Fermented foods

(Brenda) #68

Kimchi. Sauerkraut. Kombucha. Kefir. Celery. Beets. :broccoli:

(Bunny) #69

Cont… Here is a nice keto friendly article on fermentation and soy? In another post I made

Female hormones and weight loss - by Jade Teta …see also, interesting notes in the commentary section at bottom of that page about “fermented soy -vs- non-fermented soy” by Dr. Robert Timar

I am so excited to see this thread!! I have sauerkraut fermenting and was just getting ready to ferment some beets when I started to panic—is this keto? My gut tells me (ha, ha, see what I did there) that my fermented beets with ginger will be a great addition to my whole foods way of life.

My favourite sauerkraut is made with red cabbage, beetroot and ginger. It looks beautiful, and tastes so fresh, tangy and delicious!

I can’t manage to ferment (have tried cabbage and ginger carrots) without getting mold, even with jars with fermenting lids and fermenting weights (everything submerged in liquid). Definitely had enough salt in the brine. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. : (

I am so sorry you are not having any success fermenting. :cry:

Thank you. I hope someday I can figure it out.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #75

Lacto fermented mayo? I’ve seen it on google. How did that work out? I didn’t think oil would ferment and eggs fermenting at room temperature, that just scares me and I’ve eaten Chinese 1000 year old eggs. They are done by alkalizing. But with bacteria growth I don’t know.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #76

Can you tell me more? Maybe the room temperature was too high or low.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #77

Technically, levain bread is fermented.

I had it on my kitchen counter at room temperature (I usually keep my house pretty cool year-round, since I have a low tolerance for heat). I made sure the cabbage was submerged in plenty of liquid and my brine had enough salt. I did scrunch the cabbage with my hands for a few minutes to get the lactic acid to release and to soften it a bit, which I had read a tip on. I washed my hands first. Maybe I should use rubber gloves next time?

For what it’s worth, I was taught to use a clean heavy implement (like a pestle, or the end of a rolling pin) and thoroughly pound the cabbage until it softens, rather than just scrunching by hand. More juice released, so might help? Also, some folks add the contents of a powdered probiotic capsule to their brine, which is also supposed to get fermentation going quicker and hopefully reduce the chance of mould.

Both great ideas. I don’t have any probiotics on hand at the moment, but that seems like a great way to give good bacteria the edge. I think they even make tools specially for crushing the cabbage, I might invest in one at some point.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #81

So probiotics added to a ferment aren’t necessary. The lactobacillus is present on virtually all vegetables on the skin. Just creating the right environment is all that’s necessary for it to thrive and multiply. Salt, temperature range, anaerobic vessel. You should get the freshest cabbage you can and make it asap.If left out at room temp for a time they start to have mold spores take hold. Most likely killed by the anaerobic environment and salt. But fresher means more juice and less water needed to supplement. I use my hands while salting in a huge mixing bowl and a rolling pin while packing. If your hands are clean it’s o.k.

(Jane) #82

I read where too little salt speeds fermentation and mold can grow.

(Omar) #83

some times the vigitable are crunchy ( not sure what is the right English word ) so

did any one try to boil the vigitables to soften them before fermenting?

I thought I added enough salt, but maybe I need more.

Virus-free.
www.avast.com

(Full Metal KETO AF) #85

You will kill the natural probiotic cultures if you boil or cook veggies so will not work. You can try cutting them finer and a longer fermentation time. Personally I like some crunch, A 3 week minimum fermentation time gives maximum culture growth and if you slice the cabbage fine it should be pretty soft. White cabbage ferments quicker than other varieties.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #86

@atomicspacebunny @Alpha I want to update what I said about killing probiotic cultures when cooking ferments. It’s a true statement but I have recently read an article which made me question the necessity for probiotic cultures to be alive when consumed. The article presented some research showing that dead fragments of probiotic bacteria act like an immunization injection of a dead virus. Your immune system can utilize the fragments to become stronger somehow. I have to try to find it and will post a link. When I cook with fermented veggies say in a stir fry I will cook all the elements of the dish, shut off the heat and mix the fermented vegetables into the food so they are just warmed but cooking with sauerkraut may not destroy all the benefits of probiotic cultures if the research article was correct. I sometimes drink an ounce of the live brine from my ferments so I have it covered on both ends, live and cooked I consume fermented vegetables several times per week.

Edit, here’s a link to an article, I’m not sure if it’s the same one I read before but it essentially says the same thing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20403231/

(Full Metal KETO AF) #87

I also want to post a quick and easy probiotic staple recipe that I always have in my refrigerator.

Paò Caí easy Chinese Fermented Cabbage