Fettuccine all'amatriciana

tomato
guanciale
amatriciana
fettuccine
romano

Ok, warning. When you make the tomato sauce for this recipe, and if you have any left over, throw it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Seriously. It’s so good, you will want to eat it all with a spoon. Be careful.

The ingredients are simple: guanciale, small hot pepper, black pepper, white wine, two eggs, canned tomatoes, Pecorino Romano cheese

First start with slicing a couple strips of guanciale. Or as substitute, use cured pork fat or pork belly

Cut the guanciale into dice, and put in pan to start rendering it and crisping it

While guanciale is rendering, grate the Pecorino Romano. Or substitute with parmigiano reggiano, grana padano, Asiago or Parmesan cheese

Open your can of tomatoes. If possible get canned san Marzano tomatoes. But don’t worry if you don’t have that. Any other tomato would do too. You can also use fresh chopped tomatoes, too

But, warning. Tomatoes can be high carb. So, don’t overdo it with eating the sauce!

Get the can open to be ready for when the guanciale is finished rendering and crisping

Add tomatoes to the fried guanciale

Press down on the tomatoes to purée them

Crush the dried hot pepper into flakes

Add dried pepper flakes, ground black pepper and a bit of white wine to the sauce. Let sauce continue to cook away

Crack two eggs, and scramble. Add a couple tablespoons of water to make the mixture easier to pour

Add lard to a pan and get it nice and hot

Make very thin omelettes, and roll them up. Make as many omelettes as you can until egg mixture is consumed

Slice the rolled omelettes to make fettuccine

When your fettuccine are done, set them aside. Cook the tomato sauce until you get the desired consistency. This will vary depending on quality of canned tomatoes.

When desired sauce consistency is achieved, add a bit of sauce to the sae pan you made the omelettes. Crank up the heat and get the sauce very hot

Add the fettuccine

Toss to coat the fettuccine egg noodles

Transfer fettuccine to a plate. Add a bit more sauce on top if desired

Top with loads of grated Pecorino Romano cheese

The perfect bite: fettuccine coated with delicious, fatty tomato sauce, with chunks of caramelized guanciale and a dusting of Pecorino Romano cheese

What did you Keto today?
(matt ) #2

Fantastic!!

(JennyBelle ) #3

That looks amazing. I just made an Italian pasta dish with spinach and a few tomatoes using Shiritaki fettuccine noodles. Mixed up with heavy whipping cream fresh basil and Italian sausage. I wish I had taken a picture. I could not even finish my plate😋 I shall have to try the egg noodle recipe it looks great and simple to do!