, maybe not but life is full of opportunities to slip and opportunities for redemption. We just keep going the best we can.

Thinking of this as the keto WOE keeps me from going off the rails when I have a tiny cheat. Had one today w/ a piece of fried chicken (thigh). It tasted pretty good but then my stomach started feeling not so well. Decided to go for a walk (just shy of 30 min) and felt better.

If you think of keto as a long game, then having a minor slip up (or even a major one) every now and then isn’t as big a deal as we might think. Just get back on that horse named Keto…

As the ladies mention above, it happens, and it may not be the last? … Whether you want to call it a slip, cheat, etc. Or you just decided to eat something one night, that isn’t as Keto Friendly. The main thing is, you know how to get back, so don’t kick yourself for it. - It’s not like once you go Keto and cheat, there’s no coming back after something like this. … If like others have said, it makes you feel bad, you’ll probably not be doing it for a while. But hopefully it doesn’t, but still don’t sweat it. :slight_smile:

Well. considering you came clean with us on your own accord, then no further action shall proceed against you. But you will remain on probation until tonight at midnight. :clock12: LOL.
Don’t be so hard on yourself. We are not perfect.

@dead-fred :joy:

Thanks, guys! I am feeling a bit better as time has passed. This whole experience has been amazing, and I have learned so much about my relationship with food in general. There was no way I could tell my son I wouldn’t try his cake, and there will be more things like that, too. Keeping an eye on the bigger picture helps.