Fellow carnivores,do you use seasoning?

I am two weeks into carni diet and its getting little boring taste wise.I only used salt so far,right now I am making chicken liver and in past I alway put alot cumin on it.Do you use spices and seasonings?

I would like to use them,what do you think?

(Pete A) #2

I use salt, crushed black pepper and garlic on all my meat!

(Omar) #3

you carni people are brave :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(TJ Borden) #4

I know there are purests that just use salt only, but I still use pretty much everything in my spice cupboard. I don’t use as much since meat tastes good on its own. It’s not like veggies that have to be drowned in seasonings to make them eatable.

(Chris) #5

Depends. If I’m looking to lose weight, I won’t season. If I am looking to gain weight then I want the food as palateable as possible. This means salt, possibly butter or bacon fat, maybe a low-ingredient (salt, pepper, vinegar) hot sauce (Tabasco?).

I use salt, pepper, herbs and spices, including garlic. Sometimes a pinch of onion powder too.

I try and stick to the proper unprocessed ingredients, but my exception is when I use Pataks pre-prepared curry pastes (which are delicious), or smoked chipotle paste.

I cook for my husband as well, and we both enjoy flavour and variety. I would much rather eat 98-99% carnivore long term, than try for 100% carnivore and burn out from boredom within a few weeks.

My main reason for removing veg from my diet was to avoid gut problems and joint aches. The very small amount of plant products I use don’t seem to cause problems in those areas, so am happy to continue.

(I do find that tomato makes my joints ache, so sadly I have now eliminated even the teasp of tomato paste I was using on ribs)

I have a box full of spice bottles and add them on the fly to every recipe. My common ones are salt, black pepper, smoked paprika (hot or sweet), onion powder, garlic powder. But I also have a number of curry powders, umami powder, chili powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, and various spice mixtures.

About a year or so ago, I ordered a number of spices from The Spice House in Chicago. Opening each bottle and smelling each spice or mix was a wonder. Such aromas!

I only use Himalayan pink salt. I find the taste of my meat and fish is terrific in itself, and I don’t need any further seasoning.

(Tovan Nhsh) #9

I do but honestly, that only translates to salt, butter & cayenne pepper.

(Tovan Nhsh) #10

I get the same reaction from tomato/nightshades.

(@Insulin_Resistant) #11

I LOVE the one at top left (carne asada):

https://www.donsazon.com/products.htm

(Genevieve Biggs) #12

I use seasonings but avoid fresh garlic. I’m makes me go…

ZC 17 months

(Keith) #13

*First post!

I’m 3 weeks in Meat/Eggs only.

I use the same seasoning blend for everything right now.

Turmeric, Curry Powder, Cumin, Black pepper, Pink Himalayan Salt. I shake it all up in a jar, then use as needed.

(Neal) #14

I avoid all seasoning, even salt. Not by choice… migraines have chosen this for me.

(PrimalRhino) #15

Just a few days in to ZC, but once I started keto my seasoning habits changed to mostly Himalayan salt and black pepper, and I’m not cutting the others out completely. I’m going to add a few back one at a time. I agree with a few others, I’m trying to stay 99-100% as long as I can and add small amounts of flavor/spices and see how I react.

Yup. Salt, black pepper, garlic, chili flakes, onion, turmeric, thyme, basil, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, chives and the list goes on. If I’m not avoiding eggs and dairy, I can do without, but otherwise I get sick of meat alone sometimes. I’m fairly new to the carnivore way, though, maybe I won’t need them later on.

(Rosemary Easter) #17

Hi, what do you eat? Do you eat raw meat? What has got better for you apart from gut problems? Am interested as am eating less and less veg because I still now and then get gut pain from eating them but wondered what else may get better. Thanks.

(Lonnie Hedley) #18

I use the seasonings I have left over from carb days. Won’t replace when they’re gone, but I can’t just throw them away.

(Rick Turner) #19

I’ve only been on it for about two weeks, and whether it’s a placebo effect, or the real thing, my joint inflammation seems to be dramatically reduced. Throwing in beginner’s yoga to stretch out and strengthen my core. I have pretty severe back issues, and I believe I’m making some progress for the first time in 10 years.

(Cheyene Burnette) #20

Fresh garlic irritates my #ibs. Also, fruits & veggies are. Hence, why I am removing them from my diet as of tomorrow morning. Had blueberries this morning, and my stomach’s bothering me. Reading up in the carnivore keto lifestyle makes me wanna try semi carnivore. I can’t give up my cheese & coffee, :joy:.