Fell off the horse...again

keto
beginning
food

(Crystal) #1

I’ve been trying keto for over a month now. I’m determined to make it my lifestyle. However, it’s hard. It’s extremely hard to part with desserts. Ice cream, bread, donuts (MY ALL TIME WEAKNESS), brownies, cookies, pasta, noodles. It’s extremely hard.

However, I am doing this to lose weight and for the focus it can give me. I have depression and feel like this will really help with it.

Fall and try again. I can do it. I believe in myself.

(Robert Hollinger) #2

perhaps it helps that i’ve been mostly low carb for years (save for the way too frequent binges) and my downfall is primarily starchy carbs. I really don’t miss the sweet stuff even though it’s fun to make a keto treat now and again. but since I have gone completely keto, I find that I don’t even crave the starchy carbs. You just gotta fight through it and not cheat. I haven’t really had much bread in years. but crackers, chips, fries, etc were all an initial craving. The only thing I occasionally crave still is french fries. oh and aunty anne’s when i’m at the mall. on that subject, I made some pretzel sticks from fat-head pizza crust and brushed with butter and prezel salt and oh my…it wasn’t aunty anne’s but I suspect if I add a little swerve to the dough it may be just as good.

maybe focus on a couple of things that you are really craving and find a keto version of it to see if it is enough to get past the craving. or just eat some fat is what they say but I’m personally not there yet.

(Rob) #3

At this point, the horse may be unaware that it is supposed to be ridden :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It sounds like you need to break the psychological addiction to these sweet treats and maybe other things. You can make the keto treats but that won’t break the psych issues. For sweets try to tell yourself “These are poison… they make me sick” (fat, unhealthy etc.). It is not a lie you tell yourself, it is the truth. If you don’t fully believe it, read more about it in these forums or elsewhere until you believe it. You wouldn’t pick up a bottle of bleach and say, “Hmm, wonder if this lemon flavor tastes nice?”. You need to break your addiction. I was hooked on donuts and thought the recommended portion size of Krispy Kremes was ‘One Dozen’ but now I look at them and say - “Not Food… poison” and while the memories of the taste, mouthfeel and emotional attachment do come in, they don’t overwhelm the essential truth… these were killing me.

PS - You’ve posted basically the same story many times in the past couple of weeks with more or less supporting info so you might want to consider adding to your prior posts to avoid repetition of advice. Or do what others do - make one long accountability post that you update regularly so all the advice is in one place. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/progress/accountability

(Buffy) #4

Yesterday was a real eye opener! When some really messed up happened regarding my health & cancer journey, I told my self I was choosing to have a carby treat. Realized too late that I flipped the switch and gave the goahead for my default stress response : CANDY, CANDY, OOOH SOUR CANDY!. Last night due to the physical ramifications of this situation, my body wouldn’t sleep, gave me a bit of a hallucinations, and in my sleep mind you, had me eating moose tracks ice cream, fighting with my pops, etc.
So this morning I’m more lucid. Cravings are over the mooon! Can’t say I’m truly hungry. Sticking to strict, simple, keto. Back on the horse :racehorse: and away we go!
One bonus I was. Back down 3 lbs! I had lost 8 but yesterday, had bloated & regained. KCKO!