Fell off the wagon, long run scheduled today

(Tamela Robinette) #1

This isn’t necessarily a question, just a rant/experience. I had a really rough, stressful day at work yesterday. I have been strict keto since January 1, and have lost 17 pounds (I don’t have much to lose) and have only recently begun to feel strong on my runs and workouts. Anyway, my husband said “let’s go bowling and have a beer.” He is practicing keto too, however, he consumes alcohol a few times a week and I have been avoiding it, simply because I’m training for a half and just haven’t wanted any. I gave in to the stress and peer pressure (thanks honey) and had 4 or 5 beers at the bowling alley, Michelob Ultra, which I don’t necessarily agree is better. Then we went to our favorite bar and had more beer. I lost count. We ended the evening at my favorite Thai restaurant and I had spicy pad thai. I ate the whole enormous plate! It was more than enough food for 2 or 3 meals but in my drunken stupor I could not stop eating! I’ve been up all night with an upset tummy (sorry TMI) and I feel like total crap this morning!!! My joints are aching and I feel fatigued. I need to run 10 miles today according to my training plan so I’m hoping another cup of coffee will get me motivated but it isn’t looking good. Uggghhhh. Lesson learned, alcohol, stress and keto are not a good combination. What do you guys do to recover from a keto slip that involved alcohol and you need to do a hard(er) workout? Do you skip it? Push through it? Add extra electrolytes? I’m trying not to beat myself up. I had actually broken through a plateau this week by giving up dairy. That pad thai and beer will definitely set me back a pound or two for a few days I’m sure. I will KCKO but I truly wish I didn’t feel like I’ve been hit by a truck this morning. My race is March 24th and the past few weeks I’ve been stuck indoors on the treadmill due to crappy weather and today the weather is going to be perfect for a long run. Pray for me lol

(David Cooke) #2

I’m not sure that my solution has a scientific basis, but last time I sinned, I followed up with a 24 hour fast. (That is, Keto breakfast next day, then 24 hours). My thinking was that if I was still in ketosis I would be able to do that (I did), and if I wasn’t then I would be back In ketosis shortly, probably suffering the while.
I managed a morning run and actually did OK.

(Tamela Robinette) #3

That sounds like a plan! Second cup of coffee did not motivate me so I guess I’ll whip up some bacon and eggs, give it a little time to digest and then head out for my run. Fasting is definitely on schedule, lately I have not been hungry and only eating OMAD, so hopefully I can breeze through a 24 hour fast. Thanks for the feedback! It makes perfect sense!

(Scott) #4

I am lacing up my shoes and putting on my headphones set to 2KD podcast and going for a run and I know I will feel awesome after. Enjoy! :running_man:

(Tamela Robinette) #5

I know I will feel better once I’m out there, that’s always the case! Enjoy your run!

(PSackmann) #6

Be mindful that you may be dehydrated from last night, and go into your run with the mindset that you can bail if your body just isn’t feeling right. Better to miss today’s scheduled 10-miler than to injure yourself trying to fit to a schedule.

(Scott) #7

Fasted run complete. (4.3 miles) as I am needing to build my miles back up after bad weather limited getting out. I can’t do treadmills. I feel great and after fasting through breakfast I am starting to contemplate turning this into a 24 hour fast.

Hi Tamela - You might have already decided what to do but if you do go out, you can go out for time rather than distance or the same distance but just run/walk if necessary. It’s all about time on your feet. It won’t affect your half. With regards to food, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and carry on the good work. If you’ve been ketoing and running the past 2 months you’ll be fat adapted. That won’t change with 1 rubbish day. Enjoy the better weather :slight_smile:

(Tamela Robinette) #9

I did it! Slow and steady and those last 2 miles were hell but I feel mostly good about it. I did really enjoy the weather. I’m really sore, guessing that’s my body reacting to the crap carbs lol. Gonna take a lazy afternoon nap and maybe a good soak in the tub. BTW, I opted against eating as I was feeling nauseous, so the run was fasted. I still don’t feel like eating. Have a birthday dinner to attend in a few hours at a steakhouse so maybe I’ll feel like eating then, fingers crossed! Also, I think we should start a thread where we can log our runs and keto victories. It’s so nice to have like minded keto runners to converse with.

(Scott) #10

I use runtastic what do you use? And um, you might want to skip the birthday cake.

(Tamela Robinette) #11

I have a Fitbit Ionic but it’s connected to Strava. I will probably switch to a Garmin or Samsung when this Ionic dies. I’ve had a lot of issues with Fitbit. Yeah, I definitely will not be having cake lol but a rib ribeye is starting to sound good now❤

Well done on the run and getting through it. Enjoy the ribeye. Had a bit of the same problem. Didn’t eat too much (!) that wasn’t keto when we were out last night but I drank too much. So a bad nights sleep and a hangover but have just got back from a very slow 20 miles. Really cross with myself.

(Tamela Robinette) #13

Wow 20 miles with a hangover! Remarkable! I thoroughly enjoyed that ribeye along with some mushrooms sauteed in butter and a salad. Hubby always buys thick cut sirloins but I think I’m going to start asking for ribeye for the extra fat. I have a beautiful pot roast in the slow cooker right now for dinner tonight. Really looking forward to it. Sunday is my rest day and we always go bowling but I won’t be partaking in any alcohol, at least not today. The scale went up 1.5 pounds yesterday but I was right back down today. Quite pleased with that! Have a great day!

(Esmeralda Castañeda) #14

Best of luck on race day!! I’m set for a half marathon (13.1 miles) on March 31st. I’m wondering if I can run it keto, or if I’ll fall back to carbs for energy to get through it. What do you recommend pre meal and during the race snack or drinks? I’m hoping to get it done in 3 hours it’s my first.

Esmerelda - You can definitely run a half with keto WOE. But if you want breakfast on the day don’t have too much and run at a steady pace throughout. You really shouldn’t need anything to eat during a half but if you do , I personally would steer clear of energy gels. How long have you keto’ed and are you fat adapted yet? Do you normally run fasted? I’m off for a 10 mile run now. All I ever have for breakfast at the moment is coffee with some double cream.

(Tamela Robinette) #16

I run fasted as well, heavy cream in my coffee. Have a heavy protein meal the night before your race, like a nice big ribeye with some veggies in butter. You may want to try this meal in advance of a couple of long runs to make sure you don’t have tummy troubles the next morning. I’ve become so used to running fasted and not eating breakfast I can’t imagine eating before a race but some people do it. I did order some salt stick chews that should arrive today. I hear some people swear by them every 30 minutes on long runs. Good luck! Keep us posted!