Fell off the wagon, trying to get back on fully

I messed up and don’t know how to get back on! I have been doing the keto since August 2018 and during the holidays I started messing up! I was off and on keto and now I am trying to fully get back on keto but keep messing up at the end of the days with something bad! Any suggestions on how to get back? What is a good way of kicking out those bad food cravings? Should I fast (which I have never fasted before I seem to always fail) or what should I do? I don’t like feeling sluggish now, and I can definitely feel that bloat in my tummy and I am too scared to check my weight…

Get whatever’s bad out of the house so you’re not tempted.

Make sure that you do all the steps from the beginning. You cannot just take up where you left off. So that means you focus on getting in ketosis eating plenty of fats, measuring your carbs, keeping an eye on the protein

do you use the Carb Manager app to keep track of everything?? I need an easy way to track my macros. My daily schedule is so hectic, I need an easy app to help me :confused:

(Cindy) #5

End of the day is my “bad” time, too. More than anything else (if you’re doing fine during the day), you need to work on some plans for the difficult time of day. That might mean making a list of things you’re going to do before you eat something (drink water, journal what you’ve eaten already for the day, do a chore, spend 10 minutes reading ketogenicforum posts, etc). Tell yourself that you have to do a set number of those things BEFORE you eat. Then, if you do, and still want to eat, try your best to have a keto snack available. Bacon, cream cheese and celery, portion out some favorite nuts, etc

It takes breaking some old habits (I know because I still struggle with snacking too much at night), but it is doable!

thank you for this! My struggle is always once I get home after a long day of school/work…I need to keep what you said in mind. It’s good to remember how you feel when you’re on the keto than when you eat badly. I feel extremely tired and sluggish and slow now because of my regular mess ups. Good luck to you! We can do this!

(Running from stupidity) #7

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Don’t worry about the scale. All it tells you is weight, it tells you nothing about body composition, even the “smart” scales.

• Eat plenty of good food - fat and protein - while adhering to 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritize the animal protein (i.e. not protein powder) - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• Buy the meat you can afford - don’t stress about grass-fed, organic (con), etc… The worst meat is better than the best bread.

• Fasting is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:
Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

I’m not a huge fan of keto replacement for carby foods but if you’re finding yourself eating sweets before bed, consider a keto friendly sweet or fat bomb. If it’s a salty, crunchy snack replace it with pork cracklins.

The damage will be less to your overall plan and you may find yourself feeling better as you get back on track, which could make it easier to say no to it altogether after a while.

I think willpower is everything. You really have to believe in what you’re doing and if it’s right for you. Go back to the drawing board and maybe ask yourself if this is really what you want. Stop feeling guilty or self-hating for falling off. Love you, accept all of you. Be happy with yourself. Then figure out what you want and just do it. In the end it’s just you here. It’s all your decision.

you guys are all so incredible. Thank you for your advice I truly appreciate it and will take it into use. <3

(Amanda) #11

I find it helpful to have a set time that I won’t eat after. That way when I am thinking of having a snack, I know I’m not hungry, I know that it is not time to eat.