Fell off the wagon during business trip

(Azeem Q) #1

I’ve been on keto for a month. I lost 11 pounds. It’s amazing I haven’t even been hungry all this time, tracking around 700-800 calories Everyday and carbs not exceeding 20g.

Anyway, yesterday I flew into japan for business and suddenly I’ve been hungry. I took the coffee with cream, still hungry and I didn’t last, I went ate ramen and to top is all off, I had mango pudding. It felt good.

I’m scared to step on scale now.

What do I do? I’m here still for next 8 days with beautiful food around me. My colleagues have arranged a lunch and dinner for me tomorrow.

I’m so sad, don’t know what hit me today.

Where to go from here? I had another 10-15 pound to lose before today happened!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Don’t stress out about it. One meal won’t put you back, it’s a stutter step. Just get back on the wagon. I think with careful selection you can do this even in Japan. Try yakatori, sashimi, Japanese pickles (avoid the sweet ones) shabu shabu hot pot. I’m not an expert on Japanese foods just a fan. Shirataki noodles might have been available when you ate ramen. Or get the soup without noodles and extra toppings. You can do this, I know how difficult travel can be doing keto. I think @Gaff lived in Japan maybe he can offer some suggestions.

And 700-800 calories is starvation mode, DON’T DO THAT! It will stall weight loss when your body starts to panic metabolically. Have you done much investigation about how to start keto eating? ALERT @juice !

(Carl Keller) #3

Focus on the vegetables, fish and meat. Try to avoid the noodles and rice. If the boss is paying for your meals, eat Wagyu beef at every opportunity!

And definitely try not to stress over it. You likely ate poorly for most of your life so a week where you had some noodles and rice is nothing in comparison to your diet history.

(Azeem Q) #4

Thanks David for letting me know about starvation mode, but I just don’t feel hungry on fat, how to eat more? Any tips?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

Avocados, cheese, fatty meats and fish (canned sardines or mackerel) salmon, tuna with mayo, nuts, if it’s allowed for you salami, pepperoni and bacon, eggs, heavy cream in coffee. Use plenty of butter or coconut oil to cook with and dress steamed vegetables. Some people make fat bombs, I never have felt it was necessary for me.

This is just me, but if I were in Japan for a week I would be taking a short break from pure keto and just eat as low carb as I can (under 200 grams).

Also you’re eating very low calorie, so it’s no wonder that you’re hitting the restaurants starving and tempted to eat everything :slight_smile:. That’s not recommended on keto.

My advice? Enjoy your trip. The Japanese are a very healthy people and unless you’re eating three square meals of CoCo Curry, you’re gonna be OK.

I lived there for two years teaching English, so get out there are enjoy a country known for its incredible cuisine while avoiding super carb-riden dishes like ramen (and definitely can avoid the obvious, sugary beverages or desserts).

Anyway some may disagree but that is what I would do!

Edit: This strategy may not apply if you are eating keto in order to reverse diabetes or other health issues.

Oh I didn’t even think of shirataki noodles – great idea.

Based upon my time in Japan, you could probably do low carb at an Izakaya – lots of finger meats (yakitori) and sashimi, soups/salads etc.

Harder time may come in kansai areas – more flavorful, deep-fried staples like takoyki and okonomiyaki… mmmm.

Ok this thread is making me hungry.

(Running from stupidity) #8

Damn sleep.

Keto is this easy (Keto for beloved noobs)

This is for Phase One - the starter phase. It’s still not complicated later, but this is the really easy to explain version which will help you no end.

• Eat under 20g of carbs a day

• Don’t worry about the scale. All it tells you is weight, it tells you nothing about body composition, even the “smart” scales.

• Eat plenty of good food - fat and protein - while adhering to 20g/carbs/day. Don’t worry too much about macros and calories EXCEPT carbs. Keep them below 20g/day. (Prioritize the animal protein (i.e. not protein powder) - always start with protein in every meal, but don’t panic about it.) Your job is to get fat-adapted, so give your body the fuel you want it to use. Also, your appetite will vary - it’ll disappear, then it’ll come roaring back. Happens to most people, don’t sweat it.

• ELECTROLYTES/SALT - KEEP THEM UP

• Buy the meat you can afford - don’t stress about grass-fed, organic (con), etc… The worst meat is better than the best bread.

• Fasting is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less. Works for lots, not for others. Don’t let tools tell you to use it before you’re fat-adapted and it makes sense.

• This site has a search function (magnifying glass at the top of the page) and a newbies section - use them both, you’ll get a better variety of answers to your questions far more quickly that way. SERIOUSLY, THIS IS VERY USEFUL.[1]

That’s as difficult as it needs to be for a couple of months.

My good friend Terence (being friends with a Kiwi feels kinda dirty, but there you have it, keto makes for strange bedfellows) tells me this thing I have described above is called “dirty keto.” So yeah, do dirty keto, kids! :slight_smile:
Lots of Love, THE JUICE

Expanded version is HERE

[1]If you can’t find a useful answer after searching and reading for a while, we can help you a lot more if you tell us relevant data about yourself such as your reasons for doing keto, your weight/height/age/gender, a sample menu plan & any relevant health conditions.

(Azeem Q) #9

Thanks everyone, I didn’t eat anything today so far. Will try and keep it as Low carb as i can and enjoy japan too

(MooBoom) #10

I find adding an acid to cut through the fat incredibly helpful if I want to consume more calories. It prevents my satiety from hitting early.

Eg

• eggs and bacon with a lemony hollandaise sauce
  • a squeeze of lemon juice over a fatty cut of meat (or over a bed of creamy spinach etc)
  • an ACV or red wine vinaigrette over a fatty salad
  • a wedge of lime squeezed over a steak taco bowl

You get the idea :wink:

(MooBoom) #11

Poor @juice :joy:

(Running from stupidity) #12

I get so little of it I shouldn’t really complain. I thought keto meant you slept better :slight_smile:

(MooBoom) #13

Nope, not my n=1 anyway! I’m too goddamn energetic on keto for much sleep.

(Running from stupidity) #14

#sleepworldproblems